George R.R. Martin Has A Twist For Someone HBO's Game of Thrones Killed Off

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
George R.R. Martin Has A Twist For Someone HBO's Game of Thrones Killed Off

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/781/781935.jpgWhen The Winds of Winter finally launches, it will have a plot twist for a character HBO's Game of Thrones - not George R.R. Martin - killed off.

It's no secret HBO's Game of Thrones <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/moviesandtv/reviews/13766-Game-of-Thrones-Season-5-Premiere-Review-The-Wars-To-Come#&gid=gallery_4016&pid=1>made several changes to George R.R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire, a trend which will absolutely continue in Season 6. Yet it seems the latest novel - <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/165736-Game-of-Thrones-Creator-Astonished-by-Fans-Positive-Response-to-Winds-of-Winter-Delay>The Winds of Winter - will widen that gap farther than we expected. While Martin couldn't share spoilers, he did confirm The Winds of Winter has a major plot twist involving a character HBO killed in a previous season.

"I have decided to do that, yes," Martin said, referencing last year's vague statements that this twist was a possibility. "Will you know it? I don't know. It's fairly obvious, because it's something that involves a couple of characters, one of whom is dead on the show, but not dead in the books. So, the show can't do this, unfortunately, because they've killed a character that I have not killed.

"But that doesn't narrow it down much," he continues, "because at this point, there are like, fifteen characters who are dead in the show who are still alive in the books."

Naturally, this will get the internet speculation machine running in no time, and raises the question of whether HBO will have its own version of the twist. Depending on what exactly happens, another figure could possibly fill the deceased character's role. Either way, it's just another reason to look forward to both versions of the critically-acclaimed fantasy series.

[gallery=5848]

The really interesting part to me is these lore changes aren't uncommon historically. There are countless variations on, say, the King Arthur myths which developed over the course of generations. With Game of Thrones, we actually have the chance to watch them grow in real-time, and it's going to be fascinating to watch where all these characters end up.

Source: GamesRadar

Dominic Crossman

Apr 15, 2013
Unfortunately I have no interest in the books unless he manages to finish the series, simply because he looks like he'll die long before then.

Seracen

Sep 20, 2009
Part of me feels like GRRM is doing this in retaliation to the books being outpaced by the series. I can understand the sentiment, to a certain extent. Wasn't he supposed to have given the show-writers the "Cliff's Notes" version of the story and finale? Just seems odd to me...

ritchards

Non-gamer in a gaming world
Nov 20, 2009
Meh, I'm sure if the plot is that interesting, they'll just assign it to another character. They've already done plenty of that.

(I assume. Never watched the show.)

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
The title of this article actually gave me an aneurysm. I think the title needs to be rethought.

OT: Eh, I feel like he did that just for the hell of it. I don't think the guys is a good writer, personally. I don't think he would be nearly as popular as he is if not for that show, and I think he kind of resents that a bit.

That said, I don't think this will be much of an issue with the show. It's so far removed from the source material as it is, that they can work the twist in a different way.

martyrdrebel27

Feb 16, 2009
Baresark said:
The title of this article actually gave me an aneurysm. I think the title needs to be rethought.
right?? I never wanted to physically fight a title so badly. I wanna punch it in it's face.

FirstNameLastName

Premium Fraud
Nov 6, 2014
I know the purpose here is to get clicks, but it would be kind of nice if news sites wouldn't publish quasi-spoilers in the title. Revealing that there is going to be some major twist connected specifically to a character that has been killed off in the show, but not the book, just means people have a decent chance now to see it coming since you've now narrowed it down.

Oh well, I've already resigned myself to the fact that the hype around this show is going to be absolutely insipid, to the point that I'll probably have to watch each episode immediately or have it spoiled by the internet.

Deathfish15

Nov 7, 2006
Baresark said:

OT: Eh, I feel like he did that just for the hell of it. I don't think the guys is a good writer, personally. I don't think he would be nearly as popular as he is if not for that show, and I think he kind of resents that a bit.

That said, I don't think this will be much of an issue with the show. It's so far removed from the source material as it is, that they can work the twist in a different way.
Show us your novels, otherwise you might need to sit down and shut up. For your information, the show exists based on his good writing and not the other way around. His books existed well before the series and it was the directors of the HBO series that approached Martin to do the show after they'd read his books back in 2006.

He's done some very good award winning work in the past 40+ years that has been adapted by The Outer Limits (SandKings) and work with Stephen King (The Skin Trade, turned into a graphic novel series).

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Dominic Crossman said:
Unfortunately I have no interest in the books unless he manages to finish the series, simply because he looks like he'll die long before then.
This has been my feeling for a while now. Not so much on the not caring, per se, but that he'll probably die first, leaving HBO to be the ones soley capable of the crowning glory. His own fault, really.

the.chad

Nov 22, 2010
My money would be on

Barristan Selmy
Still can't believe they killed him off in the show :(

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
the.chad said:
My money would be on

Barristan Selmy
Still can't believe they killed him off in the show :(
I knowwwwww that character was one of my favorites.

I went from "Now Barristan's going to show them how it's done" to "WTF" in seconds.

Kahani

May 25, 2011
Fanghawk said:
The really interesting part to me is these lore changes aren't uncommon historically. There are countless variations on, say, the King Arthur myths which developed over the course of generations. With Game of Thrones, we actually have the chance to watch them grow in real-time, and it's going to be fascinating to watch where all these characters end up.
That's really not unusual though. Lord of the Rings, Hitch-hiker's Guide, Star Wars, Star Trek, Dragonlance, most of the rest of D&D for that matter, the entire history of comics, pretty much any franchise that has had more than one writer or appeared in more than one medium. There's nothing at all special about A Song of Ice and Fire having different people think different things should happen, and there's not even anything particularly uncommon about seeing multiple versions happen at the same time - comics in particular frequently share characters and story arcs between different authors and different series at the same time. Watching lore change in real time is the only reason people are able to have arguments about what should be considered "canon", and anyone writing on a site like this can't fail to be aware just how much that happens.

RonHiler

Sep 16, 2004
Feels like a desperate attempt to stay relevant.

Does anyone even care anymore about the books? It's not like he's ever going to finish them.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Seracen said:
Part of me feels like GRRM is doing this in retaliation to the books being outpaced by the series. I can understand the sentiment, to a certain extent. Wasn't he supposed to have given the show-writers the "Cliff's Notes" version of the story and finale? Just seems odd to me...
He did, and since a few of the books are crammed with content that was cut, such as
The Greyjoy fleet going on a hunt to find a horn that controls dragons,
we can assume that the show-dead but book-alive person will have minimal if any impact on the overall story.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Deathfish15 said:
Baresark said:
Show us your novels, otherwise you might need to sit down and shut up. For your information, the show exists based on his good writing and not the other way around. His books existed well before the series and it was the directors of the HBO series that approached Martin to do the show after they'd read his books back in 2006.

He's done some very good award winning work in the past 40+ years that has been adapted by The Outer Limits (SandKings) and work with Stephen King (The Skin Trade, turned into a graphic novel series).
"Show us your novels" is hardly a valid point. I am allowed to harbor an opinion about someone's writing that does not match your own. No one tells an art critic to paint a picture when he says he doesn't like a piece. I never claimed to have read all of his work, so I'm sure that are things out there that are quite good. But I haven't read them because the things I have tried to read have been, in my opinion, abysmal and boring with terrible characterization, even if the overall material was creative and interesting.

Charcharo said:
Baresark said:
\
He has won numerous awards before he even started A Song of Ice and Fire. And truth be told... his works are far beyond the scope of the show (and to be fair the entire mediums of Cinema and Gaming, just to rub it in) ... quality wise that is.

It is just the unfortunate reality that books are not as popular as TV. That is all really.
I'm just giving my opinion. Lots of authors win awards who I don't think are very good writers. Lots of authors win awards who are, objectively, bad writers. That doesn't mean that everyone is going to dislike them though, clearly. I just have tried reading many of his novels and could never get through a single one. That is me. My opinion of him an author is not damning of anyone who likes his work by any stretch.