Batman V Superman Drops Fight Clip On Jimmy Kimmel Live

JaredJones

Jun 8, 2015
Batman V Superman Drops Fight Clip On Jimmy Kimmel Live

As part of his annual post-Oscars special, Jimmy Kimmel offered an exclusive look at a crucial scene from the upcoming blockbuster.

The lead-up to Batman vs. Superman: Dawn of Justice has been an interesting mix of excitement and preemptive dismissal, with fans seemingly torn between the film's impressive cast and its somewhat cram-packed plot. In either case, Zack Snyder surely has his work cut out for him, what with Dawn of Justice being rumored to be the most expensive movie ever made [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.883805-Batman-vs-Superman-Rumored-to-Be-the-Most-Expensive-Movie-Ever-Made].

With the film's big premiere drawing ever-nearer, Jimmy Kimmel invited Ben Affleck onto his yearly post-Oscars show to talk all things Dawn of Justice, which mostly resulted in an extended gag [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uP4d9YtzkXk] about Kimmel's arch enemy (and Affleck's former writing partner), Matt Damon. When it came time to get down to the movie itself, however, Affleck got right to it, dropping an exclusive clip from Dawn of Justice which has since made its way online.

In it, Bruce Wayne and Clark Kent's alter egos do battle atop a Gotham skyscraper. While The Man of Steel obviously holds the strength advantage, it is the Dark Knight who is able to gain the upper hand (if only momentarily) by deploying...a smoke bomb.

That's right, Batman tricks the Superman -- x-ray vision-having, all powerful Superman -- with a smoke bomb.

Personally, I think Kimmel's "cameo" in the film shows a lot more promise.

Source: Jimmy Kimmel Live [https://www.youtube.com/user/JimmyKimmelLive]

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
So after watching that clip, I have one question...

...who's going to pay for the damage to that building? 0_0

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
Hawki said:
So after watching that clip, I have one question...

...who's going to pay for the damage to that building? 0_0
No one. All damages caused by superpowered beings duking it out is fixed overnight by leperchauns.

Seriously though, unless the writers specifically turn it into a plot point, the collateral damage in superhero comics/movies is rarely brought up. It's sort of endemic to the genre.

One of the few examples I can think of right now is Syndablokk from Empowered, who can animate and command masonry, concrete and pavement, but prefers not using this power because of the massive levels of inherent property damage.

Extra-Ordinary

Elite Member
Mar 17, 2010
Huh, nice catch, Supes.

You know, I'm typically not the cynical type, but I hope these forty-four seconds aren't indicative of how intense the fight's gonna be.
Whatever, I'll think positive and hope the fight's awesome.
Thought it was kinda funny how Bats held up that grenade, seemed kinda over-dramatic for a simple smoke bomb.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
You know, I found the "deleted scene" way more entertaining. Probably because it was funny. Maybe DC should allow jokes in their movies. I mean, yeah, most of their movies have been jokes, but that barely counts.

As for the actual clip, it wasn't really that impressive. I hope that have better than that in the actual movie.

Darth Rosenberg

Oct 25, 2011
A few naff seconds of a naff fight is worth showing why? Apart from the last trailer, the marketing for this film's been woeful.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
MrCalavera said:
Something Amyss said:
Ah. So Batman's going to be a threat because Superman is dumb.
Now we see that BatmanDarkness will always triumph, because BatmanGOOD is BatmanDUMB.
Does this mean that Batman wins by offering to shake Supes' hand, only to palm some Kryptonite?

Only for Batman to lose to some shaving cream?

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
This is probably the only biggest laugh I will get out of the film other than the small chuckles.

SirSullymore

Mar 26, 2009
Man, so many people are opposed to the more serious tone of this film. Well I for one found the overly jokey tone of Age of Ultron super grating and loved Daredevil and Jessica Jones, so I'm all for the more serious BvS.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Eh, we'll have to see. I don't hate how this movie looks, I just can't get excited for it.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
Extra-Ordinary said:
Huh, nice catch, Supes.

You know, I'm typically not the cynical type, but I hope these forty-four seconds aren't indicative of how intense the fight's gonna be.
Whatever, I'll think positive and hope the fight's awesome.
Thought it was kinda funny how Bats held up that grenade, seemed kinda over-dramatic for a simple smoke bomb.
That's one of Batman's most underappreciated but best weapons: theatricality.

Darth Rosenberg

Oct 25, 2011
SirSullymore said:
Man, so many people are opposed to the more serious tone of this film. Well I for one found the overly jokey tone of Age of Ultron super grating and loved Daredevil and Jessica Jones, so I'm all for the more serious BvS.
Serious is fine, but so far doesn't BvS just look like an insecure try-hard bordering on camp? That mini clip alone makes Superman look like a bit of a lemon.

SirSullymore

Mar 26, 2009
Darth Rosenberg said:
SirSullymore said:
Serious is fine, but so far doesn't BvS just look like an insecure try-hard bordering on camp? That mini clip alone makes Superman look like a bit of a lemon.
I totally get that perspective (with the "do you bleed?" bit being the nadir of that) but a majority of what I've seen story wise is very interesting to me. I'm fascinated that they are exploring the political, philosophical and religious ramifications of Superman's appearance in the world. As for the action, well I admit I am a huge fan of how Snyder does action, especially now that he has dropped the slo-mo thing. This movie has the most Batmaney fighting Batman has ever done in screen, IMO.

As for Superman in the clip, you kind of have to do that to keep Batman in the fight.

Darth Rosenberg

Oct 25, 2011
SirSullymore said:
I totally get that perspective (with the "do you bleed?" bit being the nadir of that) but a majority of what I've seen story wise is very interesting to me. I'm fascinated that they are exploring the political, philosophical and religious ramifications of Superman's appearance in the world.
I'd put money on this film "exploring" anything political, philosophical or religious in the same way the X-Men films have 'explored' themes of evolution, both social and biological. That is to say: it'll barely be more than lip service.

MoS's first teasers made it seem like it would have a decent throughline of poignant character narrative, and we all know how that film turned out.

As for the action, well I admit I am a huge fan of how Snyder does action, especially now that he has dropped the slo-mo thing. This movie has the most Batmaney fighting Batman has ever done in screen, IMO.
All the wayward promos have got me interested in Affleck/Snyder's Batman, and it almost seems like they looked at the Arkham games for a reminder of how the character should fight (I love the first two Nolan films, but fight choreography and action really weren't up to much), which is fine by me.

As for Superman in the clip, you kind of have to do that to keep Batman in the fight.
That's not a good starting point for a compelling head to head.

SirSullymore

Mar 26, 2009
I'm not saying that this will be some great study in humanity, just that I appreciate that they're at least attempting to do something other than the standard super hero plot (even Deadpool, for all its style, had the standard super hero plot). I have no delusions that its going to be anything other than Batman and Superman have a philosophical disagreement - get manipulated by Luthor into fighting each other - team up to fight the big bad with Wondy jumping in (possibly being the one to broker peace between them).

Well as someone who did not dislike MOS (didn't love it though) I am fairly confidant that the screen play being written by Chris Terrio will be much better.

I've never been a fan of the Batman/Superman rivalry being physical in nature, but with a movie called Batman vs Superman, you kind of have to a have a fight and you kinda have to drag Superman down to make it viable.