Disney XD Announces Big Hero 6 TV Series

JaredJones

Jun 8, 2015
Disney XD Announces Big Hero 6 TV Series

On a scale of 1 to 10, how would you rate your happiness?

If which... [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/142499-Taken-Red-Training-Day-and-More-All-Greenlit-for-Small-Screen-Series]), there at least 50 movies currently being turned into television shows. That's 5-0.

A brief run-through of some of the more memorable titles: Taken, Rush Hour, Red, Training Day, Galaxy Quest, Friday the 13th, The Mist, Sin City, Ghost, Fatal Attraction, Big, Resident Evil,...freaking Marley & Me. The list goes on and on, and that's not even including the handful of shows based on movies already on the air, like Limitless or Minority Report.

Next up on the list: Disney's Big Hero 6

Collider [http://collider.com/big-hero-6-tv-series-disney-xd/] passes along word that Emmy Award-winning producers Mark McCorkle and Bob Schooley will be bringing the Oscar-winning, animated megahit to the small screen sometime in 2017, with fellow Emmy winner Nick Filippi executive producing.

"...the series picks up immediately following the events in the feature film, and continues the adventures and friendship of 14-year-old tech genius Hiro and his compassionate, cutting-edge robot Baymax. Alongside Hiro and Baymax on their journey are control freak Wasabi, scientist Honey Lemon, fanboy Fred and no-nonsense Go Go, who together form the legendary superhero team, Big Hero 6. As the new prodigy at San Fransokyo Institute of Technology, Hiro now faces daunting academic challenges and the social trials of being the little man on campus. Off campus, the stakes are raised for the high-tech heroes as they must protect their city from an array of scientifically enhanced villains."

While none of the voice talent has been cast yet, there's no denying the potential that Big Hero 6 has in this format. Heck, the movie itself was like a 90 minute episode of everyone's favorite Saturday morning cartoon, so we'll make sure to keep you up to date on Big Hero 6 as the series develops.

Source: Collider [http://collider.com/big-hero-6-tv-series-disney-xd/]

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
I don't know about this. The tv series movie spin offs haven't been very good lately. Maybe it's just a dream works thing, but Madagascar, How to Train Your Dragon, and Kung Fu Panda have all been pretty bad.

FirstNameLastName

Premium Fraud
Nov 6, 2014
Disney XD

I kind of cringed at the XD in their name. I know it's probably some kind of acronym, but the internet has well and truly ruined that combination of letters.

kajinking

Aug 12, 2009
I really hope this is good. I personally liked Big Hero 6 more than Frozen so I'd love to see more. My only worry is that the animation or voice acting might take a serious hit as it's TV only and not a big budget film.

shintakie10

Sep 3, 2008
Ukomba said:
I don't know about this. The tv series movie spin offs haven't been very good lately. Maybe it's just a dream works thing, but Madagascar, How to Train Your Dragon, and Kung Fu Panda have all been pretty bad.
How to Train Your Dragon's television series weren't...terrible? I mean, they're nowhere near as good as the movies, the much smaller budget is very noticeable, and while the original voice cast was there they just felt wrong somehow, it did expand the universe pretty nicely. Some of the stories weren't half bad either.

Kung Fu Panda's one was fuckin awful though. None of the cast was there so everyone sounded wrong. It barely expanded on the universe in any meaningful way, and holy shit was the animation terrible compared to the movies. The stories took everything terrible from the movies and amped it up to a billion. I kept waiting for them to focus more on the rest of the cast and give them some meaningful story time, but nope. Just more adventures of Po the most annoying fuck in the universe. Ugh.

That being said, cautiously optimistic? Disney XD has been home to some really good television over the years (and a lot of really bad television).

That being said, I recently canceled my cable subscription which means I wont get to watch it anyway unless I do something drastic. Like buy a full series on Amazon like I did for Star Wars Rebels. Overpriced bullshit right there.

hentropy

Feb 25, 2012
Yeah, that's about the least surprising TV series reveal ever. I knew as soon as the credits rolled on Big Hero 6 that, while they could and still could make a lucrative movie series off of it, its place would be as a TV show. The only surprising thing is that it too this long to announce it.

If it's consistently half as good as the original movie, it'll be a winning series in my book.

Leg End

Romans 12:18
Oct 24, 2010
Country
United States
FirstNameLastName said:
Disney XD

I kind of cringed at the XD in their name. I know it's probably some kind of acronym, but the internet has well and truly ruined that combination of letters.
It's either just to sound cool or I'd bet "Extreme Disney". Doesn't sound much better actually...

Nov 28, 2007
LegendaryGamer0 said:
FirstNameLastName said:
Disney XD

It's either just to sound cool or I'd bet "Extreme Disney". Doesn't sound much better actually...
Looking it up, Disney XD doesn't seem to stand for anything. Just in case anyone was wondering.

As for this, it could work...but the question is whether Disney is willing to put in any effort besides cashing in on a popular product.

Leg End

Romans 12:18
Oct 24, 2010
Country
United States
thebobmaster said:
Looking it up, Disney XD doesn't seem to stand for anything. Just in case anyone was wondering.
I don't know if that's better or worse.
As for this, it could work...but the question is whether Disney is willing to put in any effort besides cashing in on a popular product.
They have a... somewhat decent track record at the moment for mostly giving a shit about their shows(Disney in general at least, XD can have... issues) so I'd imagine it is safe to be mildly excited.

Tahaneira

Social Justice Rogue
Feb 1, 2011
I'm sorry, Taken is being turned into a TV show? What, do various shady groups have a rota for who gets to kidnap his daughter and then get ventilated this week?

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Ehhhh why does this need to exist?

There's obviously going to be a second movie, and as we have seen with Star Wars, Disney has no qualms with throwing away canon to suit the plots of their movies.

Either this show is going to be incredibly restricted with what they'll be able to do, or whatever they do indeed come up with will be made irrelevant by Big Hero 7.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Bob_McMillan said:
Ehhhh why does this need to exist?

There's obviously going to be a second movie, and as we have seen with Star Wars, Disney has no qualms with throwing away canon to suit the plots of their movies.

Either this show is going to be incredibly restricted with what they'll be able to do, or whatever they do indeed come up with will be made irrelevant by Big Hero 7.
That haven't stop Dreamwork pumping out their How to Train Your Dragon and Kung Fu Panda tv series before the sequels got release. The series is probably their highschool hijinx follow by whatever superheroes stuff they. The sequel however be starting off with the group are already the establist superheroes group.

Draconalis

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2008
There can be some real potential here.

Remember, Big Hero 6 is Marvel... and Marvel has made some pretty good series in the past.

I'll be optimistically skeptical. I do like me some Big Hero 6, and would love more of it.

Quellist

Migratory coconut
Oct 7, 2010
The plot of the film dropped way too many idiot balls to get a pass with me. I guess a TV series could work but I'm not hopeful

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008

Gonna say that I got mixed feelings about this. Did like BH6, am not sure if a TV show will live up to the movie.