Black Desert Online

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
Black Desert Online

The character creator is the most interesting thing in Black Desert.

Read Full Article

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
I just took a look as some examples on Google Image. Those player characters look pretty damn real. Almost uncanny valley real, as if they had taken their own faces and photoshopped them onto the characters.

Karadalis

Apr 26, 2011
If only the game had more interesting and NOT gender/age/weapon locked classes... it sounds like an mmo from the olden days.

I mean what fun is it that your class is tied down to a single weapon type? Never got the whole class/genderlock stuff and why its so prominent in asian mmos.

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
I heard something good on a BroTeam video once: that a Korean MMO's success is measured by how many people it's killed. I can probably think of five better ways to die just off the top of my head. Anyway, with bodies like that, I'd just pass away sad and disappointed to be living in Scotland.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Soooooo it's basically the exact same as TERA, Blade and Soul, and every other Korean-made MMO?

Objectable

Oct 31, 2013
Karadalis said:
If only the game had more interesting and NOT gender/age/weapon locked classes
aaaannnnnddd there goes any interest I had in the game.
Any MMO or game with a character creator that gender locks it's classes is automatic no in my book.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
sageoftruth said:
I just took a look as some examples on Google Image. Those player characters look pretty damn real. Almost uncanny valley real, as if they had taken their own faces and photoshopped them onto the characters.
It was the first thing I did too. At first, I didn't think much of it. Just another fans-service-laden Korean MMO with female characters that have that 'realdoll' look to them.

Then I saw that one person apparently turned himself into Fantasy White Michael Jackson (and a really good likeness to boot). While I still wouldn't play it, the game was immediately redeemed in my eyes.

Remus

Reprogrammed Spambot
Nov 24, 2012
One batch of cumber coming up

The Michael Jackson is truly uncanny

When this game has an American release I may just try it out just for the character creator.

Ragsnstitches

Dec 2, 2009
MMOs aren't my bag, but I'd play this just for the character creation. Is it a premium game with subscriptions or f2p with microtransactions?

Karadalis

Apr 26, 2011
Ragsnstitches said:
MMOs aren't my bag, but I'd play this just for the character creation. Is it a premium game with subscriptions or f2p with microtransactions?
Its a pay to play with cosmetics for cash.. kinda like guild wars 2 or the secret world nowadays.

However:

If you want to stand out you more likely then not will have to purchase customes from the cash shop

Jacked Assassin

Nothing On TV
Jun 4, 2010
I looked at the official website (I think) & they didn't show anything like this.

But even seeing this doesn't get me excited for an MMO that isn't ESO.

The "Waifu" & "Hideous" are still too human for my liking.

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
RatGouf said:
I looked at the official website (I think) & they didn't show anything like this.

But even seeing this doesn't get me excited for an MMO that isn't ESO.

The "Waifu" & "Hideous" are still too human for my liking.
Black Desert has a lot of diversity in species. They currently have Human, Pointy Ear Human, and Tall Human. If that isn't enough, they're already working on Short Human and Really short Human.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
RJ 17 said:
Soooooo it's basically the exact same as TERA, Blade and Soul, and every other Korean-made MMO?
nah, TERA and BnS have reasons to play past 'bewbs' Black Desert is just 'pretty'. It's got no story to follow so far and while the combat system is rather deep, again, so far, I've not had a reason to really learn what skill is good for what. Blade and Soul for example, will start beating your ass if you don't pick up whats good for what and when before the end of the 1-20 zone.

Especially if you rolled a KFM

SweetShark

Shark Girls are my Waifus
Jan 9, 2012
I am weird to say I find more appealing the "ugly" character than the Elf? 100 times I would select this one.

infohippie

Oct 1, 2009
Lunar Templar said:
RJ 17 said:
Yeah, but who rolls a Kung Fu Master? They can't even be Lyn! Warlocks and Force Masters are much more fun.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
infohippie said:
Lunar Templar said:
RJ 17 said:
Yeah, but who rolls a Kung Fu Master? They can't even be Lyn! Warlocks and Force Masters are much more fun.
I did!

she's a Gon, and my main to.

sides, I has 2 Lyn a Force Master and Lyn Blade. They are adorable, and not in that creepy pedo way the Elin are.

infohippie

Oct 1, 2009
Cool, I have two Lyn and two Jin myself: force master, blade master, summoner, and warlock. It's pretty fun!

Not sure I agree about Tera's Elins, of which I have four myself. Yes, they can be pretty sexualised, but I can't see them as children or even particularly child-like. There are actual children in the game in some towns and they look nothing at all like an Elin. I think people are way too quick to label anything small with cute aspects as "child-like". Elins are more a type of faerie than anything.