Spider-Man Finally Revealed in Latest Civil War Trailer

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
Spider-Man Finally Revealed in Latest Civil War Trailer

Look out! Here comes the Spider-Man.

For months now, Marvel has kept our collective Spidey-sense tingling with promises that Spider-Man, a character notably absent from the MCU until now due to legal shenanigans with Sony, would be appearing in Captain America: Civil War. Fans have been clamoring for a look at everyone's favorite radioactive high school student for months. Well wait no longer. Check out the trailer to the right.

Well, there he is. Whatever legal wizardry [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/137926-Marvel-And-Sony-Rumored-In-Talks-For-Spider-Man-Avengers-Crossover] Marvel pulled off to bring the character back into the fold has paid off. Spider-Man plays such a central role in the original Civil War event that it's difficult to imagine how even a heavily adapted version of the story would work without him.

So how about that costume? We only get a brief look at it in less than ideal lighting conditions, but personally, I'm a fan. It's seems less textured than the 2002 and 2012 versions, giving the web-slinger a smoother more straight-off-the-page look. The shrinking eyes with the thick black outlines are a nice call-back to his classic, pre-McFarlane mask design.

He sounds young too. Very young. Baby-faced actor, Tom Holland [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/141324-Marve-And-Sony-Cast-New-Spider-Man], is 19, but this version of Spider-Man sounds a lot more high school than college. I think it works. A big part of Peter Parker's arc in the Civil War event was his conflicted loyalty to and awe of competing father figures, Iron Man and Captain America. A younger Spider-Man, one young enough to actually be either character's kid, makes that parallel a lot clearer.

There's a ton of other tidbits and references to be found in the trailer - Is that structure rising from the ocean the metahuman prison (designed by Reed Richards in the comics)? Is that an IRON MAN WRIST WATCH? etc - so sound off in the comments if you notice anything juicy.

Captain America: Civil War swings into Cinema May 6th.

[gallery=5947]

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
That Spider-Man outfit looks awful, though the youth in the voice seems to fit right. Outside of that this trailer leaves me with the same meh feeling as the last one did. Oh well.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
What the...I hate Spider-Man's voice in this. I realize that the actor is quite young but that's one annoying and monotonous sounding voice at the same time. He doesn't sound like he's in the scene at all. He sounds depressed like he doesn't care that he's there at all. Hopefully it's just that one line that's annoying because if that's how he's gonna sound for the entirety of the movie then I won't be able to enjoy this.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Not sure about the new Spidey suit. I know Marvel wants to distance themselves from the previous incarnations, but I sort of miss the texture. Also, does this mean Stark provided Parker with that suit? Seeing as there's some tech going on in there.

UsefulPlayer 1

Feb 22, 2008
Loooooved the trailer. Only made me realize how far away May 6th is.

I thought the first trailer was good but this one definitely takes the cake. I think it is interesting that the other heroes waaaaay out shine Captain America or Ironman. Black Panther, Ant-man, and Spider-Man are killin' it. I mean we'll pretty much be waiting for them to show up on screen in between the actual drama.

But I gotta admit Robert Downey Jr. ain't pulling punches either. The surprised/hurt face when he blocks the bullet with his wristwatch/glove? Damn.

I love pretty much everything about the new Spider-Man, although the costume was abit jarring. The moving eyes were absolutely the right call. Voice/line is on point and captures the young Spider-Man spirit perfectly. I suspect both of these will play into some great scenes. I think the costume will grow into its own.

ShakerSilver

Professional Procrastinator
Nov 13, 2009
Looks pretty good. A little surprised they spoiled that death in the trailer - though given the last scene has the same character in it, it could either be the case that the trailer's chronology is off or that the character isn't quite dead.

Spidey seemed a little off though. Firstly, that was a really awkward "hey everyone". I hope the rest of is performance doesn't sound like that. Then there's the CG eyes - I liked it on deadpool, but I'm not sure they really fit for Spidey, and the way they just shrank when he squinted looked kind of off. Lastly, the suit looks a little weirdly designed. They could have just used the same suit from ASM2 - it was pretty much the only thing that movie got right.

Mahorfeus

Feb 21, 2011
The Spider-Man scene actually took me out of it a bit. It just seemed... surreal, finally seeing him in the cast. Maybe it's just shock. The trailer as a whole looked pretty fun though.

King_Julian

Jun 10, 2009
never minds the fact the suit looks awful.........the trailer shows waaaaayyyyyy to much of the movie off.........i mean leave some for us to actually watch when it comes out.

......oh but other than that i still cant wait to see it!

Kajin

This Title Will Be Gone Soon
Apr 13, 2008
How many other people got totally thrown out of the trailer by Spiderman's voice? That is way too young sounding to be heard alongside everyone else.

Nov 28, 2007
In all fairness to how Spider-Man sounded, that line may have been quite awkward, but considering he's a 15 year old kid caught in the middle of a Civil War between super-powered beings, the phrase "out of his depth" comes to mind, and he probably feels about as awkward and shaky as he sounds.

That said, with how much the trailer seemed to show, I think it's safe to say that not everything is what it seems.

P-89 Scorpion

Sep 25, 2014
thebobmaster said:
In all fairness to how Spider-Man sounded, that line may have been quite awkward, but considering he's a 15 year old kid caught in the middle of a Civil War between super-powered beings, the phrase "out of his depth" comes to mind, and he probably feels about as awkward and shaky as he sounds.

That said, with how much the trailer seemed to show, I think it's safe to say that not everything is what it seems.
Tom Holland was 19 last June he's 20 in 3 months so he is not a 15 year old kid.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
While I get that they went with the classic Spidy suit but it still look too cgi! It's the lack of texture that is doing it for me. Also the animated suit eyes will take some getting used to. Yes I know they did it with Deadpool but his animated eyes were small so it's not that noticable unlike Spidy big eye vision.

Also why is it they making it out that Rhode is going to be killed or maybe not?

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
Scarim Coral said:
While I get that they went with the classic Spidy suit but it still look too cgi! It's the lack of texture that is doing it for me. Also the animated suit eyes will take some getting used to. Yes I know they did it with Deadpool but this animated eyes were small so it's not that noticable unlike Spidy big eye vision.

Also why is it they making it out that Rhode is going to be killed or maybe not?
I think there is more going on with his eyes than we think. You can hear wiring, kind of a mechanical sound when his yes retract, i think they are there for more than just expression, it might be to protect his eyes during combat or kind of a zooming in feature to see further.

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
P-89 Scorpion said:
thebobmaster said:

Tom Holland was 19 last June he's 20 in 3 months so he is not a 15 year old kid.
He is playing a character in Highschool though, so he could well be playing a 15/16 year old.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
That costume is awful. Please be fixed for the movie proper.

Holland is...okay? I dunno. One line. Not enough to go on.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Did... Did Stark really just say "Underoos" to call Spider-Man? I mean it totally works with RDJ's character, but I may have just been hearing things.

Amaror

Apr 15, 2011
Wow, these trailers make is pretty hard to support Captain America with Bucky on his team. I mean killing Rhodes, trying to kill Stark, he just seems about as much of an asshole as he was in the movie were he was the actual antagonist.

chocolate pickles

Apr 14, 2011
Tony Stark seems even more of a douche than usual in this one. Then again, i'm still wondering why the private buisnessman who had previously refused to spill his secrets beforehand is now in favour of government regulation.