Samurai Warriors 4 Empires Review - Too Much Stuff To Do

MyLifeIsAnRPG

Jan 20, 2011
Samurai Warriors 4 Empires Review - Too Much Stuff To Do

Wait, how does my rice production effect troop morale again?

Read Full Article

monkeymangler

Feb 9, 2016
Sounds like everything I expected, though if you're playing on normal, you're doing it wrong.

SW2: Empires was the best Empires game of all time (and one of my personal favorite games ever) and everything I have heard makes me so happy for next Tuesday.

SIDE NOTE: For all the anti-preorder people:

If you don't preorder niche games like this, the store may not stock them. Happens a lot in Portland, OR. I pre-ordered it, and it's gonna be a blast.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
[quote="monkeymangler" post="6.935711.23557420"
If you don't preorder niche games like this, the store may not stock them. Happens a lot in Portland, OR.[/quote]

Weird to hear, since I've never had any trouble finding a Warriors game or any of my games in a town with like, 1% of the population of Portland.

Though these days, I usually just buy digital anyway.

ChupathingyX

Jun 8, 2010
Sounds like DW8E with all of its large amount of superfluous stuff that served no purpose other than to unnecessarily convolute things. After being largely disappointed with both DW8E and SW4 I don't have high hopes for this but I'm still getting it anyway. At the very least, this game should let me execute Takakage which is good enough for me.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
ChupathingyX said:
Sounds like DW8E with all of its large amount of superfluous stuff that served no purpose other than to unnecessarily convolute things. After being largely disappointed with both DW8E and SW4 I don't have high hopes for this but I'm still getting it anyway. At the very least, this game should let me execute Takakage which is good enough for me.
Pfft, DW8E was awesome! I loved having my games invaded by countless anime characters! Or characters named after anime characters, at least.

And of course who could forget Mike, the fabled warrior of legend?! :p

Seriously though, I would kill someone in front of their own mother for them to make an Orochi Empires game with the full cast from Warriors Orochi 3 Ultimate. o.o

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Sounds like a typical copy-paste review of a Warriors game for people with copy-paste opinions of Warriors games. I miss Sterling.
monkeymangler said:
Sounds like everything I expected, though if you're playing on normal, you're doing it wrong.

SW2: Empires was the best Empires game of all time (and one of my personal favorite games ever) and everything I have heard makes me so happy for next Tuesday.

SIDE NOTE: For all the anti-preorder people:

If you don't preorder niche games like this, the store may not stock them. Happens a lot in Portland, OR. I pre-ordered it, and it's gonna be a blast.
I like DW5E more, but SW2E is near similar quality as it. Also it depends on your area. Sometimes I think Gamestop near me just buys a copy or two knowing I will be picking it up without having to actually pre-order. Though Warriors games are more popular than people like to admit.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
MyLifeIsAnRPG said:
There's an option that determines whether or not female officers show up. Its oddest option I've ever seen.
"Would you like to deny the existence of females in power, for your power fantasy?? Well look no further! (or at all) We got that covered for ya. Nothing worse than an immersion-breaking woman in power, amirite guys?"

I wonder if that was a fan requested feature. If it's being a niche market would imply a dependence on fan-pleasing to stay in business unless they have some untold amassing fortune.

ChupathingyX

Jun 8, 2010
RJ 17 said:
Seriously though, I would kill someone in front of their own mother for them to make an Orochi Empires game with the full cast from Warriors Orochi 3 Ultimate. o.o
I vaguely recall one of the producers from Koei stating that they will not be making a game like that.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
ChupathingyX said:
RJ 17 said:
I vaguely recall one of the producers from Koei stating that they will not be making a game like that.
Oh I know they'll likely never make a game like that as there's no real set timeline and generals' loyalties are dependent upon which game you're playing. As such they couldn't setup a number of different scenarios the way they traditionally do with Empires spin-offs.

.........just saying that's my absolute fantasy Warriors game. :3

Empires has always been my favorite aspect of the Warriors franchises because I grew up playing the Romance of the Three Kingdom strategy games, as such I really like the strategy aspect of the Empires series. With the Orochi franchise being my favorite from all the Warriors games (Come on, it's a cross-over with ALL the characters and 3 even brings in guest characters!), it's only natural that my dream game would be Orochi Empires. :p

Ryu, Fuma, and Lu Bu = BEST TEAM EVAR!

monkeymangler

Feb 9, 2016
RJ 17 said:
ChupathingyX said:
RJ 17 said:
Oh I know they'll likely never make a game like that as there's no real set timeline and generals' loyalties are dependent upon which game you're playing. As such they couldn't setup a number of different scenarios the way they traditionally do with Empires spin-offs.

.........just saying that's my absolute fantasy Warriors game. :3

Empires has always been my favorite aspect of the Warriors franchises because I grew up playing the Romance of the Three Kingdom strategy games, as such I really like the strategy aspect of the Empires series. With the Orochi franchise being my favorite from all the Warriors games (Come on, it's a cross-over with ALL the characters and 3 even brings in guest characters!), it's only natural that my dream game would be Orochi Empires. :p

Ryu, Fuma, and Lu Bu = BEST TEAM EVAR!
I see your team and raise you Wang Yi, Sterkenberg, and Kyubi. Wang Yi is an absolute officer killing machine, Sterk's musou might be one of the most awesome ever and his X-6 does massive work, and the freaking fox is an unkillable god.

monkeymangler

Feb 9, 2016
Something Amyss said:
monkeymangler said:
Weird to hear, since I've never had any trouble finding a Warriors game or any of my games in a town with like, 1% of the population of Portland.

Though these days, I usually just buy digital anyway.
Yeah, it happened with Sengoku Basara 3's English release and with Warriors Orochi 3 Ultimate.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
monkeymangler said:
I see your team and raise you Wang Yi, Sterkenberg, and Kyubi. Wang Yi is an absolute officer killing machine, Sterk's musou might be one of the most awesome ever and his X-6 does massive work, and the freaking fox is an unkillable god.
Yeah, I don't count Orochi, Shin-Orochi, or Kyubi considering how hilariously overpowered. Hell, that team right there would be unstoppable! :p

As for musou's, I've always liked Joan's. It doesn't look like much, but god damn...whenever the little animation ends EVERYTHING around her dies.

Here's the real question though: do you play with "standard" weapon stats or do you go for God Mode? And by that I mean slapping Brilliance onto any given weapon. :3

monkeymangler

Feb 9, 2016
RJ 17 said:
monkeymangler said:
Yeah, I don't count Orochi, Shin-Orochi, or Kyubi considering how hilariously overpowered. Hell, that team right there would be unstoppable! :p

As for musou's, I've always liked Joan's. It doesn't look like much, but god damn...whenever the little animation ends EVERYTHING around her dies.

Here's the real question though: do you play with "standard" weapon stats or do you go for God Mode? And by that I mean slapping Brilliance onto any given weapon. :3
I go by GameFAQs rules, so no Brilliance or the other all attribute skill, and no super dungeon weapons.

If I can't use Kyubi, I'll happily sub in Ginchiyo Tachibana. That X-7 does hilarious levels of work.

DEAD34345

Aug 18, 2010
Xsjadoblayde said:
MyLifeIsAnRPG said:
There's an option that determines whether or not female officers show up. Its oddest option I've ever seen.
"Would you like to deny the existence of females in power, for your power fantasy?? Well look no further! (or at all) We got that covered for ya. Nothing worse than an immersion-breaking woman in power, amirite guys?"

I wonder if that was a fan requested feature. If it's being a niche market would imply a dependence on fan-pleasing to stay in business unless they have some untold amassing fortune.
It's a hold over from their grand strategy titles. Koie was originally known for their historical grand strategies set in Three Kingdoms China and Sengoku Jidai Japan, and the Warriors series are spinoffs of those games. The grand strategies were actually grounded in reality, so all of the officers and rulers were male, as they were in real life in those periods and places. Then the option for females to take a full part in the game and be treated the same as the males was added later.

... In other words you have it exactly backwards. The existence of powerful females was an a-historical feature added to the games to please the fans.

In this game I can actually understand why people might want to turn it off. If the appeal of the game is running around fighting in armies with all the famous legendary warriors of the Sengoku Jidai, well, the women weren't among them. In fact several of the female characters in this game were outright invented by Koie, and the few historical ones were usually uninvolved with any fighting.

OT: I always feel like these Empires game come so close to being something really amazingly cool, but are just that bit too shallow to really make it. I enjoyed Dynasty Warriors 8: Empires, but it was just so easy, even on the hardest difficulties. I don't want to pick this one up if it's basically the same but in Japan...

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
monkeymangler said:
RJ 17 said:
monkeymangler said:

I go by GameFAQs rules, so no Brilliance or the other all attribute skill, and no super dungeon weapons.

If I can't use Kyubi, I'll happily sub in Ginchiyo Tachibana. That X-7 does hilarious levels of work.
Ginchiyo's always been a favorite of mine, too.

I was thrilled when they added Kasumi to the roster for WO:Ultimate since she's my DoA main. And while I can definitely do good with her, she's a bit too squishy and can be tricky to use effectively.

Another favorite team of mine is Lu Bu, Honda, and...I forget the other guy's name, he's the dude that has a cute little fox with him and attacks with magical paper figures.. I call them the Lawn Mowers because...well...they mow through the enemy. *drum rimshot*

monkeymangler

Feb 9, 2016
Lunncal said:
Xsjadoblayde said:
MyLifeIsAnRPG said:

It's a hold over from their grand strategy titles. Koie was originally known for their historical grand strategies set in Three Kingdoms China and Sengoku Jidai Japan, and the Warriors series are spinoffs of those games. The grand strategies were actually grounded in reality, so all of the officers and rulers were male, as they were in real life in those periods and places. Then the option for females take a full part in the game and be treated the same as the males was added later.

... In other words you have it exactly backwards. The existence of powerful females was an a-historical feature added to the games to please the fans.

OT: I always feel like these Empires game come so close to being something really amazingly cool, but are just that bit too shallow to really make it. I enjoyed Dynasty Warriors 8: Empires, but it was just so easy, even on the hardest difficulties. I don't want to pick this one up if it's basically the same but in Japan...
Well, in Japan during the Sengoku period, both Li Naotora and Ginchiyo Tachibana actively fought in battles, with Ginchiyo being a female daimyo for a short time after her father's death and before she married.

DW8:Empires was way too easy and way too lazy, but everything strategy wise in SW4: Empires looks a lot better. That said, playing on Hard may not be enough considering how powerful musou burst is.

monkeymangler

Feb 9, 2016
RJ 17 said:
monkeymangler said:
RJ 17 said:
monkeymangler said:

Ginchiyo's always been a favorite of mine, too.

I was thrilled when they added Kasumi to the roster for WO:Ultimate since she's my DoA main. And while I can definitely do good with her, she's a bit too squishy and can be tricky to use effectively.

Another favorite team of mine is Lu Bu, Honda, and...I forget the other guy's name, he's the dude that has a cute little fox with him and attacks with magical paper figures.. I call them the Lawn Mowers because...well...they mow through the enemy. *drum rimshot*
Seimei Abe. Never been a huge fan of his moveset. I like Kasumi (though I'm a Christie main in DoA), but her sweeping attacks cause me to whiff more times than I would like.

My secondary team has been Nobunaga Oda (because his true musou clears out entire sections and serves as an effective "screw this" button), Zhong Hui (That musou build rate is awesome on his X-0) and Nezha (Human) as a strictly superior Sanada Yukimura.

DemomanHusband

Sep 17, 2014
I have to say, this is a two-fer when it comes to firsts for me. Not only is a Warriors game being said to have lots and lots to do, but it's being construed as an issue with it! 'Nobody has time to read a manual' my butt! Hopefully this gets a nice sale sometime soon once everybody doesn't buy the DLC.

...Who am I kidding?...

DEAD34345

Aug 18, 2010
monkeymangler said:
Lunncal said:
Well, in Japan during the Sengoku period, both Li Naotora and Ginchiyo Tachibana actively fought in battles, with Ginchiyo being a female daimyo for a short time after her father's death and before she married.
Huh, cool, I had no idea. That sounds really interesting and I just tried looking it up, but for some annoying reason Google and Wikipedia seem to have almost no information on them at all. Where did you find that out?

DW8:Empires was way too easy and way too lazy, but everything strategy wise in SW4: Empires looks a lot better. That said, playing on Hard may not be enough considering how powerful musou burst is.
Yeah, that was kind of the big problem for me with DW8:E... Even if the strategy elements were brilliant and complex (which they weren't), it doesn't matter if you can easily just fight the entire world in single combat and win without it. Considering Samurai Warriors 8, I'd expect that to be the case here, too. None of the enemies in that game seemed able to put up the slightest bit of challenge to the player at all.

Still, I'm holding on to some hope. Guess I'll just have to see when it comes out.

monkeymangler

Feb 9, 2016
Lunncal said:
monkeymangler said:
Lunncal said:
Huh, cool, I had no idea. That sounds really interesting and I just tried looking it up, but for some annoying reason Google and Wikipedia seem to have almost no information on them at all. Where did you find that out?

Yeah, that was kind of the big problem for me with DW8:E... Even if the strategy elements were brilliant and complex (which they weren't), it doesn't matter if you can easily just fight the entire world in single combat and win without it. Considering Samurai Warriors 8, I'd expect that to be the case here, too. None of the enemies in that game seemed able to put up the slightest bit of challenge to the player at all.

Still, I'm holding on to some hope. Guess I'll just have to see when it comes out.
Tachibana Ginchiyo (立花 誾千代?, September 23, 1569 ? November 30, 1602) was head of the Japanese Tachibana clan during the Sengoku Period. She was the daughter of Tachibana Dōsetsu, a powerful retainer of the Ōtomo clan (which were rivals of the Shimazu clan at the time). Because Dosetsu had no sons, he requested that Ginchiyo be made family head after his death. About five years later, Ginchiyo was married to Tachibana Muneshige, who carried on Dōsetsu's family line.

She then participated in the Kyushu Suppression campaign serving under Hideyoshi Toyotomi where she met her future husband.

Both from wikipedia, though no sources cited for either.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tachibana_Ginchiyo
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tachibana_clan_%28samurai%29