Tropico Studio Announces New City Builder: Urban Empire

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Tropico Studio Announces New City Builder: Urban Empire

Urban Empire combines traditional city building features with political scheming and strategical events.

Kalypso Media, best known as the publisher behind the Tropico franchise [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/tropico%205?os=%20tropico%205], has announced a new city building game: Urban Empire. "Urban Empire is a 'City Ruler', pioneering a new breed of strategy game that combines city builder features with political scheming and adds profound social and historical events into the mix, creating a whole new gameplay experience," said the company in a press release.

You can check out Game Developers Conference [http://store.steampowered.com/app/352550]. It is being developed by Finnish dev Fragment Productions.

Take control of a mayoral dynasty at the start of the Industrial Age. Establish infrastructures, plan city districts, debate political decisions at the town council, bribe or blackmail your opponents, empower the democratic rights of your people or ignore them and reign supremely by yourself - the decision is yours! Master the challenges of 200 years of societal changes: face political struggles, experience world-changing events and pioneering inventions, and eventually, Be a Mayor Player and create your very own Urban Empire!

[gallery=5952]

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Oh come on!
Why is it so impossible to have a City Sim with Rapture in it?! Is it SO much to ask to be the oligarchical head of a underwater dystopian paradise of mutants?!

Ldude893

Apr 2, 2010
Silentpony said:
Oh come on!
Why is it so impossible to have a City Sim with Rapture in it?! Is it SO much to ask to be the oligarchical head of a underwater dystopian paradise of mutants?!
Meh, I prefer to be an autocratic leader of a flying city plagued by early 20th century era race politics and class warfare.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
Now that we've thoroughly gone over the subject of power mad despots overseas, it's time to bring it back to the states with our homegrown power mad despots.

Silentpony said:
Oh come on!
They need to save that stuff for the expansion packs/sequels.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
weirdee said:
It's called stripped out DLC these days.

OT; I hope they keep the same kind of humour found in the Tropico games.

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
008Zulu said:
weirdee said:
It's called stripped out DLC these days.

OT; I hope they keep the same kind of humour found in the Tropico games.
I hope that they can get the mechanics figured out. The problem with most of their strategy titles is that they ostensibly permit various tactics and play styles, but you quickly end up following the same tactic every level, over and over. In Tropico, there is no advantage whatsoever to playing as an evil despot, the only reason to do it is for the fun of it. But it isn't even more fun, because it has no visible effect on your city. In Omerta, you have to get businesses to like you before they will business with you...but you are in a goddamn gangster simulator, why aren't you able to force people to work with you?

I like the themes to their strategy games, but the gameplay never seems to be terribly well thought out. It's a bit too rough around the edges.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
maninahat said:
The problem with most of their strategy titles is that they ostensibly permit various tactics and play styles, but you quickly end up following the same tactic every level, over and over. In Tropico, there is no advantage whatsoever to playing as an evil despot, the only reason to do it is for the fun of it. But it isn't even more fun, because it has no visible effect on your city.
Not wrong about Tropico. I always get my rum distillery and cigar factory up as soon as possible. Those two alone will solve your money issues. Afterwards, it's just a matter of completing the objectives as they pop.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
im probably one of those stupid people that play Tropico for city building instead of its humour that gets boring fast. So i think this game is a very interesting prospect.

Zydrate

Apr 1, 2009
I don't think anyone will top Cities Skylines for a while, at least for me. Everything else has too many menus or mechanics. Skylines is a simple "plug in, have fun".

StatusNil

Oct 5, 2014
Curious. Never having heard of this developer, I googled them, and it turns out that they're from the same town as Colossal Order.

Aside from wondering how intense their local rivalry gets, this raises the fascinating question of whether it has any bearing on their game design. Like, is this a superbly designed urban Utopia... or such a clusterhug that it is the primary fantasy of every local to create their own instead and show how it's done?

Frankster

Space Ace
Mar 13, 2009
Although Tropico 4 left me lukewarm (as did its dlc practices), I'm always up for a new city builder so guess I'm moderately looking forward to this.

Kahani

May 25, 2011
Sound interesting. I'm not sure the talk about Tropico is particularly relevant though; it's being made by an entirely different developer, they just happen to share a publisher. That may mean it gets a similar DLC model with a constant trickle of overpriced minor additions, but there's no reason to expect the actual game to be particularly similar to Tropico.