The Young Messiah - Jesus' Superhero Origin Story

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
The Young Messiah - Jesus' Superhero Origin Story

The Young Messiah is Jesus' childhood filtered through the lens of the most boring superhero origin story you'll ever see.

Read Full Article

Parasondox

Jun 15, 2013
Boooo!! Give the rights back to King James!!! Or is it Moses, who published the damn thing? Did they at least stick to the source material?

Mr.Mattress

Level 2 Lumberjack
Jul 17, 2009
I think the only reason this film exists is because of that Iranian movie, Muhammad: Messenger of God [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muhammad:_The_Messenger_of_God_(film)], which is about a young Muhammad experiencing life pre-Islam. Obviously not to be outdone, Christians had to be reminded of the young life of Jesus, and thus a film of Jesus' youth was made. The only difference is that Christians forgot how to make great movies about their religion, where as today we get films like God's Not Dead and Kirk Cameron Saves Christmas, instead of films like The Ten Commandments and The King of Kings.

Still, I've heard it's better then the former two, and that there are good things about this film. As a Catholic myself, perhaps I'll one day watch it. I certainly won't be seeing it in theaters, though.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Didn't this film come out before as Super by James Gunn? Guy get's message from god, guy wants to make world a better place, guy evidently nuts but gains followers somehow even more insane than him, tragedy occurs endlessly? Or...something along those lines anyway.
There be curiously a concentration of Christian myth movies lately, have they only just realised its potential? Maybe one day in the future we will get to see a big budget blockbuster for Clash of the Religions where all manner of Gods and Godessess battle to their glorious CGI death. Then after all the rubble clears and no god is left alive, we tiny humans appear dazed and confused but instantly required to clear up whoever else's mess this must be or be punished for all eternity. /spoilered.
I can't, however, imagine they're too pleased with Spotlight slipping out for Oscars during these releases.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
That's OK, we all know that the first superhero films are usually the boring ones. In the next one now that we don't have to worry about his origin, we'll get a full 110 minutes of Jesus fighting the combined might of The Green Goblin and The Joker (because the second film ALWAYS has two bad guys, always).

Can Jesus keep his secret from his girl Mary Magdalene? How will he explain the cape? What about the times he has to run off to fight crime? Will we get Emo Jazz dancing Jesus or is that being saved for the third film? What a time for super hero movies!

I just wish that they'd stop rebooting these damn movies. It wasn't the best film but Passion of the Christ 2 was solid! Just give it room to breath movie people!!!

Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
United States
Well that's a shame. Jesus did a few interesting things when he was young.

For example, did you know Jesus killed a kid?[sub] ("Infancy Gospel of Thomas" has the details if you're interested.)[/sub]

Anyway, Jesus pushed him off a roof apparently. But kid Jesus is still JESUS, so he just brought his friend back to life.
Still wasn't a nice thing to do, but at least he made up for it I guess? :/

I don't know. Would you forgive your friend for killing you, if they brought you back to life right after?
Anyway, he grew out of that phase, thank God. ;p

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
And people say Superman is boring. It's funny how they gave that kid playing 8-year-old Jesus his adult version's hair. That's less obvious that strapping a big "THIS KID'S JESUS!" sign to his back, with neon lights.

Godzillarich(aka tf2godz)

Get the point
Legacy
Aug 1, 2011
Cretaceous
Country
USA
Imp Emissary said:

For example, did you know Jesus killed a kid?[sub] ("Infancy Gospel of Thomas" has the details if you're interested.)[/sub]

Anyway, Jesus pushed him off a roof apparently. But kid Jesus is still JESUS, so he just brought his friend back to life.

I don't know. Would you forgive your friend for killing you, if they brought you back to life right after?
You joke but that could have actually worked for the movie. If this movie was about a normal and flawed kid growing into the kind man he would become it could have made a very interesting, and thoughtful film, and given humanity to him. but no, that would offend Christians so they made this boring shit.

CyanCat47_v1legacy

Nov 26, 2014
One of the reasons i'm glad i don't live in the united states is the fact that so many terrible movies are released there. yes of course everybody get the big failiures like green lantern, presumably due to the sinister machinations of some sort of sadistic cult ruling over the hollywood marketing department. But how do you people survive the neverending stream of terrible comedies, patriot-paranoia fetishism and shovelware religious propaganda?

Zydrate

Apr 1, 2009
So another movie set in Egypt. I ask yet again, where the hell are all the black people?

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Zydrate said:
So another movie set in Egypt. I ask yet again, where the hell are all the black people?
No one cares because this story is about Jesus, and as we know Jesus is as white as the wind-driven snow, looks exactly like a young Ted Nugent, and his whiteness spread to everyone around him, making them white as well. It was the first miracle he ever performed.

Padwolf

Sep 2, 2010
It's a shame they don't make a biblical horror film. The bible has many grizzy tales to use. They could make the stories in the bible a lot more interesting than just "jesus travels around and does some stuff."

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Padwolf said:
It's a shame they don't make a biblical horror film. The bible has many grizzy tales to use. They could make the stories in the bible a lot more interesting than just "jesus travels around and does some stuff."
Nobody behind making these religious movies wants you think of anything but Jesus going around and doing stuff. To remind people of all the horrible things in the bible is to invite criticism about their moral authority on all that is right and good in the universe. They don't want you to remember that their compassionate god, ordered a tribe to kill the other tribe, but to take all the young girls for themselves, or any number of other terrible things he's reported as doing. No no, don't think about that stuff "That's the old testament, you have to pay attention to the new testament". Don't read the bits that support slavery and rape and obeying your government because if they are in the position of government, then obviously god wants them there. No no, just, here, have jesus, he's a happy good person, follow him, forget everything else. Ignore the man behind the curtain!"

CyanCat47 said:
One of the reasons i'm glad i don't live in the united states is the fact that so many terrible movies are released there. yes of course everybody get the big failiures like green lantern, presumably due to the sinister machinations of some sort of sadistic cult ruling over the hollywood marketing department. But how do you people survive the neverending stream of terrible comedies, patriot-paranoia fetishism and shovelware religious propaganda?
We don't watch them? It's worked wonderfully for me for years.

Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
United States
tf2godz said:
Imp Emissary said:

You joke but that could have actually worked for the movie. If this movie was about a normal and flawed kid growing into the kind man he would become it could have made a very interesting, and thoughtful film, and given humanity to him. but no, that would offend Christians so they made this boring shit.
Just partly joking. ;D
It would have been interesting stuff to use, but the stories of Jesus as a child didn't even make it into the Bible, so I'm not TOO surprised they didn't put it in a movie.

Still, could have helped make this more interesting. Oh well. Maybe next time.

mtarzaim02

Jan 23, 2014
I like how the movie sh*ts on its sources right from the get-go, by acknowledging jesus wasn't wise or omniscient by birth. Or didn't even knew what he was and why he was around. Nope, no holy spirit in that child.

It implies he got educated somehow, like any normal person has been, and got wise, like any normal person could have been. Or maybe he was struck by divine lightning at the age of 30, and became what he has to become... annihilating any merit he would have in any action he would have taken.
We might have to wait for the sequel, to find the answer.

I'm also suprised christian people are so irrespectful to others sensibilities. Muslims ones mostly. They will certainly be very disappointed of a jesus who doesn't talk since birth so to defend his mother from accusation of prostitutions. Or that joseph guy the qur'an never mentions. Or that demon dude who isn't even a djinn. Or worse, the absence of a guy in white garb speaking from afar so nobody could see his face but everybody knows he's that guy from the future.

And we all know what muslims do when they're disappointed about religious stuff.

the December King

Legacy
Mar 3, 2010
Trick is, is that you'll never get any real tension for a protagonist like Jay Cee, if the protagonist's future is already set.

I read a novel once (to be fair, I only got a chapter in before I had to return it to the owner) about how Jesus wasn't the savior at all, it was his sister. Stuff like this, like the notion that Jesus wasn't the original savior, or got replaced, even- well, it would be heretical, but at least it would be interesting.

And I mean, you wouldn't have to replace Jesus, just imply that it could happen in story, and suddenly you are polarizing the outcome, either the audience become invested in the well-being of the current protagonist, or perhaps look to another character to fill the role, or become interested in whether the antagonist/dilemma will really succeed in changing what you once thought of as canon.

Parasondox

Jun 15, 2013
Padwolf said:
American Christians will hate that. They don't want to see the gore and dark side of the Bible. They want to see their Sunday school version with things being bright and colourful. It's why not many liked Noah. Too dark. Also, The Bible makes Game of Thrones look like a tiny pussycat. Incest, murder, death, war, betrayal, destruction, extreme drama, mythical creatures. Fucking A!!

scw55

Nov 18, 2009
It's a shame that this film is boring and uninteresting.

But as a Christian, I found watching the trailer moving. We (Christians) know Jesus was a person who was a baby to adult. But, to realise it, is something else. Sort of like, reading about a thing, but then you actually see it.

So to imagine Jesus as an old child is very precious for me. Moments from the Bible are metaphorical, supernatural or presented as stories. So it feels raw when you consider them as human moments.,

Of course, if you don't believe Jesus ever existed or that he was the Son of God, what I had just typed will probably mean nothing to you.

Would be nice to have a good film based off Biblical events. Esther could be awesome since the text never explicitly refers to God, but he's in the subtext. That would not alienate non-Christians who are offended by the G/J words. However, I don't know if Hollywood still has issues with portraying well written female lead films.