Minecraft Will Soon Host Sophisticated AI Players

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
Minecraft Will Soon Host Sophisticated AI Players

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/556/556431.pngMinecraft will be taking part in an artificial intelligence experiment using AIX's open-source AI software.

Minecraft is a hugely successful game of exploration and crafting, <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/video-games/columns/experienced-points/15175-Minecraft-is-Still-A-Thing>one that's attracted players for the better part of a decade. Yet Minecraft may have even more to offer the world <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/artificial%20intelligence?os=artificial+intelligence>in terms of AI research. Microsoft recently announced that computer scientists will be using Minecraft as a robust environment in July for developing new artificial intelligences. What's more, Microsoft eventually plans to make this AI code available to players.

That's right - not only could Minecraft become the cutting edge of AI, these programs might join you as you craft entire castles and cities.

Microsoft's experiment is based on AIX, a software platform which connects to Minecraft and lets AI code control the character. Researchers can then watch the AIs progress in real-time, making adjustments and improvements to the code as necessary. While <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/video-games/columns/experienced-points/15325-Is-Outsourcing-Video-Game-AI-to-Deep-Networks-Feasible>granting AI control of our video games is nothing new, Minecraft is a unique case - its environment is so open-ended that the range of simulated possibilities is enormous.

The most interesting factor, however, is that Minecraft's AI is purposely designed to function from a first-person perspective. "It allows you to have 'embodied AI'," AIX principal software engineer Matthew Johnson explained. "So, rather than have a situation where the AI sees an avatar of itself, it can actually be inside, looking out through the eyes of something that is living in the world. We think this is an essential part of building this kind of general intelligence."

What's more, Microsoft believes this research might further human-AI collaboration. Once AIX has allowed the AI to master crafting abilities, they'll be placed in multiplayer worlds to interact with human players.

[gallery=5969]

"People build amazing structures that do amazing things in Minecraft, and this allows experimenters to put in tasks that will stretch AI technology beyond its current capacity," Katja Hofmann of Microsoft Research's Cambridge lab said. "But eventually, we will be able to scale this up further to include tasks that allow AI agents to learn to collaborate with humans and support them in a creative manner. This provides a way to take AI from where it is today up to human-level intelligence, which is where we want to be, in several decades time."

Perhaps the next great leap in intelligent robots won't come <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/166476-Whistleblowers-Are-Saying-that-the-NSAs-SKYNET-Program-May-Be-Killing-Innocents-by-the-Thousand#&gid=gallery_5732&pid=1>from Skynet or some military research lab after all. Maybe it will all start with a humble Minecraft AI tracking supplies for a diamond pickaxe.

Source: <a href=http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-35778288>BBC, via <a href=http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-03-14-minecraft-to-host-ai-experiments>Eurogamer

dateryu

Aug 22, 2011
So when the A.I. overlords take over, they'll build blocky penis statues on our lawns. Could be worse.

Diablo1099_v1legacy

Doom needs Yoghurt, Badly
Dec 12, 2009
Well, if it behaves anything like a human player, I can imagine the robot uprising becoming more likely as they see countless diamonds fall into lava as they and all their fancy shit gets burned.

kenu12345

Seeker of Ancient Knowledge
Aug 3, 2011
I really don't see the point on minecraft .-. Why would I want bots making random shit and messing up things in my or my friend's worlds

xxobot

Jun 2, 2014
kenu12345 said:
I really don't see the point on minecraft .-. Why would I want bots making random shit and messing up things in my or my friend's worlds
For SCIENCE of course.

Level 7 Dragon

Typo Kign
Mar 29, 2011
Diablo1099 said:
Well, if it behaves anything like a human player, I can imagine the robot uprising becoming more likely as they see countless diamonds fall into lava as they and all their fancy shit gets burned.
And then they would establish their own kingdom and raid the settlements of human players.

In all seriousness, considering Minecraft was based on Dwarf Fortress, it would be interesting to have extensive control over the bots and assign different tasks to them. If the technology is sucsessful, it would allow for the bots to barter and create trading routes.

Enemy AI would be able to generate strongholds and adapt the enviorments to combat the player and his/her minions.

2012 Wont Happen

Aug 12, 2009
kenu12345 said:
It would be cool if the player could turn them on or off. A lot of people like building elaborate structures alone, but others, like myself, get really bored with single player because the world feels so empty. Bots would make single player more fun in that regard.

kenu12345

Seeker of Ancient Knowledge
Aug 3, 2011
2012 Wont Happen said:
kenu12345 said:
It would be cool if the player could turn them on or off. A lot of people like building elaborate structures alone, but others, like myself, get really bored with single player because the world feels so empty. Bots would make single player more fun in that regard.
Thats the thing though, I don't see these things being much of a help on elaborate structures and I can just imagine these guys hogging resources are getting diamonds before you get a pickax with fortune

Akytalusia

Nov 11, 2010
the deciding factor on whether this is a good or bad idea, is the influence ratio of griefers to creators.
i wonder which one they'll consider normal...

2012 Wont Happen

Aug 12, 2009
kenu12345 said:
2012 Wont Happen said:
kenu12345 said:
Thats the thing though, I don't see these things being much of a help on elaborate structures and I can just imagine these guys hogging resources are getting diamonds before you get a pickax with fortune
I didn't mean they'd be fun for cooperation. When I used to play a lot I was always a nations server player (I played on krautchan's server most often), so playing without an element of conquest and competition gets boring for me. I like building complex structures, but once one's done it feels like a hollow accomplishment to me if there won't be a war fought over controlling it at some point.