Star Wars: Battlefront To Receive PlayStation Exclusive VR Edition

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Star Wars: Battlefront To Receive PlayStation Exclusive VR Edition

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1297/1297727.png
Sony has announced a new version of Star Wars: Battlefront for the PS4's upcoming VR headset.

Yesterday, Sony revealed <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/166854-PlayStation-VR-Release-Details-Cost-Revealed>new release information about its PlayStation VR headset. Coming out this October, it will cost 399 dollars. Sony also confirmed that it expects "to have more than 50 games available" for it before the end of 2016. At least one of these games will take place in a galaxy far, far away.

Speaking at GDC session yesterday, Sony representatives have announced that a VR compatible Star Wars: Battlefront will be coming to PS4. A number of details are still unclear. The company, for instance, didn't share whether or not the VR edition would have identical content to the standard PS4 version. Sony also didn't deign to share when the VR version would be released. That said, it has been confirmed that VR Battlefront will be a PlayStation exclusive.

While a lot of gamers have had <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/video-games/editorials/reviews/15009-Star-Wars-Battlefront-Review-Electronic-Arts-and-DICE-s-Space-Ba>very legitimate gripes with what EA and DICE have done with Battlefront, I think we can still classify this one as a win for Sony. As we've seen from other recent examples, Star Wars is something that can get even those lukewarm about VR <a href=http://io9.gizmodo.com/a-brand-new-star-wars-vr-experience-put-me-on-tatooine-1764949047>excited for it. The idea that a game as gorgeous (and honestly fun) as Battlefront could be made even more immersive with PlayStation VR could be a genuine selling point for a lot of gamers.

Source: VG247

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
I'm honestly surprised. I didn't know people were still playing it, let alone are projected to STILL be playing it at the end of the year. I mean, Overwatch is releasing in May this year.

ShakerSilver

Professional Procrastinator
Nov 13, 2009
So basically Battlefront: Nostalgic PS2 Graphics Version? From all the PSVR demos I've seen, they've been very light on graphical fidelity, which makes sense given that the device needs to be running at a consistent 90+ fps to look tolerable.

sneakypenguin

Elite Member
Legacy
Jul 31, 2008
Country
usa
VR on the consoles is so dumb you need minimum 60fps and more like 90 to be not induce motion sickness not to mention that the resolution the consoles are putting out are lacking. I guess they could do some "demo" type games where they gut the graphics to hit the fps/resolution goals.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Michael Prymula said:
A win for Sony? LOL yeah right, Battlefront is already having problems with less popular game modes being incredibly underpopulated. A VR edition is not going to magically change people's opinion on that game, I laughed my ass when I read the headline. Nobody in their right mind is going to spend 400 dollars just for a VR edition of a game that already exists.

Also Battlefront "fun"? Now that's truly hilarious! Methinks the guy who wrote that article is a wee bit too much of a fanboy.

Still i'm glad to hear that the VR is reasonably priced compared to the Rift and Vive, which only the 1% can afford.
Arguably, in a DICE game, the smaller modes are always abandoned. Certainly true for Battlefield 4 and Hardline.

And it's less about it being Battlefront in VR and more about Star Wars in VR. That's what is going to be a selling point.

Though I chafe at the idea of having to pay for a game that you already have.