PS4/XB1 Cross-Play on Rocket League is Ready - Waiting on Sony's Approval

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
PS4/XB1 Cross-Play on Rocket League is Ready - Waiting on Sony's Approval

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1010/1010213.jpg
Rocket League developer Psyonix says the technical aspects of PS4/Xbox One cross-platform play are 100% ready.

Earlier in the month, Microsoft made a bold invitation/challenge to rival Sony: let's link Xbox Live and PSN together [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/166838-Microsoft-Cross-Platform-Could-Link-PS4-and-Xbox-One]. Sony has yet to officially accept Microsoft's request, but developer Psyonix: the folks behind Rocket League which would be the first game to take advantage of PS4/Xbox One cross-platform play, says that it has already got it all figured out, and is just waiting on the go-ahead from Sony to flip the switch and turn it on.

Psyonix vice president Jeremy Dunham told GameSpot [http://www.gamespot.com/articles/rocket-league-dev-on-xbox-oneps4-cross-play-weve-g/1100-6435864/] that "Technologically everything works, we've got it figured out, just a little bit of time to get everything up and running. Right now, excitement is the best way to put it. We just want to get in there and make it happen. Elation is probably another word I would use. We're just excited."

He explained that "The only thing we have to do now is sort of find out where we stand politically with everyone, and then it's full steam ahead to finish the solution that we've already started."

Dunham said that the move would be great news for players on every platform: as well as having a much larger pool of people to play with, it would also be able to unify content updates without having to worry abut multiple different closed versions of the game.

When asked about cross-platform play, Sony offered the rather vague response of "We would be happy to have the conversation with any publishers or developers who are interested in cross platform play."

From the sound of things, everything is all ready to go... barring Sony's approval. Come on Sony, I know you don't really like Microsoft that much, but they are extending an olive branch to you here, and this would be great for all gamers! Why can't we all just get along?

Source: GameSpot [http://www.gamespot.com/articles/rocket-league-dev-on-xbox-oneps4-cross-play-weve-g/1100-6435864/]

Sep 14, 2009
full steam ahead, eh?

pun about converting console gamers to pc, no?

(kidding)

OT: can't wait to be honest, plus this will hopefully shake up the rocket league rankings and vibe, I'm tired of playing with/against the saltiest kids on earth, it's like everyone who got banned from LoL or CS went to rocket league instead.

UsefulPlayer 1

Feb 22, 2008
Steven Bogos said:
I feel like there is something to worry abut!

Just kidding, just a little anxious about Sony not jumping on board because they don't want to share their lead in the industry. The excitement of is too much to contain though, time to reconnect with so many friends!

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
Sony: We'd love to do cross-network play but it's v ery expensive and complicated and could take months to...

Rocket league dev: Done it can we let people play together now? :D

Sony: .... Umm.. umm.. legal... and... community and eo8tihuolhdgl

Lufia Erim

Mar 13, 2015
It's a trap. It's obviously a trap. After all the time that Microsoft didn't want to have cross play and now suddenly they want to? Microsoft is plotting something.

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
Lufia Erim said:
It's a trap. It's obviously a trap. After all the time that Microsoft didn't want to have cross play and now suddenly they want to? Microsoft is plotting something.
Any PS4 owner who connects and plays a game against someone with an Xbox One will have Windows 10 installed on his PS4.
The only logical explanation.

Lufia Erim

Mar 13, 2015
BiH-Kira said:
Lufia Erim said:
Any PS4 owner who connects and plays a game against someone with an Xbox One will have Windows 10 installed on his PS4.
The only logical explanation.
Thats not funny, don't joke about that /shudder. That's worst than anything i could come up with.

Jacked Assassin

Nothing On TV
Jun 4, 2010
I don't think this will happen the way Microsoft hopes. I can only picture this happening if its a PSN version connecting to an XBL version. Or Microsoft going through the hassle to have their 1st party titles being played on PS4s.