Ubisoft Opens New Studio in The Phillipines

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Ubisoft Opens New Studio in The Phillipines

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/918/918076.jpg
Ubisoft Philippines will handle co-production of the publisher's AAA titles.

While it's always sad to hear about all the studio closures [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/140481-Borderlands-Developer-2K-Australia-Closing] that seem to be happening with increasing frequency these days, Ubisoft has today given us a bit of good news: it's opening a brand new studio in The Philippines to help with the production of its AAA lineup.

The Philippines studio will be the second Ubisoft studio in south east Asia - joining its Singapore studio opened back in 2008. The New studio will open in the second quarter of 2016, with a goal to hire up to 50 employees in its first year.

Speaking to IGN [http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/03/29/ubisoft-opens-a-new-studio-in-the-philippines], Ubisoft stated that its Singapore team started off just as small and grew to over 300 employees as of 2015. It hopes to achieve the same kind of success in The Philippines. It intends to grow the team to 200 people in five years and begin co-development of upcoming AAA games such as the Assassin's Creed series.

Ubisoft Philippines will be located on the campus of De La Salle University in Santa Rosa Laguna. It will be managed by a five year veteran from the Singapore team, named Chip Go.

Source: IGN [http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/03/29/ubisoft-opens-a-new-studio-in-the-philippines]

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
As someone who lives in the Philippines, is keeping the gaming industry open as a career choice, and is planning to go to that university...

I cannot be happier. Even if I do decide not to get into the gaming industry, this is great news. There tons of Filipino gamers. The local game store here recently renovated to twice its size, and gaming here is even cheaper than it is in the States (prices dropped 30% from the last 6 years). I can guarantee they will meet the 200 developers goal, maybe in even less than 5 years.

surft

Jun 25, 2015
Opening Ubisoft here is good news. Hopefully other developers can open shop here It may also incidentally force the Philippine Government to focus on the terrible internet speed and rampant cyber-crime in my country. I'd like to try applying for a job too:)

ghalleon0915

Feb 23, 2014
While I am ambivalent towards Ubisoft itself, this is pretty cool news since I did go to La Salle so many years ago. Now, hopefully this will help create some much needed jobs for the people there. Although it is pretty smart for Ubisoft, since their startup would be much lower there and so would the wages.

Hm...so does that mean Assassin's creed would play out say....during the 1988 Revolution? It was actually the Templars pulling the strings behind Marcos. OR........I think Far cry would be better suited for the Phils......

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
ghalleon0915 said:
While I am ambivalent towards Ubisoft itself, this is pretty cool news since I did go to La Salle so many years ago. Now, hopefully this will help create some much needed jobs for the people there. Although it is pretty smart for Ubisoft, since their startup would be much lower there and so would the wages.

Hm...so does that mean Assassin's creed would play out say....during the 1988 Revolution? It was actually the Templars pulling the strings behind Marcos. OR........I think Far cry would be better suited for the Phils......
Did you see that pic floating around where the official Ubisoft Facebook group liked the concept art for a Philippine Revolution-themed Assassin's Creed? I thought that was pretty cool, and could actually kind of work.

Aerosteam

Get out while you still can
Sep 22, 2011
That's pretty cool, first time I've heard a major developer open up in my home country. Maybe this'll bring the Assassin's Creed story closer to Asia finally.

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
Brilliant! More cooks to spoil the broth!

Okay, maybe I'm a bit cynical, but with AC in particular I couldn't help but notice an inverse correlation between the quality of the games and the length of their end credits.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Aerosteam said:
Maybe this'll bring the Assassin's Creed story closer to Asia finally.
Ha!

We'll probably get five more games starring Jacob Frye, followed my a trilogy set in some other white European country. Or maybe we'll go back to America.

...yeah, my expectations for Ubisoft are quite low.

kekkres

Jun 5, 2013
Something Amyss said:
Aerosteam said:
Ha!

We'll probably get five more games starring Jacob Frye, followed my a trilogy set in some other white European country. Or maybe we'll go back to America.

I mean, there Isnt really anything else they can cover in white america, we havent had any real conflicts here. They could of course go down into central or south america but that is pretty decidedly not white. Similerly in europe while war was basicly a constant for nearly a millinia, fery few of them had the sort of stand out charicters and political strings to tug on that an assassins creed game needs. Off the top of my head, only the war of the roses really stands out as something they could hook the assassins vs templars conflict into.

talker

Nov 18, 2011
kekkres said:
Something Amyss said:
Aerosteam said:
Ha!

I mean, there Isnt really anything else they can cover in white america, we havent had any real conflicts here. They could of course go down into central or south america but that is pretty decidedly not white. Similerly in europe while war was basicly a constant for nearly a millinia, fery few of them had the sort of stand out charicters and political strings to tug on that an assassins creed game needs. Off the top of my head, only the war of the roses really stands out as something they could hook the assassins vs templars conflict into.
And off the top of my head, we have the 30 years' war, the 80 years' war and the Napoleonic wars all set the stage for a time period with a great deal of political turmoil with a war going on. The perfect situation for an AssCreed game. William the Silent, Gustavus Adolphus and Arthur Wellington would all make interesting characters.

Of course the Victorian era and the years leading up to WW1 would be a great setting too. Colonial Africa, unrest in Russia, Bismarck playing the European powers off against each other to make the Prussian empire the greatest in mainland Europe. This is how Ubisoft climbs back to the top. So what if it's white people? Whether the game features a lot of white people shouldn't have any bearing on whether you enjoy the game or not!

ghalleon0915

Feb 23, 2014
Bob_McMillan said:
Did you see that pic floating around where the official Ubisoft Facebook group liked the concept art for a Philippine Revolution-themed Assassin's Creed? I thought that was pretty cool, and could actually kind of work.
Hm, no I have not. I'll have to check that out. I think that idea has some merit, and may actually get me to play AC again.