Lights Out Trailer: Be Very, Very Afraid of the Dark

JaredJones

Jun 8, 2015
Lights Out Trailer: Be Very, Very Afraid of the Dark

Could James Wan's latest production be the next great horror franchise?

David F. Sandberg's Lights Out has been making waves in the horror community ever since the original short film was unleashed on the Interwebs back in 2013. After making the rounds on the film festival circuit and winning a handful of awards, the short was picked up by James Wan and the production studio Atomic Monster and began shooting back in July, with Sanberg attached as the director.

With the film's early screenings apparently testing through the roof, Warner Bros. and New Line quickly bumped Lights Out up to a massive summer release [http://bloody-disgusting.com/movie/3374121/james-wans-lights-out/], calling it "the next big thing in horror" and a surefire future franchise. Last night, the first trailer for Lights Out was released via Warner Bros. Youtube page, and from the looks of it, the early praise has been well-founded.

Appearing to be equal parts The Ring and Darkness Falls, Lights Out tells the familiar tale of a family forced to fight back when a supernatural entity from their past comes back to haunt them.

When Rebecca left home, she thought she left her childhood fears behind. Growing up, she was never really sure of what was and wasn't real when the lights went out...and now her little brother, Martin, is experiencing the same unexplained and terrifying events that had once tested her sanity and threatened her safety. A frightening entity with a mysterious attachment to their mother, Sophie, has reemerged.

But this time, as Rebecca gets closer to unlocking the truth, there is no denying that all their lives are in danger...once the lights go out.

It may not be breaking the mold in terms of story, but Lights Out certainly looks like the kind of horror film that will find an audience here in the states. Check out Sandberg's original short film below.

Lights Out stars Triple 9's Teresa Palmer and hits theaters on July 22.

PsychicTaco115

I've Been Having These Weird Dreams Lately...
Legacy
Mar 17, 2012
Country
United States
And Warner Bros. misses the point of the original so hard, they should have just named it something different

I think 'The Dark One' is still available for copyright.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Oh I saw this when it was a short film with female Kenny. Seriously, that chick has died in like 5 different short films!

But I was playing Fallout 4 last night and cleared the Dunwich Borers, so you'll have to forgive me.

I'm safe in the light I'm safe in the light I'm safe in the light I'm safe in the light I'm safe in the light I'm safe in the light I'm safe in the light I'm safe in the light I'm safe in the light I'm safe in the light I'm safe in the light I'm safe in the light I'm safe in the light

Spider RedNight

There are holes in my brain
Oct 8, 2011
THIS really lightened up my day (hah light puns); ever since seeing the short film an hearing that James Wan wanted to make an actual movie out of it, I was so excited. I love James Wan and he has good taste but I'm also glad that they're keeping the director of the short film.

I'm not sure how I feel about the "Ring mixed with Darkness Falls" thing - I admit, Darkness Falls is a guilty pleasure to me but it had a lot of flaws and the Ring... wasn't scary.

WELL, at least it seems original enough - it could've been a rehash of a popular horror movie and it's not so I'm still pretty excited.

SecondPrize

Mar 12, 2012
Nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope. I made it 24 seconds in. Think of me what you will, that's as far as I'm going.

Dead Metal

Feb 7, 2010
The short wasn't scary and kinda hilarious once the creature was revealed. I hope this stays true to the original and features a hilarious looking creature.

The Real Sandman

Oct 12, 2009
Oh NOOoo... Its super quiet and dark, I shur hope somethin' loud and sca-wee doesn't happen. AaaaHH...

Are there any good (read:actually scary/entertaining) horror movies anymore? From Hollywood to the indie scene, recent horror flicks seem to be ironic and creatively bankrupt slashers, or CGI laden sequences of jump scares.

Is there anything out there today that is actually worth a damn?

The Babadook was alright, and I've yet to see It Follows, but if you have any suggestions, please tell.