Nvidia May Be Revealing the GTX 1080 Next Week

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
Nvidia May Be Revealing the GTX 1080 Next Week

The Nvidia GPU Technology Conference is next week (April 4), and according to a shipping manifest, it looks like the company will be showing off their newest flagship video card.

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1306/1306433.jpg

According to a report on Videocardz.com [http://wccftech.com/nvidia-flagship-gtx-1080-gtc-2016/ target=] claims to have photos of the cooling shrouds for the new cards (photo shown above).

While there's no way to know if these photos are legit, the GTX 1080 and GTX 1070 branding would be consistent with the progression Nvidia has used in the past. We'll have to wait until next week to see if they're accurate, but I wouldn't be surprised at all if the new Kepler-driven GPUs turn out to look just like this.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Well it's two year since the 9XX series cards came out, so there had better be some new GPUs coming around the corner to make wallets bleed.

This round might be enough of a performance jump over my 7970 to make buy one, we'll see what the 1060/1070 are like.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Charcharo said:
If you upgrade so rarely, better of going AMD. Their cards last much longer.
I upgrade more when the performance jump justifies it than on a specific timescale. The 7970 was such a massive jump over the GTX570 it couldn't be ignored, but the ASUS triple slot 7970 runs so cool and can sustain such a big overclock that the 7XX/9XX and R9 whatever cards haven't really been that attractive.

If the 10XX cards have the same kind of performance as the 9XX cards for even less power I'll probably get one. The 7970's one weakness is that it needs a lot of juice, although still less than the 570 it replaced.

kajinking

Aug 12, 2009
kiri3tsubasa said:
Meanwhile I just got an EVGA 970 GTX super clocked.
Same, I'm hoping with how the consoles are tech-wise that it'll be another 4 years before I really need to upgrade again. A good portion of games get made with them in mind so I don't think we'll see anything that can make a good card cry for a while.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
kajinking said:
Same, I'm hoping with how the consoles are tech-wise that it'll be another 4 years before I really need to upgrade again. A good portion of games get made with them in mind so I don't think we'll see anything that can make a good card cry for a while.
You'd think that wouldn't you? I hope you're right and that you'll be able to enjoy your purchase for years to come, but that's not how Nvidia likes to do things. As soon as they release new cards they tend to gradually over the next couple of months after release use drivers to gimp their old cards. I thought it was hilarious how GTX 960 was suddenly beating GTX 780 in almost all the benchmarks. Don't be surprised if their next mid-range card starts beating your high-end card.

They control over 80% of discreet GPU market so they can afford to take such risks with their own reputation. People don't seem to care anyway. Bottom line is you can't trust Nvidia. They're cunts of the worst order. I can't even count their lies anymore.

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
Adam Jensen said:
You'd think that wouldn't you? I hope you're right and that you'll be able to enjoy your purchase for years to come, but that's not how Nvidia likes to do things. As soon as they release new cards they tend to gradually over the next couple of months after release use drivers to gimp their old cards. I thought it was hilarious how GTX 960 was suddenly beating GTX 780 in almost all the benchmarks. Don't be surprised if their next mid-range card starts beating your high-end card.

I would throw in an another meme but I don't think the mods won't appreciate it.

Given how delicate coding drivers can be, it really hard to support that argument especially for how many and for how long they support the cards for. It was only 2-3 years ago they dropped support for Tesla.

Even then, why wouldn't they give the majority of the support to newer cards? They add new features like Dynamic Super Resolution which was originally meant for the 970/980 but then got released for the other maxwell cards. It's 2016 and I'm still getting performance increases and bux fixes for the shoddy 750Ti.

Sorry mate, your argument is nothing but slander.

Sep 14, 2009
Mahorfeus said:
1080? Is that going to be the price point too? :p
you jest, but for some manufacturers I really don't doubt it.

OT: cool, hopefully this brings more competition and better drivers/games for all.

Jadak

Nov 4, 2008
kiri3tsubasa said:
Meanwhile I just got an EVGA 970 GTX super clocked.
I was about to make that exact decision (upgrading from my 760) but now I'm considering holding off.

On the one hand, after doing a bit of digging it looks like GPUs don't typically get much cheaper during their useful lifespan, so my hopes to wait for say, a 1070 to release and the 970 to become much cheaper aren't all that likely.

On the other hand, by that same pattern, the 1070 may end up not being all that much more expensive than the 970 is now, so it makes very little sense to not buy that one instead.

But lastly, we probably won't see that particular card on the market before September either way, and I don't particularly want to wait that long.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
So they are going through with the 10XX scheme of naming things? i wonder how quick are they going to look on their old card names given that they used this scheme before adopting the ?XX scheme. Though it does really start with 40XX so they still got a few years to go.

Adam Jensen said:
As soon as they release new cards they tend to gradually over the next couple of months after release use drivers to gimp their old cards. I thought it was hilarious how GTX 960 was suddenly beating GTX 780 in almost all the benchmarks. Don't be surprised if their next mid-range card starts beating your high-end card.
This has NEVER happened. And the reason 960 was beating 780 was because the benchmarks utilized features present in 9XX line that were not present in 7XX line of cards. You are basically complaining that they made a better card.

Monk5127

All Hail Space Duck
Sep 6, 2014
Meh, it's WCCFTech so assume click-bait until proven otherwise.

Adam Jensen said:

They control over 80% of discreet GPU market so they can afford to take such risks with their own reputation. People don't seem to care anyway. Bottom line is you can't trust Nvidia. They're cunts of the worst order. I can't even count their lies anymore.
Also this! The moment Nvidia announces Pascal the 9xx series goes onto death watch. With the GTX970 3.5+ 0.5GB edition going to the top of that list.

Also to the OP, Nvidia's Kepler architecture was for the 6xx/7xx series, Maxwell 9xx and Pascal covers the 10xx. (Making your final sentence inaccurate)

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Strazdas said:
So they are going through with the 10XX scheme of naming things? i wonder how quick are they going to look on their old card names given that they used this scheme before adopting the ?XX scheme. Though it does really start with 40XX so they still got a few years to go.

Adam Jensen said:
As soon as they release new cards they tend to gradually over the next couple of months after release use drivers to gimp their old cards. I thought it was hilarious how GTX 960 was suddenly beating GTX 780 in almost all the benchmarks. Don't be surprised if their next mid-range card starts beating your high-end card.
This has NEVER happened. And the reason 960 was beating 780 was because the benchmarks utilized features present in 9XX line that were not present in 7XX line of cards. You are basically complaining that they made a better card.
Pardon me. Not 780 but 780Ti. So it's even worse. Keep living in your fantasy land where a $200 mid range card is beating a year older $600-$800 card because the new one has super magical new features.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Adam Jensen said:
Pardon me. Not 780 but 780Ti. So it's even worse. Keep living in your fantasy land where a $200 mid range card is beating a year older $600-$800 card because the new one has super magical new features.
Nothing magical about it, they changed the architecture, added a lot of features and released a new series with that. Said features help perform in tasks that utilize them, for example the 9XX cards are multiple times better at tesselation thus exessive tesselation will not slow them down, but it slows down 7XX cards. GPU performance is far more than double-precision FLOPS.