Kickstarter Campaign for Fear Effect Sedna Goes Live

Lizzy Finnegan

Mar 11, 2015
Kickstarter Campaign for Fear Effect Sedna Goes Live

"If we didn't believe in the game, we wouldn't have agreed to license the IP to Sushee."

Indie developer Sushee Collective program [https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/sushee/fear-effect-sedna]. The game will be developed for PC and Mac, with PlayStation 4 and Xbox One releases added at $250,000.

"We first announced our intention to open up dormant Western IP right at the start of Collective's life [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/128538-Square-Enix-Launches-Crowdfunding-Program-for-Indie-Devs] back in 2013," explained Phil Elliott, creator and project lead for the platform, in a press release "We felt that last year was the right time to go ahead with that, and Sushee - although busy with the development of Goetia at the time - was quick to register a keen interest in the idea."

Elliott stated that Sushee "put together a great pitch that combined a real love of the original games with a new take and appropriate budget."

The press release states that the asking amount will not be enough to create the game, but that Sushee will be offsetting that by investing its own funds into the project. If successfully funded, Fear Effect Sedna will be published by Square Enix Collective. If the campaign doesn't reach its goal, development will not go forward.

"If we didn't believe in the game, we wouldn't have agreed to license the IP to Sushee," Square Enix explains in the press release. "The aim of this process is to open up dormant IP to act as a stepping stone for developers; not because we don't want to commit our own funds. But - if the developer is raising funds for production, they will get more benefit. On the other hand, if Square Enix funded the game, then the developer benefits much less...which misses the point of the initiative."

As of the time of this writing, Fear Effect Sedna, which is expected to release in Q2 of 2017, has raised more than $37,000.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
Except it looks like Square Enix has most likely gotten their hands all over it. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/139857-Square-Enix-Opening-Eidos-IPs-to-Indie-Game-Pitches]

And everything SE touches these days has been garbage. Just garbage.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Squeenix!...you tight arseholes. $114,106 is pocket change for you, this feels a little more than disingenuous to claim to publicly support the game. Personally not a game targeted for my audience type though, as i remember the original was something about lesbian schoolgirls, oh and some game related action, both things my 10 year old brain thought was pretty cool and unique at the time. But that child mind was stupid and deserved its' punishing childhood.

Frankster

Space Ace
Mar 13, 2009
I'm gonna ignore the SE stuff and just focus on it being a new Fear Effect game, I really loved the games back in the day since they were like cooler versions of Resident Evil to me and due to the graphics has aged better then most.

Tbh what worries me is this doesn't really sound like a Fear Effect game though besides having the old gang back together again.

The old games were a third action/atealth, a third puzzles and a third pure horror. About the only element this game seems to have at first glance is action, but its going to be over the head with you controlling more then 1 character, quite the departure.

For horror..Here is where it gets tricky. The original games were super racy and horrific, you had t n a and mortal kombat style violence all over the place. I can't help but feel in our day and age this might raise some ruckus yet toning back the sex and violence would be an insult to the past games.
It's a very specific kind of product, not for everyone I admit, which is why I'm surprised there is interest in reviving the franchise and can't help but be worried it's going to end up being super sanitized.
If there isn't a way to horrifically kill the main characters then this can't be a true Fear Effect game.

I distinctly remember the original devs summing up Fear Effect as "very bad things happening to bad people who will probably end up dead by the end of the story". And indeed it wasn't easy to get all the main cast to survive the 1st game (the 2nd is a different matter because it was a prequel).

Xsjadoblayde said:
as i remember the original was something about lesbian schoolgirls
That's actually the second game. And might have been the third.
The first game though was about a trio of mercs finding themselves way over their heads with mythological stuff in a cyberpunk setting. The sequels focused on Hana and her partner Rain though, the aforementioned lesbians, though Hana always struck me as swinging both ways.

go-10

Feb 3, 2010
Arnoxthe1 said:
Except it looks like Square Enix has most likely gotten their hands all over it. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/139857-Square-Enix-Opening-Eidos-IPs-to-Indie-Game-Pitches]

Tomb Raider, Deus Ex, and Hitman would like to have a word with you

Xsjadoblayde said:
Squeenix!...you tight arseholes. $114,106 is pocket change for you, this feels a little more than disingenuous to claim to publicly support the game. Personally not a game targeted for my audience type though, as i remember the original was something about lesbian schoolgirls, oh and some game related action, both things my 10 year old brain thought was pretty cool and unique at the time. But that child mind was stupid and deserved its' punishing childhood.
this is part of the SE collective program, where games that would never get a green light normally are put up on KS, if the public funds it SE will fund all other cost of the game it's a 30-70 IIRC
As for the game itself the first one was about mercenaries being taking advantage of by an "evil" corporation that duped them into several conspiracies. The second one was about Hana and her partner Rain that joined the team in uncovering ancient conspiracy theories about cults and shit. No lesbian schoolgirls though, Hana was 26 in the second game and yes she swings both ways.

personally I super glad this is getting another shot at being made, I loved the second game (minus the disc swapping) the only thing that sorta holds me back is the PC/MAC only thing, if this was on PS4 and VITA I'd be supporting it in an instant!

Sixcess

Feb 27, 2010
Wow. Did not see this coming.

As my avatar indicates, I love the Fear Effect games and so I'm thrilled to see this announcement.

A little disapointed by the changes? Yes, inevitably. But only a little bit disapointed. This has been a dead IP since []Inferno[/i] was cancelled, so I have to cheer for any revival of these characters, which I never thought I'd see.

I'd still exchange this game - or just about any other in my library, past, present or future - for a finished Fear Effect Inferno. In a heartbeat.

That said, this game may not be the FE 3 I dream of but it is still rocketing to number one in my most eagerly awaited list.

Kameburger

Turtle king
Apr 7, 2012
This is always a series I was aware of but never got around to playing... Maybe this is a good opportunity to pick it up again.
Hope the kickstarter works out for them.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
GZGoten said:
Some people liked Tomb Raider and others didn't at all. It was a very divisive game. Deus Ex: HR also had some serious problems and in any case, that was made a long while ago. Perhaps before Square Enix REALLY started to suck. And don't even get me started on that new episodic BS Hitman now has to go through plus the first episodic game just feeling simply unfinished. Even for a first episode. Absolution sucked ass too. And let's not forget the new Thief they made in 2014 which was beyond bad. Even their flagship series Final Fantasy has been going down in quality ever since... What, 10 maybe? And how about Final Fantasy: All the Bravest? Yeah, good stuff there.

wulf3n

Mar 12, 2012
Well... I don't know what to think.

I'm not sure about the new gameplay style, and I'm not a fan of the new character models.

Also it says it's set 4 years after the events of Fear Effect 1 but...

Shouldn't Glas be missing his arm? Deke half his head? and also be dead!

I think i'll wait to see if this succeeds on it's own, see what it's like after it's finished.

Amir Kondori

Apr 11, 2013
Wow, the developer might be independent but this is all bankrolled by SquareEnix, so now we are entering the era of AAA publishers trying to use Kickstarter.

They don't need it.

go-10

Feb 3, 2010
Arnoxthe1 said:
GZGoten said:
Some people liked Tomb Raider and others didn't at all. It was a very divisive game. Deus Ex: HR also had some serious problems and in any case, that was made a long while ago. Perhaps before Square Enix REALLY started to suck. And don't even get me started on that new episodic BS Hitman now has to go through plus the first episodic game just feeling simply unfinished. Even for a first episode. Absolution sucked ass too. And let's not forget the new Thief they made in 2014 which was beyond bad. Even their flagship series Final Fantasy has been going down in quality ever since... What, 10 maybe? And how about Final Fantasy: All the Bravest? Yeah, good stuff there.
wow then I must have shit taste in games cause Tomb Raider is my favorite game from last gen :S and Human Revolution I thought it was awesome not to mention that I've enjoyed every Hitman game to date :O as for FF series... I 've actually liked every entry after 10. So yeah I got shit tastes so I don't really mind them doing another Fear Effect :p

besides this is the only way this game is ever going to get made, sorta like what happened with Bayoneta 2 and I really enjoyed the first 2 games so I would like to have a chance to play a new entry in the series

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
GZGoten said:
Arnoxthe1 said:

Well I agree that none of those games are garbage. That word is overused as buggery these days to describe anything that isn't the best of the best and it irks me to hell. They all have some glaring issues with them, not enough to make them bad, or even mediocre games, but unlikely to be remembered for much later on down the line.

But! eh...Tomb Raider is a good game on its own merits, if a bit derivative, and I certainly had a blast while playing it, its a tight experience. Plus after having just played through Anniversary and Underworld, I was thrilled to see the work of whatever psychopath worked on the death animations, but it is a /terrible/ Tomb Raider game. I actually question as to why the new series is called Tomb Raider, when the series set in the old timeline is called Lara Croft. Other way around makes sense more sense. The Lara Croft series is decidedly based on Tomb Raiding, while Tomb Raider is focused on Lara Croft as a person.

Deus Ex is certainly not bad by any means, but it has design issues that clash horrendously with the "choose your play style" design.

Hitman I can't comment on, but I'm not too fond of the episodic structure as Square are clearly hacking it up for more money.

However, none of these games were /developed/ by Square. Square can't develop for shit these days, that's for sure.

go-10

Feb 3, 2010
elvor0 said:
GZGoten said:
Arnoxthe1 said:

Well I agree that none of those games are garbage. That word is overused as buggery these days to describe anything that isn't the best of the best and it irks me to hell. They all have some glaring issues with them, not enough to make them bad, or even mediocre games, but unlikely to be remembered for much later on down the line.

But! eh...Tomb Raider is a good game on its own merits, if a bit derivative, and I certainly had a blast while playing it, its a tight experience. Plus after having just played through Anniversary and Underworld, I was thrilled to see the work of whatever psychopath worked on the death animations, but it is a /terrible/ Tomb Raider game. I actually question as to why the new series is called Tomb Raider, when the series set in the old timeline is called Lara Croft. Other way around makes sense more sense. The Lara Croft series is decidedly based on Tomb Raiding, while Tomb Raider is focused on Lara Croft as a person.

Deus Ex is certainly not bad by any means, but it has design issues that clash horrendously with the "choose your play style" design.

Hitman I can't comment on, but I'm not too fond of the episodic structure as Square are clearly hacking it up for more money.

However, none of these games were /developed/ by Square. Square can't develop for shit these days, that's for sure.
I think Fear Effect is being develop by another team, not SE. These days SE mostly works as a publisher, even the FF VII remake that should be one of their biggest projects is being handled by a third party studio... anyways let's not derail the conversation any further regardless of what we think of SE or business practice in the industry that's not to be discussed in this thread

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
GZGoten said:
elvor0 said:
GZGoten said:
Arnoxthe1 said:

I think Fear Effect is being develop by another team, not SE. These days SE mostly works as a publisher, even the FF VII remake that should be one of their biggest projects is being handled by a third party studio... anyways let's not derail the conversation any further regardless of what we think of SE or business practice in the industry that's not to be discussed in this thread
Yeah you're right, best not derail the thread >< just quickly though, where did you hear about FF7 being developed third party? Nomura is in charge of it, unless that changed.

go-10

Feb 3, 2010
elvor0 said:
Yeah you're right, best not derail the thread >< just quickly though, where did you hear about FF7 being developed third party? Nomura is in charge of it, unless that changed.
don't exactly remember where or when but I'm pretty sure CyberConnect2 is handling most of the development while SE handles the other part (copyrights and licenses) so that they can claim "co-development"

Sixcess

Feb 27, 2010
wulf3n said:
If you play the game on hard you can take a third option in the final stand off, leading to a good ending that ends with everyone alive.

wulf3n

Mar 12, 2012
Sixcess said:
wulf3n said:
If you play the game on hard you can take a third option in the final stand off, leading to a good ending that ends with everyone alive.
I didn't know that, looks like I'm going to have to play it again.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
GZGoten said:
wow then I must have shit taste in games cause Tomb Raider is my favorite game from last gen :S and Human Revolution I thought it was awesome not to mention that I've enjoyed every Hitman game to date :O as for FF series... I 've actually liked every entry after 10. So yeah I got shit tastes so I don't really mind them doing another Fear Effect :p

besides this is the only way this game is ever going to get made, sorta like what happened with Bayoneta 2 and I really enjoyed the first 2 games so I would like to have a chance to play a new entry in the series
*shrugs* You wanted to talk about how SE was being terrible, I told you. It's not quite at EA bad yet but they're getting closer every day. Microsoft's heading in the same direction that seemed to start with Halo 5.

Frankster

Space Ace
Mar 13, 2009
Sixcess said:
There's an ending where everyone lives o0 Damn, I always figured this was why Fear Effect 2 and 3 before it was cancelled were prequels, because it was the only way to keep everyone alive.

...In my defense in those days it wasn't quite as easy to get spoilers on the internet.

As an aside, your avatar always stood out for me (no one seems to really talk about Fear Effect anymore, just seemed like an obscure game that time kinda forgot) so I'm glad to see you might end up getting a resolution/continuation to your fav franchise.
Ain't the FE 3 I was wishing for but beggars can't be choosers. Assuming the kickstarter is successful anyways.