New DOOM Trailer Shows Off Customization Options, Carlton Dance

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
New DOOM Trailer Shows Off Customization Options, Carlton Dance

You can customize your weapons, armor, and abilities in the new DOOM, and you can even do the Carlton.

A new trailer for DOOM is showing off the range of customization options you can expect to see when the game launches on May 13. Among them are patterns and colors to personalize your weaponry and armor, and different armor styles as well.

You can also unlock hack modules that let you use special abilities during the game, including things like seeing respawn timers for pickups.

Finally, the trailer showcases a few of the in-game taunts. Yes, that is the Carlton you see there, although that version doesn't end so well.

In case you didn't know, the open beta for DOOM kicked off today [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/167107-DOOM-Open-Beta-Starts-April-15-Season-Pass-Announced], so get out there and play it!

[gallery=6150]

Chefsbrian

Jun 25, 2012
Is it just me, or is the link to the video dead? Even trying to pull the link from source doesn't work.

XenoScifi

Dec 30, 2013
Chefsbrian said:
Is it just me, or is the link to the video dead? Even trying to pull the link from source doesn't work.
Same. Cool demo of the customization! Makes me pumped for this title now /sarcasm.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
[Here's a new link

Ok so it's following the customization trends for fps? Sure it's ok but it doesn't make me want to get it.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Scarim Coral said:
I closed that video when it said "Unlock weapons."

No, fuck off id Software, you're better than that. Unlockable cosmetics and all that jazz is all fine with me. But if I can't run around a level and learn all the weapon spawning spots in a shooter like this and on top of that even have to unlock new weapons I am out.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
&#9835 It's not unusual to be loved by anyone
&#9835 It's not unusual to have fun with anyone
&#9835 but when I see you hanging about with anyone
&#9835 It's not unusual to see me cry,
&#9835 oh I wanna' die

Demon: GRANTED!
*gets decapitated*

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
So, assuming all this gear was available to the marines stationed on Mars...how were the demons able to overcome them in the first place? 0_0

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
Chaos Marine said:
I wonder how Bethesda are going to react to the hugely negative response from Doom 4: Halo.
i was asking my self that too.
the beta really leaves a bad taste in your mouth. after an hour i stopped playing. so tedious, these 2 maps looks the same with a brown filter over it that it makes the MP redundant. who cares about the MP. i want the campaign. im sure not getting the game now. if the MP is apparently more important to them, then the campaign could be some half assed disaster that has no innovation and maybe even completed under 4 hours.

Extra-Ordinary

Elite Member
Mar 17, 2010
CaitSeith said:
&#9835 It's not unusual to be loved by anyone
&#9835 It's not unusual to have fun with anyone
&#9835 but when I see you hanging about with anyone
&#9835 It's not unusual to see me cry,
&#9835 oh I wanna' die

Demon: GRANTED!
*gets decapitated*
No kidding.
Note: Baron Of Hell does NOT like the Carlton, boogie at your peril.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
DAMN IT

Stop with the multiplayer progression. Just STOP. Please!

Andrew Friedland said:
When players are picking from a pool of options, they are much happier with the decisions they make when provided all of the options simultaneously instead of sequentially.

TelosSupreme

Dec 8, 2015
Arnoxthe1 said:
DAMN IT

Stop with the multiplayer progression. Just STOP. Please!

Andrew Friedland said:
When players are picking from a pool of options, they are much happier with the decisions they make when provided all of the options simultaneously instead of sequentially.
How ironic, especially since the game's MP was outsourced to a studio that worked on Halo 4's multiplayer.

As for the beta thus far, I'm actually quite enjoying it. I didn't expect it to be the perfect Doom multiplayer experience everybody's been waiting for. That's what source ports like Skulltag are for. All I'm expecting is an all-around fun game and so far I've had fun. I do hope that a "classic mode" will be included where all the weapons have to be picked up in the map like everybody wants. If that's not in it, it's all a no-go for me. Makes me really wonder who Id and Bethesda think their core market is.

Li Mu

Oct 17, 2011
Do people actually like games anymore? Every thread I go on is just a never ending morass of hatred and complaining towards every game ever made.

Anyway, this is kind of a stupid question given the fact that I'm talking about Doom, but is there any plot? Doom 3 had a fairly nice story. It was simple, but set up the game and events. Is there anything for this one?

The Enquirer

Apr 10, 2013
If it hadn't been for the thing saying "Doom" I would have sworn this was something about Halo. If Battlefront has taught me anything it's that games with wildly different weapons there should not be an unlock system for them. TF2 is about as far as I'd consider any form of unlock system going without really starting to push the envelop.

karloss01

Jul 5, 2009
Chaos Marine said:
I wonder how Bethesda are going to react to the hugely negative response from Doom 4: Halo.
Hugely negative? From what I've seen it's been mostly positive. It's also the first time I seen being labeled Doom 4: Halo.

Sep 24, 2008
karloss01 said:
Chaos Marine said:
Hugely negative? From what I've seen it's been mostly positive. It's also the first time I seen being labeled Doom 4: Halo.
First off to the both of you, For the Emperor.

Secondly, I was looking at the character customization and I was awaiting the Hayabusa Armor.

I am one of those who really don't care about how different something looks, but how differently it affects my performance. I would love customizations to actually have a baring on how my character played. Shoulder pads that absorb recoil for specifically shotguns since I might love shotgun play. Chest Armor designed to interface and act up as a back up energy source for a Plasma Rifle, but the battery leaves me highly exposed to shots to the back. Hell, Armor that gives quick melee death animations, or at least more varied.

I've really never been a fan of skins.

Chaos Marine

Feb 6, 2008
karloss01 said:
Chaos Marine said:
Please check out the Steam reviews for the multiplayer beta.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/350470

And I was jokingly referring to it as Doom 4: Halo because it plays like a Halo game. Slow, bland and unimaginative. Though to be entirely fair, it'd be a more accurate comparison if it had an epic score and beyond the decent menu music, there was no music outside the menu.

[Edit] And as for positive reviews, console gamer's opinions don't count. Console shooters tend to be the lowest common denominator and I don't really care what they think.

F-I-D-O

I miss my avatar
Feb 18, 2010
Chaos Marine said:
karloss01 said:
Chaos Marine said:
Please check out the Steam reviews for the multiplayer beta.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/350470

And I was jokingly referring to it as Doom 4: Halo because it plays like a Halo game. Slow, bland and unimaginative. Though to be entirely fair, it'd be a more accurate comparison if it had an epic score and beyond the decent menu music, there was no music outside the menu.

[Edit] And as for positive reviews, console gamer's opinions don't count. Console shooters tend to be the lowest common denominator and I don't really care what they think.
Firstly, saying the console crowd doesn't count isn't just silly, it's flat out wrong. There's a reason publishers cater more to them - they're the lowest common denominator. It doesn't matter if you care what they think, as that demographic will get more copies.
There's a reason Evolve has more players in last 2 weeks/concurrent yesterday than Reflex and Toxikk combined. Same with how it's difficult to find a large variety of servers for UT2016, as much as I love it. You might enjoy those more in-depth movement shooters with massive skill ceilings (I know I do), but the truth is people aren't playing them.

Toxikk steam spy[link]http://steamspy.com/app/324810[/link]
Reflex steam spy[link]http://steamspy.com/app/328070[/link]
Evolve steam spy[link]https://steamspy.com/app/273350[/link]

Secondly, that claim makes me think you haven't played a recent Halo game, and people comparing new Doom to CoD also haven't played a CoD game.
Halo 5 actually has a pretty involved movement system and ability capability to allow tons of mobility on the map. Similarly, BlOps3's wall running and boosting actually grant it a similarly mobile structure, however hampered by an incredibly low time to kill.
Yeah, the Doom beta has problems - visually underwhelming weapons, an armor-focused meta which makes guns less satisfying, and a limited movement system.
The loadout system is a toss up per person, but my argument is this allows them to construct maps around objectives, not weapon drops. By having the only non-health pickups be power-ups, power weapons, and demon runes, the game focuses much more intensely on map and objective control, not kills. Granted, this gives it more of a Halo 1 quality (which was lifted from original Doom) with the focus on map management, but that's not a bad thing.

I don't see much changing, and I don't want it too in the MP space. DooM never had a great MP, instead focusing on single player and supporting mods. The quick pace of Quake was always distinct, and I feel too many people are comparing apples to oranges. While I wish everyone moved at Haste speed in Doom 4, the original was always more deliberate in its motion. Also, while the steam reviews are currently poor, they've risen each day since everyone blasted it with downvotes before the beta went live. Plus, Bethesda doesn't have to worry too much. The reviews will go away as the AppID likely gets changed for the full release, and console players aren't checking steam reviews. Worst case, they don't have to even care about the PC until a steam sale where people will buy it on name alone to inflate the player base.