Matt Damon is Back in New Jason Bourne Trailer

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
Matt Damon is Back in New Jason Bourne Trailer

The first trailer for Jason Bourne shows off Matt Damon returning to the role he made famous.

Matt Damon is back as Jason Bourne. After three successful films as Robert Ludlum's amnesiac super-spy, Damon stepped away, as did director Paul Greengrass. After an ill-fated 2012 reboot (The Bourne Legacy) starring Jeremy Renner flopped, the series went dormant. Until now.

For the new film, Damon and Greengrass have returned. Bourne's been under the radar for about a decade, but Greengrass says he's been keeping himself in shape. "He's been in the shadows of Europe. He's been active and he's been doing hard physical work. Definitely not sunning himself on the beach," the director told EW [http://www.ew.com/article/2016/04/01/jason-bourne-where-has-bourne-been]

Hopefully, the new film will recapture the magic of the first Bourne movie. Do you think it will? Tell us in the forums!

Jburton9

Aug 21, 2012
Yay! Definitely looking forward to this, I hope the film does well : ) I like Matt Damon and I also like the Jason Bourne concept, this is one of the few movies I would go to the theater to see.

2HF

May 24, 2011
I seem to be one of the few people who liked the original better than the sequels. In the original you could actually see what was happening. I love an expertly crafted fight scene, and I love being able to actually see it. You could have the best fight scene in movie history and it won't matter if you show it to me from the perspective of someone's armpit. Give it to me from about 5 feet away and I'll pay the price of admission just for the fights alone.

If they go back to that style then I'm on board. Otherwise I'll pass.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Best action movies of last decade probably. I'm glad we're getting another. I wasn't a big fan of Ultimatum but it was still a great movie. My favorite is Supremacy.

Darth Rosenberg

Oct 25, 2011
Adam Jensen said:
I wasn't a big fan of Ultimatum but it was still a great movie. My favorite is Supremacy.
All three were well made, but I think Ultimatum was mostly just spinning its wheels - I never really cared about his goal in that, either, and the plot reveal felt decidedly meh. Supremacy's my favourite as well, though the original's admirably low-key and bare bones, and Franka Portente was great.

I'm not sure we really needed another Bourne, though. They were of their time, they've been hugely influential, but can Damon and Greengrass find a way to make the new'un relevant again? I don't see how.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
I'm looking forward to this. The Bourne movies were some of the best... I don't know what kind of movie.. spy thriller type movie...

It's almost silly seeing the originals where Matt Damon was so much younger than he is now.

Oct 22, 2011
Bleh. Ultimatum had a good closure. I liked Damon as Bourne, but i don't like movies based around old protag coming back for their last(ya, sure) job.

47_Ronin

Jul 30, 2012
At this point Jason Bourne is mimicking me when I leave for shopping, just to come back because I forgot my phone, then leave again, come back up again because I forgot my bag, leave again, come back because...

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
So, er, the series has been "re-bourne" then?

Snark aside, few points:

-The Bourne Legacy wasn't a reboot, it was set in the same continuity.

-On that note, I didn't see a reason for the films to go on past part 3, since Bourne had lifted the lid on Blackbriar (which Legacy more or less made redundant, so bleh). That said, I'd prefer a fifth film to be a continuation rather than a reboot if it has to exist, so kudos there.

-Holy shit Matt Damon is buff. Considering the last role I saw him in was The Martian...yeah.

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
Darth Rosenberg said:
Adam Jensen said:
I wasn't a big fan of Ultimatum but it was still a great movie. My favorite is Supremacy.
All three were well made, but I think Ultimatum was mostly just spinning its wheels - I never really cared about his goal in that, either, and the plot reveal felt decidedly meh. Supremacy's my favourite as well, though the original's admirably low-key and bare bones, and Franka Portente was great.

I'm not sure we really needed another Bourne, though. They were of their time, they've been hugely influential, but can Damon and Greengrass find a way to make the new'un relevant again? I don't see how.
Honestly, the movies missed out on the chance to keep the plot from the books, which is much more compelling, in my opinion.

It was jarring for me to see his wife die in the beginning of Supremacy, since she was such a central character to the plot of the books. After that, the movies lost a little of the impact the novels had.

That said, they still captured the character of Bourne fairly well.

Darth Rosenberg

Oct 25, 2011
ffronw said:
Honestly, the movies missed out on the chance to keep the plot from the books, which is much more compelling, in my opinion.

It was jarring for me to see his wife die in the beginning of Supremacy, since she was such a central character to the plot of the books. After that, the movies lost a little of the impact the novels had.

That said, they still captured the character of Bourne fairly well.
I remember flicking through someone's copy of one of them, and the two continuities seemed almost unrecognisable.

As for that difference in Supremacy: I feel it was a crass, tropey move, but in a weird way I also think it's one of the best and most shocking screen deaths I've seen. The last line and the look they exchange is just about perfect. It'd have been interesting had they kept her the character around, but I feel Supremacy had an incredible focus and intensity, and whilst fridging can be an incredibly lazy piece of writing, in this film I bought the idea and it felt like it was a believable consequence of being part of Bourne's world.

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
Darth Rosenberg said:
I remember flicking through someone's copy of one of them, and the two continuities seemed almost unrecognisable.

As for that difference in Supremacy: I feel it was a crass, tropey move, but in a weird way I also think it's one of the best and most shocking screen deaths I've seen. The last line and the look they exchange is just about perfect. It'd have been interesting had they kept her the character around, but I feel Supremacy had an incredible focus and intensity, and whilst fridging can be an incredibly lazy piece of writing, in this film I bought the idea and it felt like it was a believable consequence of being part of Bourne's world.
To be fair, it did work well, and if I had not read the books, it would have probably been great. That said, the books are full of loss for Bourne, and the consequences of being in his world are all too clear. It's one of the reasons I love them so much.

Robert Ludlum was quite good at his craft.