8 Mods We Want in Fallout 4

n0e

Eternally Lurking
Feb 28, 2014
8 Mods We Want in Fallout 4

With the Fallout 4 Creation Kit almost out, there are a few mods we'd like to see from Fallout: New Vegas make it to Fallout 4.

Read Full Article

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
I'd recommend Simple Street Lights [http://modsreloaded.com/simple-street-lights] as an alternative to Electro-City. Does the same thing without so much feature creep.

JohnnyDelRay

Jul 29, 2010
I'm all for the additional created content and the UI tweaks especially (fully-transcribed dialogue options was the first thing I did), but in the name of all that is holy, PLEASE make weapon holstering a standard thing. It's so silly in 3rd person when you want to walk a long distance, 'holster' your weapon only to have it vanish from existence. I mean, in game terms, it's still 'equipped', what's so damn hard about having it move to your back, or thigh/waist? In New Vegas there was even an actual holsters mod, so that your gun wouldn't just be hanging suspended on your leg, but actually in a pretty cool-looking home-made leather number.

There is a F4 holsterable weapons mod out now but it's so damn tedious to use, not to mention that it won't work with other additional weapons unless they've been created as an apparel item, or if you decide to mod your weapon slightly (add a stock, longer/shorter barrel, suppressor, etc).

Edit: Forgot to mention (complain!) that in NV this was a standard feature! The holster itself was the mod...

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
I like New Vegas' Project Nevada because it has cybernetic enhancements. Some of them were really well done too.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
Project Nevada is basically the SkyRe of New Vegas, right? If that's the case, I'll absolutely be getting something similar. I feel that Fallout 4's skill/perk system doesn't encourage multiple characters enough. I never bothered with these huge overhaul mods in Skyrim because I preferred to pick and choose things that addressed specific issues. However, for this game, I think a massive overhaul of skills and leveling is going to be pretty much mandatory for me.

moosemaimer

Apr 14, 2011
I want to see somebody build a mod that lets me pull up two weapons in the crafting interface and swap parts between them. I shouldn't have to build a bunch of parts just to pull the ones I want off a gun, so I can put them on another and have bits and pieces left over.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
RedDeadFred said:
I think and massive overhaul of skills and leveling is going to be pretty much mandatory for me.
Close combat is very poorly done in Fallout 4, so once you ignore the associated perks, the number of possible builds drops drastically. Maybe if you could VATS-target individual limbs in melee, or there were some sort of combo system (with finishing moves)... hmm. If someone made (either of) those mods, then I'd build a melee character.

There's a New Vegas mod called 'Perks for Challenges' that granted perks based on certain actions you performed in game. It wasn't as balanced as people would have liked, but it was an interesting overhaul of the perk system.

Chaosian

Mar 26, 2011
Personally, I'm most excited for Fallout FROST - the Fallout 4 version of DUST. Gameplay overhaul that makes everything super hostile and super deadly. The Fallout 4 Survival mode is nice, but it really doesn't have that "gestalt" of desperation Fallout DUST had.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
008Zulu said:
RedDeadFred said:
I think and massive overhaul of skills and leveling is going to be pretty much mandatory for me.
Close combat is very poorly done in Fallout 4, so once you ignore the associated perks, the number of possible builds drops drastically. Maybe if you could VATS-target individual limbs in melee, or there were some sort of combo system (with finishing moves)... hmm. If someone made (either of) those mods, then I'd build a melee character.

There's a New Vegas mod called 'Perks for Challenges' that granted perks based on certain actions you performed in game. It wasn't as balanced as people would have liked, but it was an interesting overhaul of the perk system.
Don't you hate it when you notice an obvious grammatical error in your post only after someone has quoted you?

I like the idea of perks for challenges, however I'm thinking of something more widespread. An overhaul of the entire perk tree along with potentially bringing back individual skills is what I had in mind. I'd like the perk chart to be a lot bigger and have branching paths so that it allows for more specialized gameplay. A combat overhaul mod would also be nice because I find that the game is way too easy at higher levels. Starting off in hardcore mode can be a challenge, but with the gunplay being significantly better than in previous games, I find it a lot easier to combat stronger enemies.

Naldan

You Are Interested. Certainly.
Feb 25, 2015
Oh, randomly generated loot would be nice. You know, for keeping an aspect alive for longer than 15 of the 70 hours of total gameplay. And custom unique stuff doesn't help because it's rarely balanced and also only fills one spot in the game at a certain time for a certain kind of character. Just way more tiers for levels of 60+, or just randomly generated loot, not just those awkward epic drops.

Or a point to settlements other than clutter and apropriately cashed vendors.

Or a community patch simply for bugs.

Or any kind of decent interface. Lol.

Or good quests, more than 3 (I even leave out the main storyline here, that's more a matter of taste and at least had *some* effort put into it). Yeah, good quests aside from the main quests. Remember this? Not if FO4 is your first game.

And no, I don't hate FO4. I'd like to crossbreed FO4 with most of its features with NV, 1, 2 or any RPG with decent writing, and a whole lot more equipment to gather. But because of some really massively stupid design decisions I refer to above, it's one of the biggest disappointments I've ever had thanks to overhype and a letdown from a company that should have known *way* better...

kenu12345

Seeker of Ancient Knowledge
Aug 3, 2011
I would ask for a re haul of the game that brought back the old school system. I loved it so much in New Vegas

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
JohnnyDelRay said:
I'm all for the additional created content and the UI tweaks especially (fully-transcribed dialogue options was the first thing I did), but in the name of all that is holy, PLEASE make weapon holstering a standard thing. It's so silly in 3rd person when you want to walk a long distance, 'holster' your weapon only to have it vanish from existence. I mean, in game terms, it's still 'equipped', what's so damn hard about having it move to your back, or thigh/waist? In New Vegas there was even an actual holsters mod, so that your gun wouldn't just be hanging suspended on your leg, but actually in a pretty cool-looking home-made leather number.

There is a F4 holsterable weapons mod out now but it's so damn tedious to use, not to mention that it won't work with other additional weapons unless they've been created as an apparel item, or if you decide to mod your weapon slightly (add a stock, longer/shorter barrel, suppressor, etc).

Edit: Forgot to mention (complain!) that in NV this was a standard feature! The holster itself was the mod...
I'm guessing that there were a crapload of clipping issues that all the various crafting modifications for both weapons and armor caused that Bethesda decided wasn't worth the ridiculous amount of time it would take to make weapons realistically hang off of the characters in a way that accounted for each and every possible modification without clipping. Any holster mod would have to deal with the same issue.

OT: I want to see some sort of Power Armor rebalancing mod. There's already a mod that lets you use it whenever you want without having to worry about that ridiculous core draining mechanic that shouldn't have existed in the first place, but that just makes Power Armor this thing you can wear all the freaking time practically from day one that completely kills the balance of the game by making you slow, clunky, and near invincible instead of being this strong but late game armor that just barely allows you to match what you come up against at that point like it should be. I honestly wouldn't have cared at ALL that Bethesda outright destroyed Power Armor lore if it was to Power Armor's benefit but as it is it's pretty much useless, the fact that they defied the lore to do that just makes it worse.