Dark Souls: The Plot

K12

Dec 28, 2012
Dark Souls 3 made me reconsider what the "good ending" really was in the original game. Relinking the fire over and over again is just dumb. It's time for humans and darkness to have their turn.

UberPubert

Jun 18, 2012
It's just a prank, bro!

I always interpreted the linking of the flame to be the necessary sacrifice to keep the fantasy world from sliding into total chaos, with the end result being something like what happens to the Oolacile Township or New Londo, and the effects already being apparent in the bleak, hollow populated ruins of wherever the current game is taking place. It's just a shame we never get to see the worlds during that golden age the linking of the fires ushers in.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
If Dark Souls were a more modern setting then ive no doubt thats exactly what would happen.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
Yep, that's the Dark Souls ending alright! I wonder if it will have more views than "ANCIENT LORD RELIGHTING A FLAME EPIC FAIL"

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
This is one of the things I truly loved about the plot of DS1 - the whole prophecy is just misdirection by the greater powers of the world to find someone who'd prolong the Age of Fire. The "Chosen Undead" isn't predestined, he's just the first guy strong enough to make it. You aren't chosen, you aren't fulfilling some mystical prophecy, you're just falling for the line fed to you by Frampt.

The one fun part about the whole thing is that Gwyndolyn and the rest of the "Gods" get eaten by Aldrich. Serves them right, the dipshits...

BX3

Mar 7, 2011
Y'know, I have a close friend who never shuts up about Dark Souls. Despite every information dump the dude throws at me whenever he gushes about it, the plot barely if ever gets any mention from him, so I'm completely willing to believe that this is an unaltered, completely canon representation of the lore.

Maphysto

Dec 11, 2010
K12 said:
Dark Souls 3 made me reconsider what the "good ending" really was in the original game. Relinking the fire over and over again is just dumb. It's time for humans and darkness to have their turn.
If you ever thought that that linking the fire was a good idea, you got played. All those myths and legends about the "Chosen Undead" linking the fire? That was all propaganda. You were never any kind of mythic hero or Chosen One; you were just the first chump to come along with a soul strong enough to keep the flame going, provided you could be tricked into turning yourself into kindling. Why do you think

the Lords of Cinder in DS3 fled their thrones? it's because they'd already been burned once before (metaphorically and literally) and weren't willing to repeat the cycle.

See, this is why I LOVE Dark Soul's Story; it doesn't just present things at face value and expect you to believe them; it gives you the story you're MEANT to know, but shows the cracks in it as well. The same can be said of real life; history is the property of the current generation, not those who lived it, and so much of it gets glossed over or downright erased in order to press an agenda.

Dragonlayer

Aka Corporal Yakob
Dec 5, 2013
K12 said:
Is the Age of Dark all that better an alternative though? I've travelled through time itself in the latter two Souls games, and seen the darkness: it's not exactly what I'd call a cheery and prosperous replacement for the Flame. And then there's all this business about humans being inherently evil, or having a greater potential for evil, or be intrinsically linked to evil and doomed to inevitably become mindless rotting zombies....

OT

Something tells me epic Flame pranks will never be as popular as Gwynevere webcam videos.

Solkard

Sep 29, 2014
Dragonlayer said:
K12 said:
Is the Age of Dark all that better an alternative though? I've travelled through time itself in the latter two Souls games, and seen the darkness: it's not exactly what I'd call a cheery and prosperous replacement for the Flame. And then there's all this business about humans being inherently evil, or having a greater potential for evil, or be intrinsically linked to evil and doomed to inevitably become mindless rotting zombies....

OT

Something tells me epic Flame pranks will never be as popular as Gwynevere webcam videos.
But those will most likely be a Gwyndolin catfish.

Dragonlayer

Aka Corporal Yakob
Dec 5, 2013
Solkard said:
Dragonlayer said:
K12 said:

OT

But those will most likely be a Gwyndolin catfish.
I have no idea what that means.

Do I event want to know?

Karadalis

Apr 26, 2011

Yup... pretty much... best summary of the darksouls 1 story i have seen up to date.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
Why does it look like the little, spikey-headed guy is sitting in that lady's cleavage in the 3rd panel?
But it's the last panel that slays me! The flailing of his limbs is very Jim Carrey-esque.

K12

Dec 28, 2012
Dragonlayer said:
K12 said:
Possibly not but it does seem like an inevitability the avoidance of which has had pretty shit outcomes for everyone involved.

Gwyn seems to think humans are inherently evil but what if they are redeemable and relinking the fire is making that redemption harder and harder but unleashing the undead curse and the weight shit that lords of cinder in DS3 got up to.

You can keep prolonging the inevitable or walk confidentally into the future prepared to do what it takes to make it work out... you might still fail and fuck everything up but worst case scenario you end up just as fucked as you will eventually get anyway.

LostCrusader

Lurker in the shadows
Feb 3, 2011
Darth_Payn said:
Why does it look like the little, spikey-headed guy is sitting in that lady's cleavage in the 3rd panel?
But it's the last panel that slays me! The flailing of his limbs is very Jim Carrey-esque.
The short answer would be she is an illusion created by that guy to keep the player character moving on the right path. Kind of like the giant head in the Wizard of Oz but with huge cleavage.

themilo504

May 9, 2010
The weird thing about Dark souls plot is that almost your entire understanding of it relies upon you finding one character that you probably don?t even know exists unless you use a guide. It?s such a baffling move that I honestly don?t understand how anybody could think that was good idea.