8 Scary Games to Play Today

n0e

Eternally Lurking
Feb 28, 2014
8 Scary Games to Play Today

Celebrate Friday the 13th playing these scary titles.

Read Full Article

Naldan

You Are Interested. Certainly.
Feb 25, 2015
Siren was released only for PS3 and Amnesia only for PC. Even though I always imagine the PC's audience to be the biggest there is, this narrows it down for people who could play these two today.

Where is any Silent Hill up to and including 4?

Also, maybe this is because I first played it when I was 12 and am therefore biased, but I always was creeped out by Resident Evil 3 the most in comparison to its other entries. Am I alone with this?

Although I've also played Resident Evil when I was 9 or something. At the same age, I also watched (a German, therefore censored free TV version of) Nightmare on Elmstreet. A part where Freddy's tongue extended towards a woman through I think a hatch. Laughed my ass off. And Halloween. And Hellraiser. Hellraiser 1 even before, but that gave me nightmares until I hit puberty.

But the only game that really gave me nightmares (beginning at the age of around 4) was Friday, the 13th on the C64. These deaths. That screen. PTSD for life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPx2OTcatJ8

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
A lot of those are, to quote ZP, "First person shooters that ate too much marinara sauce". Big guns don't go well with spoopy spooky spooks.

OutLast was good, but got old quick. But it did have me jumping more than a few times, so A+ there.
Amnesia again was good, but had no replay value and became piss easy once you learned monsters despawn or are killable. Give it a B.
Not even gonna' touch Alien Isolation(fucking game...) F--

And I'm not one to love this game, but legit surprised Silent Hill 2 wasn't on this one. The consensus seems to be that's a tots spoopy game, like for reals. What with the fog and violins.

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
Played the Fear series and the first one and it's expansions were the only ones to get me to jump out of my chair. Fear 2 and 3 fail to realize there's more to horror than blood and darkness.

On that note I'd say Condemned Criminal Origins belongs on this list, the story is creepy, the fighting requires more skill, and the enemies don't loudly say everything they're going to do.

Kaimax

Jul 25, 2012
Scary Games list, but doesn't have Silent Hill or even Fatal Frame (At least the first Trilogy) in it... Remove everything else besides Siren, Alien Isolation and Amnesia then you'll have a good Friday the 13th

Extra-Ordinary

Elite Member
Mar 17, 2010
Oh, man, Dead Space and F.E.A.R. 2, good times.

And Alien: Isolation and Oulast making the list makes me happy, love those, think Outlast is scarier tan Alien but you know, still good.

Silentpony said:
And I'm not one to love this game, but legit surprised Silent Hill 2 wasn't on this one. The consensus seems to be that's a tots spoopy game, like for reals. What with the fog and violins.
Huh, didn't think about that.
I haven't played it either but I have also heard about it's reputation for being 2spoopy4me.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Extra-Ordinary said:
Oh I played it. I'm just one of those infuriating fucks that don't get psychological horror games. So where most gamers would say SH2 spends hours building spoopy atmosphere in an haunted and dangerous yet paradoxically abandoned town fully of spoopy things, I would say it spends hours doing fuck all but having us slog between early 2000s levels of annoying 'puzzles' to continue what tiny spec of a whisper of a hint of a breath of a gasp of a rumor of a shadow of a plot we have.

Some say having monsters that more or less ignore you makes for a spoopy game because you feel very insignificant. I say being able to go through entire levels without firing a shot or taking damage doesn't exactly make me shit myself.

But again, the consensus seems to be gamers needs decades of therapy to get over the opening cinematic, so I'm obviously missing something.

RealRT

Feb 28, 2014
FEAR 2, you serious? Wasn't scary in the least.
Wasn't that good of a shooter either.

Anti-American Eagle

HAPPENING IMMINENT
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
Canada
Why do I get a feeling the person who put metro last light on the list didn't actually play metro last light.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Was getting ready to prep my "Not a survival horror fan then?" comment, but the Outlast page onwards changed that. Though no SOMA? For shames :(

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
Does Undertale count... ? I don't think so but some of the stuff in that game truly disturbed me. And I've seen some ****.