Uncharted 4 Review - A Fitting Finale

Lizzy Finnegan

Mar 11, 2015
Uncharted 4 Review - A Fitting Finale

If Uncharted 4: A Thief's End was the only PlayStation 4 exclusive ever, I would purchase the system all over again in a heartbeat.

Read Full Article

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
The site is acting all funny today, after not working at all. I cannot access the review through any page. What goings on is this?

Edit: Oh, nevermind, of course it would work only after commenting. :)

There were moments in this game i would get flashbacks of AC:Black flag. Swinging merrily across ships and scaling walls like a cheeky little murder monkey brandishing a grenade launcher. The automatic air takedown never ceased to entertain, especially when it homes in over slightly larger gaps as if Nathe can control his descent with well timed guffs. Had some problems with Nathe not wanting to leave his comfy little wall cover during tense stealth moments, where upon i push the analogue stick harder with a tap of the roll, only to convince him to cheerily fall to his death in a sneaky ravine behind or a drop distance he would usually survive only in the player areas allowed. Indeed, they were my most frequent deaths.

The maturity does shine through here though, hence why i don't feel the desire to play through any previous installments. I got everything i wanted plus more from Uncharted 4. Now there are those who may criticise the regularity of collapsing/breaking roads or rocks or whatever else. But i tried to imagine the game without them and it felt too static and gamey. At least it gives a weight to Nathan's existence and tells you that no, not every ledge is going to be your invincible, faithful friend.

Extra-Ordinary

Elite Member
Mar 17, 2010
Wait, just a sec, the "What were you saying?" stuff was an organic thing?
I thought it was a scripted event!
Sully said "Where was I?" so convincingly, I thought it was scripted to get interrupted and pick it back up.
Also, with this new information, I just want to appreciate how cool it is that Sully says "Where was I," they could have picked up the story without him saying that, without Nate or whoever asking him and I would have thought it was neat that they would continue the story but these little details make it so natural, this game is awesome.

Xsjadoblayde said:
Had some problems with Nathe not wanting to leave his comfy little wall cover during tense stealth moments, where upon i push the analogue stick harder with a tap of the roll, only to convince him to cheerily fall to his death in a sneaky ravine behind or a drop distance he would usually survive only in the player areas allowed. Indeed, they were my most frequent deaths.
While not too frequent, I had the same problem sometimes.
One area in particular, can't say where it was or what I was doing (I have the memory of an amnesiac goldfish) but I was hangin' from my rope, shimmied all the way down, at this point, the ground it half the distance of some of the highest jumps I've survived.
I drop, *DEAD*.
A Thief's End by way of player no-go zones.

Spider RedNight

There are holes in my brain
Oct 8, 2011
I realised I made both a great and poor decision by having Uncharted 4 be the first game I played on my new (limited edition Uncharted 4) PS4; it's beautiful and flowing and I loved the characters and now playing other games is like... just a tiny step down graphics-wise. I've only hit one glitch where Nate's arms would mysteriously disappear but once I loaded it back up, it was gone and it only happened once. I'm impressed by the fact that there's only one load and the rest of the game is seamless and I like being able to replay cutscenes if there's something I feel like I just missed.

Also I love Sam. They did a beautiful job with him as the older brother who was absent from the younger brother's life and shows up, immediately asking a favour. He has flaws and they're very human flaws but they don't detract from the character, they just add complexity and Troy Baker and Nolan North work great off each other.

I beat it a few days ago but I'm definitely gonna go back through it - I missed so much!

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Wow, that's one glowing review. Good job, Liz. You're nothing like that Xbot, Sterling! 8.5, a fucking TRAVESTY!

I myself have not finished it (review classes are soooooo fun), but what I have experienced so far is amazing. My personal favorite small detail is that when you hang from pipes, and start swing about, the pipes bend with your weight! I know I shouldn't be so impressed, but I am.

Also, can't believe no one has mentioned that the game lets you save anytime. No checkpoints (I mean there are, but if you load up a manual save, you'll be right where you left off). I haven't played a non-Bethesda game with that kind of save system in long time.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
I'm trying to decide if I like Uncharted 2 or Uncharted 4 more, right now. I would say that in many ways, like story and writing, Uncharted 4 is better, but I also think 2 had some more memorable moments (like the train) and Chloe. The result is that I am struggling to decide which of these two great games (not to belittle the others) are the best in the franchise.

Uncharted 4 is definitely the best send off you could ask for in a franchise. Naughty Dog just keeps delivering top notch experiences.