Square Enix Teases "Exciting Tomb Raider News," Details E3 Plans

Lizzy Finnegan

Mar 11, 2015
Square Enix Teases "Exciting Tomb Raider News," Details E3 Plans

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/929/929682.png

Square Enix has released a blog post detailing some of its E3 2016 plans, as well as teasing upcoming Tomb Raider news.

With E3 2016 fast approaching, Square Enix has put out a blog post detailing some of its plans for the show, with more information to come in a "Part 2."

In a blog post [http://na.square-enix.com/us/blog/road-e3-2016-part-1] titled "The Road to E3, Part 1," Square Enix listed off some of the playable games that will be available on the show floor. Deus Ex: Mankind Divided, Hitman's third episode, Just Cause 3 Land Mech Assault DLC, Star Ocean: Integrity and Faithlessness, and I Am Setsuna will all be available for hands-on play. There will also be playable demos for two games from the Square Enix Collective: The Turing Test and Black the Fall.

In addition, Square Enix will once again host a live show, "Square Enix Presents," where the company will be providing "a more in-depth look into our games throughout the entirety of E3." The live show will include developer interviews and live game demos.

The post concludes by teasing information on other "exciting demos" that will be playable on the show floor, to be detailed in the "Part 2" blog. Also teased was some "exciting Tomb Raider news," as well as details on several other games that the team has been working on.

Johnlives

Dec 6, 2009
Exciting news? I guess slim odds on it being they're going to stop making Uncharted clones and go back to tombs. Suspending betting on it's going to PS4.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Oh Squeenix. You couldn't do mystery if your overly expensive graphics studio depended on it. And one teeny little other thing noticable with the Just Cause 3 DLC that stands out after purchasing the air missions...They're being seperated into Land, Sea and Air DLCs. So that's why the underwater environment is so nicely detailed. Planned out from the start, eh? Please forgive me for feeling a little reluctant towards spending more than i already have on this game. A person hears many unsavoury whispers on the wind about a publisher's business practices towards their developers. Many unsavoury things.

Darth Rosenberg

Oct 25, 2011
Johnlives said:
Exciting news? I guess slim odds on it being they're going to stop making Uncharted clones and go back to tombs. Suspending betting on it's going to PS4.
Isn't it a tad unfair to call the new TR's "clones" of Uncharted, when Uncharted itself was pretty much 'shooty TR with a dude'? Did Uncharted somehow create 3rdP action? What, specifically, did it innovate that makes the more action focused TR's so clone-like?

There are similarities, absolutely, so despite my bias towards the much older and more influential IP, I wouldn't say Uncharted didn't help re-shape what rebooted TR became. But just calling it a "clone" is surely inaccurate.

The Purple Grape

Jun 5, 2015
Is it new about the film being made because someone thought remaking I Spit On Your Grave, a second time, seemed like a good idea.

Redryhno

Jul 25, 2011
Darth Rosenberg said:
Johnlives said:
Isn't it a tad unfair to call the new TR's "clones" of Uncharted, when Uncharted itself was pretty much 'shooty TR with a dude'? Did Uncharted somehow create 3rdP action? What, specifically, did it innovate that makes the more action focused TR's so clone-like?

There are similarities, absolutely, so despite my bias towards the much older and more influential IP, I wouldn't say Uncharted didn't help re-shape what rebooted TR became. But just calling it a "clone" is surely inaccurate.
Eh, the older TR's really are more about platforming and puzzles though, you have to admit that. While Uncharted did have those, it was much more often that thing putting up a wall for progress as opposed to being a main gameplay element(shitty analogy, but I think it sorta fits). Uncharted's main gameplay element is very much instead the shooting and heavily choreographed set pieces.

So with the new TR's, they feel much more like Uncharted clones than their namesake for alot of people, myself included(though I will admit I've only seen others play the new one, and it seems like a continuation of the exact same gameplay of TR2012?2013? than anything new itself). But what do I know? I just know I don't particularly like Uncharted and TR feels like more of the same.