Xbox One Update Preps Fallout 4 for Mod Support

Lizzy Finnegan

Mar 11, 2015
Xbox One Update Preps Fallout 4 for Mod Support

Bethesda announced today that the new update for Fallout 4 on Xbox One, version 1.5.205, is now "live in preparation for mods."

Far Harbor DLC [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/167394-Fallout-4-Mods-Coming-to-Xbox-One-in-Upcoming-Closed-Beta] - which released earlier this week. It was announced that a closed beta was planned for mods on Xbox One, although no specific date was given.

In a tweet today, Bethesda announced that a new update, version 1.5.205, is now available for Fallout 4 on Xbox One - and it's preparing the game for the upcoming beta test for mod support.

[tweet t=https://twitter.com/BethesdaStudios/status/733685218146668544]

"A new Xbox update (1.5.205) for #Fallout4 is live in preparation for Mods," the tweet reads, adding that closed beta access for mods is scheduled for next week.

Mod support for PlayStation 4 users will be coming in June. Meanwhile, Bethesda recently added official support for mods on PC.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
And the new DLC doesn't work for PS4 and some PC users.

Guess we know where all the work went into...

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
RaikuFA said:

That's been going on for a while. Remember Skyrim getting DLC a month before PS3 and PC?

Just give me Unlimited Settlement Size and Unlimited Materials and I'll work wonders. Oh and maybe a mod to increase the size of settlements like Jamaica Plain or Hangman's Alley. It's a crime that those are so tiny.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
The Great JT said:
RaikuFA said:

That's been going on for a while. Remember Skyrim getting DLC a month before PS3 and PC?

Just give me Unlimited Settlement Size and Unlimited Materials and I'll work wonders. Oh and maybe a mod to increase the size of settlements like Jamaica Plain or Hangman's Alley. It's a crime that those are so tiny.
I know. And the DLC didn't really release until the GOTY edition for PS3. What I'm saying is the Far Harbor DLC doesn't work on PS4 and some PCs.

Solo-Wing

Wanna have a bad time?
Dec 15, 2010
I would just like to bring to everyones attention that over the past few weeks the comment sections on the Bethesda.net mods have been getting HEAVILY spammed by Xbox/PS4 plays begging for mods.

It is starting to get out of hand. Mod creators make mods as their hobby and having people spam them and act like impatient children has already been pissing the creators off.

Could people please stop doing this?

Apr 5, 2008
I don't get this or how it works. If I make a FO4 mod and upload it to the Nexus, how does an XBox/PS4 player use it? Does Bethesda add them to a new repository accessible from some in-game menu? What if I don't want my mod to be used by consoles? (I know that in the EULA technically Bethesda own everything that is made with their toolset so that's one possibility). What's to stop me writing a mod that causes console versions of the game to crash? What if I take advantage of the inevitable FO4 script extender?

This is a really complex issue considering that until now the only way to get content onto a modern console is from XBL/PSN or a game disc. Patches and DLCs on the console online walled-gardens cost developers a fortune, which is why they're so much rarer than on PC. But where are the mods hosted? A bethesda run steam workshop? Put a PC mod on a USB pen and move it to console that way? How will texture and model replacers work? So many questions!

sanamia

Jul 6, 2013
They have to be uploaded separately bethesda.net. You should hear what mod authors have to say about that place it ain't pretty.

Additionally anything that will use F4se (skript extender), adult content (like in nexus level 18+ content), and whatnot isn't going to go to consoles anyway as consoles won't have access to F4se and bethesda keeps it kid friendly.

So consoles will get a bit of re-textures, standard quest mods and new weapon armor stuff. Even just a simple interface overhaul can become problematic.

And never mind that it looks like the consoles won't even be able to handle proper load order sorting and over-write management. But hey that's what the messed up ingame mod installing is for... I foresee many broken save-games.

Mar 30, 2010
The Great JT said:
Yeah, I always seem to hit the settlement object cap long before I've got my settlements looking like I want them. Especially Mirelurk Island (or whatever it's actually called) to the southeast. That place is huge and I can only get maybe 20% of it looking halfway decent before I can no longer place objects. Incidentally (and tell me to bugger off if you've tried this) but I've found the best way of transforming low foot-print sites like JP and HA is to build up. My HA is a veritable shanty-town high-rise, although it can be quite tricky to get it convincingly 'anchored' to the surrounding buildings.

Apr 5, 2008
Knowing how the modding works on PC, I agree that it will likely be quite messy. Load order is an important consideration and had occurred, but for small, standalone mods should be okay. It's only when folks start installing mods with significant breadth or potential clashes that it is important.

I'm guessing that only mods that are in bsa format will work, and not loose files? It seems amazing that MS/Sony will allow players to finally manipulate files hard drives...and a little sad that it will be this pale shadow. Consoles are PCs in hardware and trying to be closer and closer to PCs all the time, but without relinquishing the strict control over the OS and its content.

I suspect a LOT of mods are going to get "stolen" from Nexus and put up for consoles.

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
Grouchy Imp said:
...Incidentally (and tell me to bugger off if you've tried this) but I've found the best way of transforming low foot-print sites like JP and HA is to build up. My HA is a veritable shanty-town high-rise, although it can be quite tricky to get it convincingly 'anchored' to the surrounding buildings.
That's what I've been doing in my most recent playthrough. I get maybe three floors out of Hangman's Alley, which is more than enough to plonk down everything.

Speaking of settlements, I thought places like West Everett Estates and Breakheart Banks would be settlements, despite how close they are to Taffington Boathouse and The Slog, respectively. Maybe that's something mods could fix?