Overwatch Review - Your Watch Has Begun

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Overwatch Review - Your Watch Has Begun

Overwatch shows us that Blizzard can just decide to take on a new genre and a new IP and still come out on top.

Read Full Article

SlumlordThanatos

Lord Inquisitor
Aug 25, 2014
The launch was suprisingly smooth, as well.

The only real issue was that I kept getting placed into matches that were stuck on"Waiting For Players", and would last until the server got tired of them. It was fun to just run around and kill people, but I don't gain experience for it.

Five stars might be streching it, though; game balance is vitally important in a game like this and Blizzard is still struggling to get it right. Still...it actually WAS worth my money, despite my misgivings.

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
I would have loved to play this game, and even now its entire presentation effects an undeniable allure. But... I'm a story hound! I need a reason for playing the game beyond 'shooty bang bang bright and fun'. And those animated shorts made the idea of a story campaign both appealing and almost palpable.
Most of my past multiplayer experiences have been shite, to say the least. Who knows, maybe I'll join the fray once the game goes down in price, but for now I can only file this beautiful-looking game under 'crippled its own potential'. :(

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Ye beware though: this game can increase salt levels like there's no tomorrow. Because good God shit can go horribly wrong. But oh my when things go right it feels amazing.

CritialGaming

Mar 25, 2015
I think these initial reviews are being lifted up by the hype train. Overwatch is really really good at what it does. But what it does, isn't much and there is a real risk of longevity issues, especially with no player progression. Overwatch offers nothing more the the players that put days into the game, versus the players who put mere hours into it.

While you can make the argument that "A game should just be fun and that should be enough", in today's market with fun games coming out weekly, many of which offer a great deal more for the same or even less asking price...I don't think "fun" is enough to keep people for as long as they would hope for.

Even a free to play game like LoL, or Heroes, offers players rewards for putting the time in. Unlocking characters, runes, even badges to show off your commitment to the game.

Overwatch does none of that. The loot crates offer nothing to a long term invested player, that a lucky new player can't also happen to have.

schtingah

Jun 1, 2011
CritialGaming said:
Even a free to play game like LoL, or Heroes, offers players rewards for putting the time in. Unlocking characters, runes, even badges to show off your commitment to the game.
While this is true, you're forgetting about Dota 2, which is still highly popular even though it also has no player progression. Generally for these kind of situations a 'ranked' mode keeps people buys and climbing the ranks as a way to keep invested in the game, so we'll have to see how well made that aspect of the game will be once it comes out.

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
CritialGaming said:

Overwatch does none of that. The loot crates offer nothing to a long term invested player, that a lucky new player can't also happen to have.
Call me crazy but i would much rather pay one flat fee and get ALL of the playable heroes/weapons/maps at once, than have to grind out currency (or worse, pay real money) in order to get additional characters.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
I feel like the review and score don't match up, especially when the negative criticisms were brought up right before giving the final score.

I don't disagree with the review (how can I, I don't and am not planning to play the game), just an observation.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
certainly enjoying it. but then i also enjoyed the beta, so obvious i would buy the game.
for me it felt like there are some minor hit detection issues which i didnt had in the beta. so got a bit frustrating when playing a sniper and nothing happens to your target. also died few times that i died before i saw the enemy.
but yes, its a fun game never the less. im sure over the weekend it will be very busy.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
I'm so bad.... but I'm having a blast. I definitely think they made the right move by charging a flat fee so that you have all heros unlocked. So far I'm absolutely loving:

Lucio -In my opinion, this guy has the coolest design. His ult seems really strong and his alt fire has already gotten me some funny fall kills.

McCree -I thought he would have been really difficult, but since you don't have to lead your shots at all, he's not too bad. Flashbang all but guarantees that you win duels against other squishies.

Winston -Gotta love leaping around as a gorilla.

Zenyatta -Very deadly for a support. Charging up a bunch of orbs and then unleashing them all into one target is quite satisfying.

D. Va -Infinite ammo is great and her speed boost is a lot of fun.

CritialGaming

Mar 25, 2015
schtingah said:
While this is true, you're forgetting about Dota 2, which is still highly popular even though it also has no player progression. Generally for these kind of situations a 'ranked' mode keeps people buys and climbing the ranks as a way to keep invested in the game, so we'll have to see how well made that aspect of the game will be once it comes out.
DOTA also has rankings, cosmetic rewards, HUGE prize tournaments, and a much higher skill ceiling than Overwatch can ever hope for.

Steven Bogos said:
Call me crazy but i would much rather pay one flat fee and get ALL of the playable heroes/weapons/maps at once, than have to grind out currency (or worse, pay real money) in order to get additional characters.
Which in Overwatch you have to grind out currency or levels in order to get loot boxes to unlock new cosmetic items. Or you can pay a bunch of money for extra boxes. Up to you I guess.

Overwatch is a game that offers less content than Star Wars Battlefront for gods sake. Think about that for a minute. A game that got riddled for a lack of game modes, maps and playable content had MORE stuff to do/unlock than Overwatch does. But okay let's give Overwatch a perfect 10? No thanks.

I'm not trying to say Overwatch isn't a good game, because it is. But it isn't a complete game. It's a glorified tech demo that you are paying 40-60 bucks for.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
RedDeadFred said:
I'm so bad.... but I'm having a blast. I definitely think they made the right move by charging a flat fee so that you have all heros unlocked. So far I'm absolutely loving:

Lucio -In my opinion, this guy has the coolest design. His ult seems really strong and his alt fire has already gotten me some funny fall kills.

McCree -I thought he would have been really difficult, but since you don't have to lead your shots at all, he's not too bad. Flashbang all but guarantees that you win duels against other squishies.

Winston -Gotta love leaping around as a gorilla.

Zenyatta -Very deadly for a support. Charging up a bunch of orbs and then unleashing them all into one target is quite satisfying.

D. Va -Infinite ammo is great and her speed boost is a lot of fun.
im not the greatest either, but i did manage to get play of the game few times with widowmaker. once i expected i get it with d.va as well because i managed a 40 kill streak but nope, nothing. but at least i got the highest vote.
besides this little personal nitpick, im having a good time as well.

The Enquirer

Apr 10, 2013
CritialGaming said:
schtingah said:
DOTA also has rankings, cosmetic rewards, HUGE prize tournaments, and a much higher skill ceiling than Overwatch can ever hope for.

Steven Bogos said:
Which in Overwatch you have to grind out currency or levels in order to get loot boxes to unlock new cosmetic items. Or you can pay a bunch of money for extra boxes. Up to you I guess.

Overwatch is a game that offers less content than Star Wars Battlefront for gods sake. Think about that for a minute. A game that got riddled for a lack of game modes, maps and playable content had MORE stuff to do/unlock than Overwatch does. But okay let's give Overwatch a perfect 10? No thanks.

I'm not trying to say Overwatch isn't a good game, because it is. But it isn't a complete game. It's a glorified tech demo that you are paying 40-60 bucks for.
Except they didn't charge over a hundred fucking dollars for what was essentially 4 maps. They charged 40 for over 20 unique characters, quite a few maps, with more to come for free.

It's sort of limited now but they didn't fuck people over in regards to content and how it will be released.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
CritialGaming said:

I think this really depends on whether or not you're willing to get your value by playing lots of different characters. I've tried almost all of them so far and while there are some I like more than others, they're all fun and have their own unique gameplay. It's unfortunately that console players are forced into buying the 60 dollar version since the addons in that really aren't worth it IMO, but I'd definitely say the base game is worth 40 bucks. If this type of game appeals to you, you're going to play it a lot so the asking price doesn't seem all that high. If the game doesn't appeal to you, then yea, you can look at the feature list and say "that's it?" I know I'm glad I bought it, because it's highly polished, has excellent map and character design, and offers the best FPS gameplay I've enjoyed in years.

CritialGaming

Mar 25, 2015
The Enquirer said:
Except they didn't charge over a hundred fucking dollars for what was essentially 4 maps. They charged 40 for over 20 unique characters, quite a few maps, with more to come for free.

It's sort of limited now but they didn't fuck people over in regards to content and how it will be released.
That remains to be seen. Blizzard has a track record of releasing shit super slowly. How long till the next map, 6 months? What about a couple for characters? A year? Who the hell knows? They can say all the shit they want about how all the future content will be free, but they wont tell you when you'll get to see this content. Not to mention all the additional skins that come out for existing and new characters that will be tied into the rng boxes, which by the way by the time a new hero comes out people will be so high level that they will be FORCED to buy boxes in order to have decent chances at getting the new skins. MWAHAHAHAHAHA!

The Enquirer

Apr 10, 2013
CritialGaming said:
The Enquirer said:

That remains to be seen. Blizzard has a track record of releasing shit super slowly. How long till the next map, 6 months? What about a couple for characters? A year? Who the hell knows? They can say all the shit they want about how all the future content will be free, but they wont tell you when you'll get to see this content. Not to mention all the additional skins that come out for existing and new characters that will be tied into the rng boxes, which by the way by the time a new hero comes out people will be so high level that they will be FORCED to buy boxes in order to have decent chances at getting the new skins. MWAHAHAHAHAHA!
And at that point the boxes will still be strictly cosmetic. Plus over the course of leveling and getting loot boxes you'll earn in game currency.

Not saying it's a perfect model but it's much better than the shit Battlefront and tf2 pulled.

XenoScifi

Dec 30, 2013
I do not regret my purchase. I am super skittish about spending $60 on a AAA game (yes I bought the deluxe). With this I feel like I will put at least 100 hours into this easily which is well more time you would get from any single player AAA game. Some folks hate the idea of an online game with no story, but those stories are usually over too quick and are just cliche plot lines.

9/10 for me.

Rawbeard

Jan 28, 2010
I still feel like the game is missing a story mode, the world building is too detailed but has zero connection with the gameplay. such a waste, or maybe just cynical marketing.

jayzz911

Nov 9, 2010
CritialGaming said:
The Enquirer said:

When asked about DLC one of their devs said:"it's going to be a fun summer"

"Not to mention all the additional skins that come out for existing and new characters that will be tied into the rng boxes, which by the way by the time a new hero comes out people will be so high level that they will be FORCED to buy boxes in order to have decent chances at getting the new skins. MWAHAHAHAHAHA!"

also your point about the rng boxes makes no sense since you get currency for duplicates. so the skins you get for the old characters that you allready have will just give you currency to buy the skins you want. But hey what do i know i only actually play the game.