Think Fast, Press Circle

Mike Fang

Mar 20, 2008
Heh, that reminds me of one of my own first encounters with QTE's in cutscenes. It was with Resident Evil 4, right after the fight with the lake monster. That one had given me a real challenge, so after I was done, I put down my controller, leaned back and breathed a sigh of relief.

Bad move.

Suddenly the controller starts vibrating, the "press x to not die" message flashes and I see Leon's leg caught in the rope gone tight, about to drag him out of the boat. I had many a "Holy shit!!!" cross my mind as I started hammering on the controller. I'm pretty sure I serived by the skin of my teeth on that one. While it was definitely exciting, as Yahtzee has often said, QTE's in cutscenes come across as rather cheap since it means all your hard work and effort can be undone with a single bullshit insta-kill for not reacting to one reflex test exactly right.

MCerberus

Jun 26, 2013
Mike Fang said:
Heh, that reminds me of one of my own first encounters with QTE's in cutscenes. It was with Resident Evil 4, right after the fight with the lake monster. That one had given me a real challenge, so after I was done, I put down my controller, leaned back and breathed a sigh of relief.

Bad move.

Suddenly the controller starts vibrating, the "press x to not die" message flashes and I see Leon's leg caught in the rope gone tight, about to drag him out of the boat. I had many a "Holy shit!!!" cross my mind as I started hammering on the controller. I'm pretty sure I serived by the skin of my teeth on that one. While it was definitely exciting, as Yahtzee has often said, QTE's in cutscenes come across as rather cheap since it means all your hard work and effort can be undone with a single bullshit insta-kill for not reacting to one reflex test exactly right.
I always thought of RE4 as the one time it was acceptable though. It fit with the overall cheese of the game and was not yet abused to holy hell. Even then though, shot the pacing straight to hell by never having down time.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
I think the Escapist should make a 10 Memorable (or Infamous) QTE Moments list. It would be interesting.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Sounds about right. QTE's are lame enough as it is, but when they put a "Press X To Not Die" in a cutscene that's already been going on for 5 minutes, it's basically just a "Hey, we worked hard on this, are you actually paying attention?" check.

CaitSeith said:
I think the Escapist should make a 10 Memorable (or Infamous) QTE Moments list. It would be interesting.
#1 would have to be the legendary CoD "Press X To Mourn" or whatever QTE.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Oh scrublings, hast thou not been broken in by the Shenmue series? They are proud QTE fests and were relishing every second of it. Am pretty sure i still sleep with one hand poised for QTEs after all that (or at least that's my preferred excuse).

moosemaimer

Apr 14, 2011

As far as I'm concerned putting QTEs in cutscenes just means you wanted to make Dragon's Lair instead of an actual game. That is, a movie you're pretending to play, like a DVD where you have to keep hitting "next" or it goes back to the menu.

What I'd like to see from gameplay QTEs is a more organic implementation, where you get a generic "action" prompt and the 4 face buttons become standard actions like duck or attack, and you have to determine which would be the most appropriate, and things got better or worse depending on your choice.

warmachine

Hating everyone equally
Legacy
Nov 28, 2012
Country
United Kingdom
I regard the use of QTEs at all as a dick move.

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
Is it bad that, during my first reading of the comic, I thought Erin was streaming on Twitch with a webcam, and her viewers were pissed she wasn't hardcore enough be entirely focused on the game? [small]Or, are cutscene QTEs still worse than trashtalkers on the internet?[/small]

WindKnight

Quiet, Odd Sort.
Legacy
Jul 8, 2009
Cephiro
Country
United Kingdom
MCerberus said:
Mike Fang said:

Bad move.

I always thought of RE4 as the one time it was acceptable though. It fit with the overall cheese of the game and was not yet abused to holy hell. Even then though, shot the pacing straight to hell by never having down time.
Except for the knife fight. (twitch twitch)

Diablo1099_v1legacy

Doom needs Yoghurt, Badly
Dec 12, 2009
Windknight said:
MCerberus said:
Mike Fang said:

Bad move.

Bonus points if you are trying to play the PC version on a PS3 controller with X-Box prompts.
Ohhhhhhh man...I hate the fact that the X button on a Xbox controller is where the Square button is on a Dualshock... >.<

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
meirol said:
I thought Erin was a PC elitist.
Since when has Erin been consistent in her beliefs?
RJ 17 said:
Sounds about right. QTE's are lame enough as it is, but when they put a "Press X To Not Die" in a cutscene that's already been going on for 5 minutes, it's basically just a "Hey, we worked hard on this, are you actually paying attention?" check.

CaitSeith said:
I remember this one bit from Metal Gear Solid 2, I had to press Triangle repeatedly while Solidus Snake was choking Raiden with one of the robot arms on his suit. Does MGS1's torture table sequence count?

anonymity88

Sep 20, 2010
Darth_Payn said:
meirol said:
I thought Erin was a PC elitist.
Since when has Erin been consistent in her beliefs?
RJ 17 said:

CaitSeith said:
I remember this one bit from Metal Gear Solid 2, I had to press Triangle repeatedly while Solidus Snake was choking Raiden with one of the robot arms on his suit. Does MGS1's torture table sequence count?
I don't think it does, as Ocelot spends 5 minutes telling you what's going to happen before he starts. Hence, it's anything but quick!

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
moosemaimer said:

As far as I'm concerned putting QTEs in cutscenes just means you wanted to make Dragon's Lair instead of an actual game. That is, a movie you're pretending to play, like a DVD where you have to keep hitting "next" or it goes back to the menu.

What I'd like to see from gameplay QTEs is a more organic implementation, where you get a generic "action" prompt and the 4 face buttons become standard actions like duck or attack, and you have to determine which would be the most appropriate, and things got better or worse depending on your choice.
Asura's Wrath solves those problems for you. I thinks it's the best use of QTEs in games period. You are rewarded points for doing them, and at worse, you lose some health. Rarely does failing a QTE kill you unless you're playing on the hardest difficulty equipped with the Mortal Gauge; which reduces your health in half. Honestly, the only other game where I thoughtfully enjoyed "Press X To Not Die" QTEs was back in 1995 & 1999 respectively: Die Hard Arcade & Dynamite Cops. Everything else was indifference or frustration barring a few exceptions. The worse I can think of from last generation was From Software's Ninja Blade & Wet. The QTEs in Ninja Blade were 1/3 of the game, and Wet's QTEs were just frustrating and pointless.

<spoiler=Asura vs. Wyzen>

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Windknight said:
MCerberus said:
Mike Fang said:

Bad move.

You beat me to it. That was just absolutely egregious. Every other time the game was still in regular gameplay mode, so one might be expected to still be on alert- but the knife duel was obviously a cutscene.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
I love that I specifically remember that scene where you have to press circle.

I was actually already pushing circle before the button prompt even came up, because if there's one thing Uncharted players know what to do, it's to press cricle.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
warmachine said:
I regard the use of QTEs at all as a dick move.
Same here. No matter how it goes, a game should try to expand on the main game play instead of inserting distracting mini games, especially when some of these QTE scenes look like they would be great with the actual game play of the game. It's the video games strength over movies for fucks sake!