Upgradable Consoles are Just PCs for Peasants

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
Upgradable Consoles are Just PCs for Peasants

The idea of upgrading a console sounds good at first, but the reality is that it might hurt consoles more than it will help.

Read Full Article

CritialGaming

Mar 25, 2015
What they haven't told you yet is that when you go buy a brand new PS4k and you take it home, when you open the box....there will be a laptop inside.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
I'll say the exact same thing you did except less professionally

The second Upgradable Consoles become the norm is the second I...*Sigh.....[small]join the PC crowd[/small]

I feel dirty just saying that but why in the hell would I want all of the negatives that PCs have but none of the positives?

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
Pointless machines, but if those companies have a problem of surplus money then it's their right to piss it up the nearest wall.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
tippy2k2 said:
I'll say the exact same thing you did except less professionally

The second Upgradable Consoles become the norm is the second I...*Sigh.....[small]join the PC crowd[/small]

I feel dirty just saying that but why in the hell would I want all of the negatives that PCs have but none of the positives?
Don't feel dirty Tippy, we'll take good care of you over at Master Race HQ.

OT: Upgradable consoles is a terrible idea, it's, as stated above, the worst aspects of PC bleeding in with none of the benefits (cheaper games, massive backwards compatibility, versatility in HID's, versatility in upgrade paths, etc)

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
tippy2k2 said:
Just get on with it already man, we have cookies and keyboards and Doom WADS.

On a more serious note, Casual Shenanigans have an ongoing series about a PC they built for $350 called The Potato Masher and how it stacks up against PS4/Xbone games.

The most recent video was on Doom and it highlights the relative drop in the cost of PC gaming in the last ten years. Now is the time!

The Enquirer

Apr 10, 2013
If they don't include video options in console games you either won't be getting the most for your money, or have subpar performance because you aren't running a high end console.

TotalerKrieger

Nov 12, 2011
It's going to happen sadly...many new laptops come with a USB-C/Thunderbolt 3 port and a processor fast enough to keep up with a desktop GPU. Attach an external GPU via the Thunderbolt port, and you've got a gaming machine that is just as portable as a console and likely more powerful. I am thinking that next gen consoles will be upgradable so that they won't be made redundant by the laptops that nearly everybody owns for school or work.

Jacked Assassin

Nothing On TV
Jun 4, 2010
Okay.
I'm just stumped on why there is so much drama between the stereotypical "Politically Correct" Master Race & everyone else who doesn't have enough urge to download sex mods for Skyrim.

For me It's either going to kill off the console market or make me consider buying new PCs before they go the way of XP.

Lets not forget that no one who owns a PS4 really likes the idea renting PS3 games through PS Now. So upgradable consoles would probably force plenty of companies away from unnecessary future HD remakes.

Even if the consoles were to somehow become PCs I doubt the consoles would somehow have the same problems seen with cheating like in Dark Souls Sequels. Or bad ports from Consoles to PCs by 3rd Party Companies.

Rebel_Raven

Jul 24, 2011
Right, coz I want what ever upgrade I get for my console to be obsolete in months, cost as much as a console, and so many other flaws, and I've got to worry if my console can play the latest games at full power or not. No thanks.

I'll leave that to the
<youtube=aDMsGl_XxTk>

Anywho, the article makes sense.

Ten Foot Bunny

I'm more of a dishwasher girl
Mar 19, 2014
Jacked Assassin said:
Even if the consoles were to somehow become PCs I doubt the consoles would somehow have the same problems seen with cheating like in Dark Souls Sequels.
Maybe not, but they're fighting cheaters in all the wrong ways. At least Microsoft is. They completely locked all players out of the ability to maintain their own save files. You can't move them to an external drive, and you cant access your cloud saves or choose when to move files back and forth. All you get is an inaccessible file on your console's hard drive that automatically syncs to the cloud on a schedule that you can't control.

The official excuse for this boneheaded decision is that it's "convenient" to have automatic cloud backup. What it is, however, is Microsoft branding every one of its customers as PvP cheaters, and it's popular on Xbox forums to accuse people who want save-file access of being such. Never mind the fact that save files can go corrupt because games glitch, and the automatic cloud backup does nothing except ensure that you have TWO corrupt save files and no good copy to fall back on. For an overwhelming number of us, desiring save file access has nothing at all to do with cheating and everything to do with good saving habits.

And in the spirit of complete transparency, I'm bitter about this because I lost 40 hours of Borderlands 2 progress a month ago when the game didn't save my profile data correctly and that file got corrupted as a result. What happened next? Well, the automatic cloud backup overwrote the good copy of my profile save, and I had no recourse. Lost all of my customizations on every single character, all of my vehicle skins, and approximately 130 Golden Keys. If I had a manual backup save (which I maintain religiously for all of my digital data on every device I own) I could have restored that data by reverting to a good copy of the file. Basically, I got punished for the actions of real cheaters because that's how Microsoft views all of us.

For the record, I intensely dislike competitive multiplayer and have never played CoD or any similar title. In games with forced multiplayer mechanics, I do what I can to avoid them. I only go human in Dark Souls when I want to help others in co-op, and that's because I don't want people invading my game while I'm running around doing my own thing. In Dying Light, I disabled all invasions except by people on my friends list. I'd give more examples but this post is already long enough. ;)

The only thing this console generation has done is convince me to never buy another console. If upgrades become a thing and the systems become more restrictive, then count me out.

------------------

Also, what's with the insulting title of this article? Some of us don't have the money for a PC right now, and calling us peasants is just more elitist bullshit from the PC crowd that has done nothing but sour my opinions of the PC gaming crowd. I agree 100% with the content of the article and the arguments therein, and nothing in the article itself was at all condescending. So was the title really necessary?

MythicMatt

Phantom of the forum
Feb 4, 2015
Upgradable consoles... Are we talking "Mega Drive/Genesis" style, "Nintendo 64/Gamecube" style or "Actual PC" style.
Because only one of those is decent as a concept, and even then not really comparable to what it's imitating. Unless parts become interchangable between consoles and PCs. By which point, you need to decide which is more worth the money [which will usually be the PC, because there's always something to replace or upgrade].

Higgs303 said:
external GPU
Whoa, wait. Those are actual things? How? Why?

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
I'll believe a PC can be just as powerful as a console at the same price point as soon as someone can price one out without using ultra-discounted used parts or $10 operating systems they got from a guy selling bootlegged Windows codes on Reddit.

Madmatty

Apr 5, 2016
Upgrades, updates, install times, all these things are slowly defeating the purpose of consoles am I right?

Fijiman

I am THE PANTS!
Legacy
Dec 1, 2011
If/when they start doing this I will have officially stopped caring about any games released for consoles. If I can't play a game I really want because I don't have the latest tacked on piece of crap they're basically forcing me to buy then what's the point?

Mar 30, 2010
I bought into the console market precisely because I was sick and tired of not being able to play the latest PC releases while I saved up enough money to upgrade my rig. The endless 'save, save, save, upgrade, save, save, save, upgrade' wore me down to the point I just bought a PS2 and had done with it. If Sony and Microsoft are trading the biggest strength of consoles for the biggest weakness of PCs then consoles are gonna ditch, and badly.

Article is right on the money.

VoidWanderer

Sep 17, 2011
Honestly, I think this will be just like 3D TVs, it is a gimmick that will quickly die. Though, I am a bit annoyed at the title of this article though, I mean console gamers get enough of this crap in every social media site. I know that the whole PC Master Race was coined ironically, but by the gods you would think it was a new commandment by the way PC gamers bang on about it.

And is referring to people who don't want to have to have their PC specs memorized when buying games, to figure out IF their PC can run it, as peasants, really necessary?

KaraFang

Aug 3, 2015
Rebel_Raven said:
Right, coz I want what ever upgrade I get for my console to be obsolete in months, cost as much as a console, and so many other flaws, and I've got to worry if my console can play the latest games at full power or not. No thanks.

I'll leave that to the
<youtube=aDMsGl_XxTk>

Anywho, the article makes sense.
Problem is, that I don't think you're going to have long until, as a console owner, the "optional" upgrade very quicky becomes a required upgrade...

Oh, I'm sure that initially sony's "games will be made for PS4 1st with Neo enhancements 2nd" will hold true. Same for when they do and nail down the Xbox1 upgrade as well.

And theennnn.... the game developers will be "yeah, no, this game WILL need a Neo only, cause we can't DO this game with the power the PS4 provides." and Sony will just go "well, we tried purchasers and loyal fans.... now go buy a neo."

Unless they go the full PC route of giving console owners a full 100% employed settings screen to downgrade resolution etc... but then, buy a PC? Cause... yeah...

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
Ten Foot Bunny said:
Also, what's with the insulting title of this article? Some of us don't have the money for a PC right now, and calling us peasants is just more elitist bullshit from the PC crowd that has done nothing but sour my opinions of the PC gaming crowd. I agree 100% with the content of the article and the arguments therein, and nothing in the article itself was at all condescending. So was the title really necessary?
To be fair, this site is where that term was created; so they'll probably keep using it as long as it's a popular joke.