Report: The Division - The Movie in The Works, Starring Jake Gyllenhaal

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Report: The Division - The Movie in The Works, Starring Jake Gyllenhaal

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1326/1326081.jpg
Ubisoft's ambitions MMOFPS The Division is reportedly heading to the big screen.

More "video games becoming movies" news today, although this time around its quite as ridiculous as a Variety reports [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/167465-Tetris-Movie-80M-Budget-Shooting-Next-Year].

Gyllenhaal is set to both star and produce the movie, though it doesn't have a director or a writer yet. Early reports had the game reaching $330 million dollars in sales in just five days, which is reportedly what spurred Ubisoft on into giving it the movie treatment. We don't have any further details on what exactly the movie will be about.

The Division wont be the first Ubisoft property to be turned into a movie: an Assassin's Creed movie [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/124150-Assassins-Creed-Movie-Gets-Release-Date] is set for release this December, and a Splinter Cell adaptation, starring Mad Max's Tom Hardy, has also been announced.

This one makes a lot more sense than other video games to be adapted to video games, as it does have a decent story that can fit into the whole post-apocalyptic cityscape genre that's fairly popular these days. That said, I'm still yet to see a good video game movie, so I'm still looking at this one with skepticism.

Source: Variety [http://variety.com/2016/film/news/jake-gyllenhaal-the-division-movie-1201742202/]

TheRundownRabbit

Wicked Prolapse
Aug 27, 2009
HEY EVERYBODY, remember the last video-game movie Jake Gyllenhaal was in!?
...yeah...yeah that's what I thought, not sounding like a good idea now.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
I wonder if it'll be as boring as the game is :O

Godzillarich(aka tf2godz)

Get the point
Legacy
Aug 1, 2011
Cretaceous
Country
USA
Ubisoft, no one cares about the division anymore. We may have at one point but you completely fucked up its release and your fixing only made it worse. A movie would be a disaster even if it was good because the IP has been tarnished

dreng3

Elite Member
Aug 23, 2011
Country
Denmark
The Division seems like it might be just a little too generic for the silver screen. Then again, a post-apocalyptic movie where the threat is neither aliens nor zombies could be interesting. And a protagonist with actual military training would certainly be an improvement over the average-joe with uncanny marksmanship and hand-to-hand skills.

Vern

Sep 19, 2008
So... is the first hour of the movie just him standing in line waiting to log into the computer? Then the rest of it is him getting killed over and over again by invisible people?

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
TheRundownRabbit said:
You mean an enjoyable romp that's one of the best, if not the best VG-based movie out there?

...not sure I see the problem.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Splinter Cell? Could work. Assassin's Creed? Could also kind of work. This? Ehhh...

irish286

Mar 17, 2012
This might not actually be that bad. The Division isn't really a story driven game like Assassin's Creed. So they could change things enough to make a cohesive movie story without alienating the fans.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Jsan the Candyman said:
Hawki said:
TheRundownRabbit said:
You mean an enjoyable romp that's one of the best, if not the best VG-based movie out there?

...not sure I see the problem.
Best video game movie out there, sure. Best movie in general out there, eh...
Hence why I said "VG-based movie." PoP isn't a "good" movie per se IMO, but it's still the gold standard for VG-based movies.

Which is a bit depressing, but hey, better that then MK or Resident Evil taking that honour.

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
This is a joke right? Just a terrible, horrible, unfunny joke right? No company would be stupid enough to pay for the rights to this, right?... Right?... *goes into corner and sobs*

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
The best thing Ubisoft can do with their literal class warfare plotline is...open it to scrutiny by the wider public. Yep.

cikame

Jun 11, 2008
I liked Prince of Persia :D, the difference between these two movies is that POP actually has characters and The Division has loot drops.

List

Sep 29, 2013
The question is: Will the the characters in the movie also "shoot first ask questions later", "shoot everything that moves", etc.?

On a side note, seems Ubi is selling all their franchise licenses to hollywood all of a sudden.

Skops

Mar 9, 2010
This doesn't even have a proven fanbase following yet. Unless you're banking on releasing during a time where there is no other action flicks in cinemas, I don't see how you're going to attract the casual viewer to something blandly called "The Division". This reminds me of when Capcom announced a Dark Void movie before the game even came out.. Actually, did that happen? I'd love to know how much time and money they wasted on that steaming pile.

LostCrusader

Lurker in the shadows
Feb 3, 2011
I really hope it can't be as bad as the game. But really it will probably just end up being another World War Z without the zombies.

Bobular

Oct 7, 2009
So will the plot of the movie still be government agents gunning down people trying to survive a major humanitarian crisis?

Because I'm thinking that'll be even more obvious when its not actually us doing the shooting.

Gordon_4_v1legacy

Aug 22, 2010
TheRundownRabbit said:
What, you mean Prince of Persia? That fun, colourful rollicking adventure? Yeah it would be a crying shame if this movie could aspire to be half as good.