Bethesda Fixes Far Harbor on PS4, but You Need to Download it Again

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
Bethesda Fixes Far Harbor on PS4, but You Need to Download it Again

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1326/1326417.jpgBethesda has fixed performance issues in the PS4 version of Fallout 4's Far Harbor DLC, but you have to download the whole thing again.

Ever since Bethesda launched the Far Harbor DLC for the PS4 version of Fallout 4, it has had some performance problems. To its credit, Bethesda took note of the issue [https://twitter.com/BethesdaStudios/status/736667205077700608], and submitted a patch to fix it. Unfortunately, instead of that patch, what we ended up with was a re-released version of the entire add-on.

Bethesda has detailed [https://community.bethesda.net/thread/21540] the steps that players should take to acquire the updated version of the DLC as follows:

Confirm Fallout 4 is not running. Highlight Fallout 4 in your PS4 dashboard, press OPTIONS, and select CLOSE APPLICATION to ensure Fallout 4 is not running minimized.
Select RELATED ITEMS. You'll find this under the Fallout 4 icon in the PS4 dashboard.
Select MY ADD-ONS.
Navigate to the DOWNLOAD ARROW next to Far Harbor and select it.
You should see a notice that Far Harbor has been Added to Downloads.
Wait for the downloadable content to finish downloading and installing before starting Fallout 4.

The company also said that if these steps don't work for you, you'll need to delete the game and all add-on content, then re-install from scratch.

It's nice to see Bethesda addressing the issues in the PS4 version of the DLC, but it's a shame they couldn't do so in a way that didn't force players to have to re-download the whole thing. Luckily, it's only 3 GB, so it shouldn't be that onerous a task.

Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
Yes. Fixed an issue that shouldn't be there if they had a proper Q&A.

It really starts to bother me that Beth can release buggy as shit games and get away with it since (some) people have the mindset that mods will fix it anyway.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Poetic Nova said:

It really starts to bother me that Beth can release buggy as shit games and get away with it since (some) people have the mindset that mods will fix it anyway.
That usually is the case, on PCs. Besides, Bethesda's trademark is releasing buggy as hell games.

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
008Zulu said:
Poetic Nova said:

That usually is the case, on PCs. Besides, Bethesda's trademark is releasing buggy as hell games.
To be fair, they may be buggy as hell, But Skyrim (and DLC) and Vanilla Fallout 4 were pretty smooth launches, with only small glitches and bugs here and there, i don't remember there being any game breakers. Fallout 3, Oblivion and Morrowind however.....Yehhhhhhhhhh.

With how big, and knowing how much stuff is actually in these games, i'm hardly surprised. The Devs can do run through's all they want, but the players, eventually, on different systems with different specs across the globe, will find bugs and glitches, whether it's because of their own system not being up to scratch or actually the fault of Bethesda alone.

It would be nice to have a clean Bethesda launch with little to no bugs at all, but i doubt we will ever see it. All the Beta's in the world couldn't get through every bit of content, interact with every object in the game, or complete every single mission main or sidequest. I still find new Skyrim quests even today.

Rebel_Raven

Jul 24, 2011
Do these fixes include issues assigning settlers to stuff? That's about the only major problem I've noticed.

P.S. and screwy Workshop readouts?

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
Buizel91 said:
008Zulu said:
Poetic Nova said:

To be fair, they may be buggy as hell, But Skyrim (and DLC) and Vanilla Fallout 4 were pretty smooth launches, with only small glitches and bugs here and there, i don't remember there being any game breakers. Fallout 3, Oblivion and Morrowind however.....Yehhhhhhhhhh.

With how big, and knowing how much stuff is actually in these games, i'm hardly surprised. The Devs can do run through's all they want, but the players, eventually, on different systems with different specs across the globe, will find bugs and glitches, whether it's because of their own system not being up to scratch or actually the fault of Bethesda alone.

It would be nice to have a clean Bethesda launch with little to no bugs at all, but i doubt we will ever see it. All the Beta's in the world couldn't get through every bit of content, interact with every object in the game, or complete every single mission main or sidequest. I still find new Skyrim quests even today.
Not for Sony consoles... Skyrim was abysmal with and without DLC.

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
RaikuFA said:
Buizel91 said:
008Zulu said:
Poetic Nova said:

Not for Sony consoles... Skyrim was abysmal with and without DLC.
Really what were the issues? Granted i gamed on a 360 at the time but going from what i read on here back in the day Skyrim was a somewhat clean launch, don't remember reading issues with the PS3. (However wasn't the PS3 harder to code for or something, I know Devs had a hard time porting games over to PS3 because of it)

zelda2fanboy

Oct 6, 2009
Poetic Nova said:

Actually they were doing too much Q&A (question and answer, I presume) and not enough QA (quality assurance).

Buizel91 said:
Really what were the issues? Granted i gamed on a 360 at the time but going from what i read on here back in the day Skyrim was a somewhat clean launch, don't remember reading issues with the PS3. (However wasn't the PS3 harder to code for or something, I know Devs had a hard time porting games over to PS3 because of it)
I think there were some general framerate and texture deficiencies compared to the 360 version. The "big" problem was that if you played it long enough (like 30 to 50 hours, which people certainly did, very quickly) was that the game would pretty much shut down. A weird fog would creep in, doors wouldn't open, and general performance would decrease the more you played it. The way the RAM is divided on PS3 meant that it was harder to track items and character information. I believe they came up with a system to gradually delete unnecessary information from the RAM and/or have items disappear/respawn, so it didn't have to track every little thing you did. It took them months to fix the problems and I waited until they did until I started the game. However, once I did play the game, I had zero issues. It ran great, I think even better than Fallout 3 and New Vegas did on 360 when I played them.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
ffronw said:
Luckily, it's only 3 GB, so it shouldn't be that onerous a task.
Must be nice living in the big city, or Europe...

Because until this last year...

3GB would have taken AT LEAST a day or two to download, unless I hogged all the net speed for the day.
I still have friends with caps around 10-20GB.
o_O

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
Do these fixes reduce the rate of settlements being attacked?
Seriously, being in Far Harbor seems to increase that dramatically.
And all of my screws disappeared. ALL OF THEM!

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
Souplex said:
Do these fixes reduce the rate of settlements being attacked?
Seriously, being in Far Harbor seems to increase that dramatically.
And all of my screws disappeared. ALL OF THEM!
So I guess you could say Far Harbor...screwed you?

Chaosian

Mar 26, 2011
Bethesda probably makes some of my favorite games in the world, but I have to say, Fallout 4 just in general has been colossally mismanaged. From a dumbed down and still buggy product, to fucking over modding support repeatedly, to taking eons for the official tools to come out, to a shoddy PS4 port. It just doesn't end with this thing.