Look Out Wallets - The GOG Summer Sale Has Begun

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
Look Out Wallets - The GOG Summer Sale Has Begun

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1327/1327553.jpgThe annual Summer Sale on GOG.com is kicking off by giving away System Shock 2 for free.

GOG.com has been growing in popularity in recent years, thanks in no small part to its support of DRM-free games and of course, The Witcher series. This morning, GOG is kicking off its annual Summer Sale.

Scheduled to run two weeks, the site claims that the sale will feature over 1,000 deals. Shoppers will gather XP for purchases that will unlock free games (including Spelunky and Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers - 20th Anniversary Edition), and for the first 48 hours of the sale, you can get System Shock 2 absolutely free. The game is being given away as part of a stress test for GOG's client, GOG Galaxy. All you have to do to get the game is download the client, go to the sale, and claim your copy of the game.

Also as part of the sale, the Homeworld Remastered Collection is debuting DRM-free on GOG, with a 50% discount. GOG will also be streaming on Twitch for "GOG Plays on Twitch," challenging the GOG Community to play Stardew Valley and Grim Fandango Remastered for a community-wide XP boost.

The sale kicked off at 9 AM ET this morning, and the big day one special is The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt at 50 percent off. New deals will be added every 24 hours. The sale will end on Wednesday, June 22, at 8:59 AM ET.

You can check out all the deals at GOG.com [https://www.gog.com/summer_xp].

Elijin

Elite Muppet
Legacy
Feb 15, 2009
Is there a website which can read my steam wishlist, and then punch it into the filters of other distributors to check for sales? Because I would use the heck out of that. I often end up skipping other sales just because my wishlist (which I use to tag games I'm interested in) is.....big.

Amaror

Apr 15, 2011
Wow that levelling system is devious. I allready had to keep myself in check when I thought:
"Well I don't really want to buy another game, but I am soooo close to getting another free one..."
Also how it gives you Xp for checking in every day, so you get exposed to as many sales as possible.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
The Witcher 3 for that kind of money is an awfully good deal.

Can anyone confirm how playable it is without having finished The Witcher 2? I also heard it's quite different from 2, I wonder how true that is. It's not that I hated 2, I just... I don't know. And since I've lost my save, well, eh. I'm still willing to give 3 a go though. If only because of Project RED.

Pickles

That Ice Ain't Nice
Mar 1, 2012
Country
Australia
Cowabungaa said:

Can anyone confirm how playable it is without having finished The Witcher 2? I also heard it's quite different from 2, I wonder how true that is. It's not that I hated 2, I just... I don't know. And since I've lost my save, well, eh. I'm still willing to give 3 a go though. If only because of Project RED.
The main difference between 2 and 3 is that 3 is an open world game, so theres a lot more exploration and you can tackle the main story as slow or as quick as you want. The combat is a little different but people seem to have vastly different opinions on whether its better or worse. So it plays differently but the overall style of the game is similar to 2.

Its definitely playable without finishing 2, reading a plot summary for the second game would help but probably isn't required. I loved the game so I'd recommend it, but without knowing what you got tired of in 2 its a bit hard to say whether it'd be your cup of tea.

EDIT: Just thought I'd add that I haven't done either of the DLCs yet as I just started a new play through now they're out, so can't comment on them.

DeadProxy

Sep 15, 2010
Cowabungaa said:

You can very easily play Witcher 3 without beating Witcher 2. Almost no one that's introduced to you is from Witcher 2, unless they were in Witcher 1. If anything, you'll get lost meeting the characters Geralt only knows from the books. I've done a playthrough with "emulating Witcher 2 save" and 1 without, and there was hardly any difference at all. The one with the emulated save had me run into a character from Witcher 2 that you can't meet if you don't emulate the save, but that only gave me 1 extra quest and some new dialogue near the Mid point of the game. There are a few(maybe 3 things max) things that are supposed to be added when you emulate the save, but other than that 1 quest string, everything else played the same.

I've beaten Witcher 1, but I haven't played Witcher 2 for more than 20 minutes, so I don't know all the characters that that game introduces, but Witcher 3 does a nice job of summarizing someones importance soon after meeting them.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
gianttalkingpickle said:
DeadProxy said:
Thanks folks. I caved like a failed souffl?.

It even made me get GoG Galaxy when I looked at the myriad of installation and patch files in my account. But I trust their company, so it's all good.

JUMBO PALACE

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 17, 2009
Country
USA
Cowabungaa said:

As others have said, perfectly enjoyable without playing the previous games. In fact, I really disliked the Witcher 2 and only finished because I felt compelled to see it through. The Witcher 3 is one of my favorite games. Totally gripping and one of the best experiences I've had with a game.

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
This coupled with the Steam Summer Sale is going to leave me broke for the next few months.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Only one game on GOG that i want and havent bought already, and that one didnt go on sale...

Elijin said:
Is there a website which can read my steam wishlist, and then punch it into the filters of other distributors to check for sales? Because I would use the heck out of that. I often end up skipping other sales just because my wishlist (which I use to tag games I'm interested in) is.....big.
i think isthereanydeal.com can import steam wishlist. then restrict that site to GOG only and you should be able to do what you want.

Note though: most games arent going to be there. GOG specializes in indies and old games, so if you like higher profile titles that are newer you wont find something.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
Neverwinter Nights is $4 right now and runs on a toaster, so if someone hasn't tried that yet, I HIGHLY recommend it. It's incredible.