First Time The Division Cheaters Will Now be Permanently Banned

Lizzy Finnegan

Mar 11, 2015
First Time The Division Cheaters Will Now be Permanently Banned

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/917/917599.jpg

Ubisoft taking a zero-tolerance stand against cheaters in The Division.

zero-tolerance cheating policy for Rainbow Six Siege [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/167303-Ubisoft-Cracks-Down-on-The-Division-Cheaters] earlier this week, Ubisoft has updated its cheating policy for The Division - and it's just as stern.

In a blog post [http://tomclancy-thedivision.ubi.com/game/en-gb/news/detail.aspx?c=tcm:154-254805-16&ct=tcm:148-76770-32], Ubisoft got straight to the point, stressing its intentions to now permanently ban anyone caught cheating in The Division the first time. Back in April, Ubisoft discussed cheat detection methods that were being implemented, and since last month claims that actions were taken against more than 30,000 accounts, including 3,800 permanent bans.

"Following this campaign of suspensions and bans, it also became clear that while huge progress has been made in terms of cheat detection, our 14 days suspension on first offense policy has not been dissuasive enough," the post reads. "Judging from your feedback, and based on what we witnessed when cheaters came back to the game, we have now decided to push our policy one step further: we will now start applying permanent bans on first offense when players are caught using cheat engines and we will communicate clearly when new ban waves are taking place."

"We are committed to constantly improve your experience in the game, and this begins with ensuring a positive and fair environment free of noxious players willingly violating the rules. We will take all steps necessary to track down cheaters and make sure they cannot spoil your enjoyment of the game."

Recusant

Nov 4, 2014
Putting the obvious technical glitches that're going to rob innocent people of the games they bought and paid for aside, are zero-tolerance policies ever a good idea? Ever? Years ago, I'd've thought that a zero-tolerance policy on, say, nuclear weapons in our schools was safely a good idea, but that attitude lead to that poor kid getting arrested for bringing a homemade clock to school last year.

If it weren't for the logical problems inherent in the idea, I'd say we need a zero-tolerance policy on zero-tolerance policies. This isn't going to end well, Ubisoft.

DeepComet5581

Mar 30, 2010
Ubisoft were quite quick to jump on Blizzard's bandwagon, weren't they?

As I've said before, cheaters get what they deserve. It's okay with a single-player game, because the only person's experience you are ruining is your own. As soon as you start doing it online, it becomes something that needs to be dealt with.

Yes, a number of innocent people will inevitably be caught out by the system, like with Dark Souls 3, and yes, denying a person access to the game they paid for can be seen as unfair; But the non-cheaters paid for the game as well, and should have every right to enjoy the game without impatient fuck-nozzles making that difficult.

The latter outnumber the former, so which do you think developers are going to favour?

The appeals systems will absolutely need to catch up with the current permaban trend, of course they will. I'm not resolutely defending these decisions, but I can't say I blame the developers either. For some, this will be (And has been) the only way they learn.

If it's truly a problem, don't play online games.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
INB4 this update breaks everything and the game becomes even easier to cheat on.

From what I have seen from The Division, it really looks like it has become a cheat and glitch-fest. Cheaters should be banned, not put in the naughty corner. I am happy that Ubisoft has taken this stance, because there really is no excuse to cheat on online games, especially when other people are effected.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
Yeah, I gotta be honest. I enjoy playing the game with friends, but could they address the game's many bugs and glitches?

Trying to self revive in the AOE of a Support Station is spotty at best. I've seen plenty of times where a player couldn't be revived (even a few where a downed, but not dead player couldn't be killed). I have a set of the new Nomad gear which is supposed to instantly restore your health to max upon KO once every 10 minutes and that is a coin flip on if it will even activate. I have had my game crash countless times. My friend has lost all sound probably a dozen times (happened to me once recently). Hell, I once teleported to a mission and ended up in a Safe Room in the middle of the Dark Zone, though teleports in general can be annoying.

I say fix the damn glitches that hurt legitimate play, then worry about the cheaters.

Fulbert

Jan 15, 2009
Recusant said:
a zero-tolerance policy on, say, nuclear weapons in our schools was safely a good idea, but that attitude lead to that poor kid getting arrested for bringing a homemade clock to school last year.
Nuclear weapons? Is that such a real problem in your schools that someone had to come up with an official policy regarding it? What country do you live in, pardon me for asking?
And what do nuclear weapons have to do with home-made clocks?

MHR

Apr 3, 2010
What, just now they actually start with perma-bans? What a trainwreck. Glad I never bought that. Slaps on the wrists for hackers is the worst. Permanent bans should be minimums, and deaths by literal hammers with "BAN" written on them is preferable.

Not banned for life. Banned from life.

Recusant

Nov 4, 2014
Fulbert said:
Recusant said:
a zero-tolerance policy on, say, nuclear weapons in our schools was safely a good idea, but that attitude lead to that poor kid getting arrested for bringing a homemade clock to school last year.
Nuclear weapons? Is that such a real problem in your schools that someone had to come up with an official policy regarding it? What country do you live in, pardon me for asking?
It was just an example; something that, on the surface, no one would be against; who would want it to be otherwise?

And nuclear weapons have nothing to do with homemade clocks, but the paranoia that stems from fear is what lead to that kid being arrested.

Remus

Reprogrammed Spambot
Nov 24, 2012
Fulbert said:
Recusant said:
This kid - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ahmed_Mohamed_clock_incident
Permaban on a first offense might be a bit much. If they want to be strict, have it be second offense, with an appeals system in place for people who weren't aware they were cheating - such as using a modded UI - or for those who inevitably find a glitch, report the glitch, then get banned for finding the glitch.

kasperbbs

Dec 27, 2009
Good. Playing against cheaters online is a miserable experience. I would rather see those assholes lose access to their game than have everyone suffer on their behalf. It's not like UBI is taking away the games from random people on a whim, if you want to keep your game simply don't cheat and you will be fine, probably.

Apr 5, 2008
They should make a "cheaters lobby" and just put them there, let them play amongst themselves. Banning them is theft, I don't care what the EULA says. Unless they want to refund the price of the game and ban them.

MHR

Apr 3, 2010
KingsGambit said:
They should make a "cheaters lobby" and just put them there, let them play amongst themselves. Banning them is theft, I don't care what the EULA says. Unless they want to refund the price of the game and ban them.
You can play The Division in online single-player.

Give them a single-player "practice mode" and let them play that eternally. Problem solved. Refunding to cheating fucks not necessary.

Frost27

Good news everyone!
Jun 3, 2011
KingsGambit said:
Banning them is not even remotely theft. None of them used ROF modifiers, teleport hacks, wall hacks, speed hacks, flight hacks or any of the others "by accident". They intentionally cheated and because YOU don't care what the EULA says doesn't remove its validity.

Eventual permanent bans are common place in other games like Rainbow 6 Siege(finally),Counterstrike, etc. and they have a wave of new cheaters with every steam sale which results in perma-bans of these new accounts which were purchased just to cheat with. That is, in no way, theft.

Apr 5, 2008
Frost27 said:
KingsGambit said:
Banning them is not even remotely theft. None of them used ROF modifiers, teleport hacks, wall hacks, speed hacks, flight hacks or any of the others "by accident". They intentionally cheated and because YOU don't care what the EULA says doesn't remove its validity.

Eventual permanent bans are common place in other games like Rainbow 6 Siege(finally),Counterstrike, etc. and they have a wave of new cheaters with every steam sale which results in perma-bans of these new accounts which were purchased just to cheat with. That is, in no way, theft.
My issue isn't against punishing cheaters, it's about removing all access to a full priced game. The online only and hosted servers gives publishers full control of their game (as well as the ultimate in DRM) and while cheating should be disallowed, removing access to the game is too far. A Cheaters lobby is a middle ground whereby above board players can play without cheats, and cheats don't have their money stolen by publishers.

You compare it to games like R6 Siege, but that's just another game in this expanding genre I will never spend a penny on. I'm not giving anyone money who can take away my ability to access my content. A monthly sub MMO is different since you'll only ever lose at most a portion or a paid sub. There is NO reason these games can't include private/dedicated servers, EXCEPT that publishers want complete control over their game and its content. TF2 is the best online shooter simply because of how it is more player friendly in every way that counts. They can make them F2P and ban anyone they like, or they can charge money. Charging money, banning players and keeping the money is NOT on.

F**k R6 Siege, F**k overwatch, F**k this other ubisoft shit and f**k the King.

Timedraven 117

Jan 5, 2011
Bout time.

First off, you don't accidentally cheat, its a conscious measure that requires premeditation. Glitching by accident is fine, you can appeal that. But cheating in an online game is ruining other people's experience. People saying that they should get refunds are speaking nonsense, if you go to someplace that requires an entrance fee, and you're kicked out for breaking the rules, you don't have a right to a refund, and you don't have a right to return.

Of course there will be some mistakes, there always are, but that's what an appeal is for. Yeah you can't play the game for a month at most, we live in 2016, there's plenty of other games to soak up your time in the mean time. You don't like it? Speak with your wallet.

This is why i hate online only games, they rely too much on interacting with other people and doesn't really play well in solo play which is what i do often. But in any game, the thing i hate most is a cheater, they ruin other people's experience, and they're doing it just for that. They deserve no mercy, and should always always be first strike is a perma ban. They do it once, they'll do it again.

MHR

Apr 3, 2010
KingsGambit said:
My issue isn't against punishing cheaters, it's about removing all access to a full priced game. The online only and hosted servers gives publishers full control of their game (as well as the ultimate in DRM) and while cheating should be disallowed, removing access to the game is too far.
They buy the game for a AAA price and then cheat in it anyway. They know they're going to get banned, why should anyone take pity? They're adults; if they want to throw away their money and then ***** about it after, that's their choice. I don't see why there should be any excuses or allowances for that kind of idiocy.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Well, I'm sure that nothing will go wrong and that nobody will be erroneously banned someh- It already happened, didn't it?

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Good luck to them when they ban thei entire userbase due to glitches :p

DeepComet5581 said:
Yes, a number of innocent people will inevitably be caught out by the system, like with Dark Souls 3, and yes, denying a person access to the game they paid for can be seen as unfair; But the non-cheaters paid for the game as well, and should have every right to enjoy the game without impatient fuck-nozzles making that difficult.
In Dark souls 3 people would get banned from multiplayer for as little as running FRAPS in the background because the game found FRAPS framerate counter as memory injection and flagged the user. Developer response was the same as it was for Dark Souns 2 - "we know, we wont fix it, deal with it".

As far as your dilema goes - there is an easy solution - Use competent netcode to make cheating impossible. We have for some reason regressed to p2p multiplayer mechanic that is a breeding ground for cheaters of all kinds when server-controlled mechanics is what multiplayer actually needs. If the server controls what weapons you have then you cant cheat weapons because server wont even ask the client, it will just assign you your weapons only. yet in P2P you can spawn any item you want because there are no checks.

Frost27 said:
EULA is not a legal document. It has no validity in itself. That being said Ubisoft has every legal right to refuse to give you service, whitch includes up to not being able to connect to uplay and therefore not play the game. Welcome to the world where you dont own your games anymore.

Gearran

Oct 19, 2007
While I'm not a player of The Division (some of the philosophical stances in the story worry me greatly) it's good to see Ubisoft pulling out the stops to curb cheating. I've lost track of the games I've played where obvious cheaters don't get punished, and it's good to see a company taking a no-nonsense approach to this.

As to all the commentary on "you shouldn't ban them for breaking the EULA," I'm gonna agree with Frost27 here. The EULA (or, for those of you who don't know what that means, End User License Agreement) is the contract you sign by purchasing the game that dictates what sort of behavior the company is willing to allow in the product they have released. The punishments for breaking the EULA aren't mysterious and byzantine dictates handed out by a cabal of wizened wizard-programmers on top of Mount Buggery - they're pretty clearly laid out in the document itself. And it isn't like these people are doing it by accident. This is a conscious decision made by jerks who want to get an unfair edge in an online game. They're flaunting the rules, so they get to reap the consequences. Furthermore, it's pretty evident by Ubisoft's own reporting that the 14-day ban wasn't effective enough; enough people who got slapped on the wrist came back and did it again, so it clearly wasn't getting the point across.

This being said, I do wonder what the appeals process is. Some people are going to get caught in this, if for no other reason than because of the laws of statistical spread, by accident. Hopefully Ubisoft does have a pretty solid appeal system in place.

senaji

Sep 28, 2014
Well, that's a deterrent! You cheat and you make a cross on your game! this measure could have been deployed earlier ...