Keiji Inafune is Already Considering a Mighty No. 9 Sequel

Lizzy Finnegan

Mar 11, 2015
Keiji Inafune is Already Considering a Mighty No. 9 Sequel

After repeated delays, Mighty No. 9 is slated to release on June 21 in North America and Asia, and June 24 worldwide. Ahead of the release, creator Keiji Inafune is discussing a sequel.

Mighty No. 9 releases in 10 days [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/167322-Mighty-No-9-New-Release-Date-is-in-June#&gid=gallery_6201&pid=1], and despite development plagued by repeated delays and criticism over the game's launch trailer, creator Keiji Inafune is already considering a sequel.

In an interview withtranslation via Siliconera [http://www.4gamer.net/games/231/G023154/20160223081/]) Inafune said that Mighty No. 9 is "not just a game," and that Comcept is working on an anime and live-action film for it. In addition, Inafune says that development on a sequel is "already in our minds," with the mindset of "we'll do it even if it doesn't sell." It's not immediately clear whether or not this sequel would also be crowdfunded - we have reached out for comment and will update with any new information.

Mighty No. 9 was originally slated for a spring 2015 release, then again to June 21 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/142598-Mighty-No-9-Will-Release-in-February] in North America and Asia (June 24 worldwide), which Comcept stated "is set in stone." In the interview with 4gamer, Inafune apologized for the repeated delays.

"We deeply apologize to the fans and backers for having taken much longer than expected. I learned again how difficult it can be to make a game," he said, adding that the reason for the delay "was not because we were shorthanded, but due to how we were going to sell it, and then biting more than we can chew after declaring that it will be released for all the hardware."

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Well technically the first game has already sold more than enough to warrant a sequel before even being released. So logically it makes sense. It isn't classy though, i hope Inafune is aware of this.

ccggenius12

Sep 30, 2010
MonsterCrit said:
Heay, that'll probably be out somewhere in the they 2025 .
Surely you mean 20XX?

OT: Should have kept it to PC and Nintendo. I'm just happy it's almost over.

Jan 27, 2011
Man, I just feel REALLY bad for them at this point, because half of the hate is their fault, and the other half isn't.

I mean, between the multiplayer fubaring so bad that it forced a huge delay, and then Inafune getting cocky and kickstarting for a MegaMan Legends type game when this one's not even done, THEN the publisher apparently making that "Anime fan on prom night" trailer without the developer's input, this game is really banging its knees on EVERYTHING.

Which is a shame, because as far as I'm aware, the game is pretty decent. :s I really wish it had come out mid-winter and not gotten so damn delayed, that would have helped it a lot.

Leg End

Romans 12:18
Oct 24, 2010
Country
United States
I'm posting solely because I just saw that trailer and must point out the irony in making the prom night joke while having NotRoll be extreme waifu fodder.

Well, that and how stupid it is to be considering sequels when the first has shit the bed in rapid succession just to get out the door.
But mostly the first point.

Redryhno

Jul 25, 2011
aegix drakan said:
Man, I just feel REALLY bad for them at this point, because half of the hate is their fault, and the other half isn't.

I mean, between the multiplayer fubaring so bad that it forced a huge delay, and then Inafune getting cocky and kickstarting for a MegaMan Legends type game when this one's not even done, THEN the publisher apparently making that "Anime fan on prom night" trailer without the developer's input, this game is really banging its knees on EVERYTHING.

Which is a shame, because as far as I'm aware, the game is pretty decent. :s I really wish it had come out mid-winter and not gotten so damn delayed, that would have helped it a lot.
Most of the stuff I've seen sorta makes it seem more like Ninja Pizza Girl(not a bad time trial platformer, but it's not megaman) with some Megaman here and there.

verifiaman

May 30, 2016
Mighty no. 9 was leaked in the UAE
http://thisgengaming.com/2016/06/11/mighty-no-9-leaked-early-in-ua/

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
Good to hear that they still have faith in the entire project and in its future.

Now I just hope that people will give the game a fair judgement, judging the game on what it is and not on the drama that has happened around the development of the game. Ah, who am I kidding, these are gamers and games journalism I'm talking about...

As for the hardware problem... I've been saying this for ages now, you can chalk up the lackluster look of the game to the wide variety of hardware it releases on as well.

thewatergamer

Aug 4, 2012
Yeah thats a great idea, "Our fanbase is pissed at us and alot of customers are avoiding our game like the plague, lets make a sequel!"

If you want to be excited for Mighty No. 9, go ahead, but you won't see me touching that game

"Cry like an anime fan on prom night!"

UberGott

Feb 20, 2014
Mighty Number 9-2? Inafune's optimistic, I'll give him that.

Is anyone really expecting this game to sell well? Most of the people who care about Mega Man retro platform-action games already backed this thing three years ago, and by the looks of the Red Ash campaign, even they're not willing to give Inafune the benefit of the doubt a second time.

aegix drakan said:
...which half wasn't?

Comcept, Inafune's production company, chose to start the Red Ash campaign when confidence in their still-unreleased game was already on shaky ground. When it wasn't funded, they announced a publisher who'd shoulder the cost. In other words, they're asking for more money when - by any rational measure - they didn't even need it. At least Koji Igarashi was up front about using the crowd funding campaign as a way to prove to the publisher they deserved more support.

Deep Silver isn't helping, but Inafune promised to self-publish the game before selling distribution rights to Deep Silver in the first place. The fact that a publisher is even in the cards is on Inafune, and if anything was a factor in the price they asked backers for, which leaves basic promised features being left out of the game due to "budget limitations" galling.

Any sympathy towards this project seems misplaced. Inafune's in too deep as a producer at best, and a clumsy con-man at worst.

MatthewTheDark

The Meme Machine
Jun 13, 2014
Because yeah, when you've already pissed everyone who's already paid for your game and gone as far as to try and do everything in your power to harbor resentment against your product, obviously the best thing to do is to announce you might do another game before your first one is even out. Inafune seriously needs someone to get his head out of the clouds and a slap across the face because he badly needs one at this point.

Pirate Of PC Master race

Rambles about half of the time
Jun 14, 2013
Naturally.

Does people think why or how games like CoD - the game that are seemingly hated - comes year after year? Because people want it, and buy it.

The words of internet means nothing. Only cold, hard profit.
and Series will survive as long as fans support it.

Okamisama

Sep 23, 2015
Kibeth41 said:
A sequel would actually make sense. Ignoring all of the mouth breathers who seem to think "delays = bad game", there's a lot of reasons as to why a sequel would be a much bigger success.

-Keiji Inafune wasn't too experienced working outside of Capcom in his current role
-They can reuse assets from the first game
-They have a better understanding as to how to make certain processes work
-They have a better understanding as to what's a realistic scope for the company (this is the issue which mainly hindered Mighty)
-The release dates will be better estimated (One of the few issues which lead to people's resentment towards this game)
-They will have a better knowledge as to what graphical quality bar they can reach as a team (The other reason people resent the game)
-A cleaner development cycle will lower the possibility of a presumptuous bandwagon who call the game bad.
Funny thing is, I haven't seen ANYBODY calling this a bad game because it got delayed. I have seen plenty of people who have played the game and were completely underwhelmed by what was presented. As for this being due to inexperience? He has released several games prior to the Mighty No. 9 Kickstarter even being started. He is not some indie start up with minimal experience. And while the delays haven't helped, the majority of the ire they have earned has been due to horrible communication with the backers, poor choice in timing and handling of other kickstarters despite other factors, among other things.

And before you start whining about more bandwagoning? I've played the alpha too, and it was underwhelming and bland.

flying_whimsy

Dec 2, 2009
Considering the first one isn't even out yet, I do feel this is a bit of putting the cart before the horse. I mean, yeah, the game's already successful from a certain point of view, but I wonder if it will still be considered as such when it has copies for every platform gathering dust in every gaming section/store. At this point it feels more like Inafune's company is a hype machine than an actual game studio.

Every time this game makes news I'm surprised it still isn't out yet, and every time it manages to piss me off a little bit. First it was the sjw running their forums and banning backers that supported gamergate. Then it was the delays. Then it was seeking more money for another game. Then it was getting a publisher on board. Then it was more delays. Then it was a terribly insulting trailer. Now it's an announcement for a sequel before the game is even out.

Jesus, Inafune, just put out the fucking game and talk to us after that. Also, fire whoever is in charge of PR.

verifiaman

May 30, 2016
Oh not this again. Please, don't derail the thread with this.

Also does anyone agree with this poster? edit(quotes aren't working on my browser)
(pirate of pc master race)
Naturally.

Does people think why or how games like CoD - the game that are seemingly hated - comes year after year? Because people want it, and buy it.

The words of internet means nothing. Only cold, hard profit.
and Series will survive as long as fans support it.