Prey Returns, Developed by Arkane Austin

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
Prey Returns, Developed by Arkane Austin

The long-rumored return of Prey is real.

After tons of more [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/167633-Bethesda-Reportedly-Showing-Skyrim-Remaster-Prey-2-Wolfenstein-2-and-More-at-E3], Prey is finally coming back to life. Developed by Arkane Austin, this new version of Prey casts you as Morgan Yu, a man who awakens on a space station and is subjected to experiments designed to improve the human race.

Of course, it's a video game, so something has to go wrong. The station is under attack by aliens, and you have to survive. The official description of the game goes like this:

"You are Morgan Yu, the subject of morally dubious experiments designed to improve the human race. You awaken aboard the Talos 1 in the year 2032 and must uncover the secrets hiding in the depths of the space station while being hunted by the mysterious alien force that has taken over. You'll have to rely on the tools you find on the station - along with your wits, weapons and mind-bending abilities - to combat the growing threat and, hopefully, survive."

Prey is coming to PC, PS4, and Xbox One, but there's no official release date set yet. You can bet that there will be plenty of information forthcoming at Quakecon in August.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
Looks interesting, though I'm kind of disappointed that nothing of the original Prey 2 seems to be in this. It appears to be a completely different game. Oh well, still intrigued.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Don't forget about Tommy! I want to know what happened to him. A lot of people are bummed they aren't doing the bounty hunter thing, but I'm more bummed that we wont know what happened to Tommy after 1. I mean, unless they want to address that...Id be cool with that.

Viper114

Dec 3, 2008
There probably won't be a Tommy, as this seems like a reboot instead of a sequel. I kinda figured Prey's shtick was "mystical Native American abilities" versus alien technology, but they abandoned that with this.

Extra-Ordinary

Elite Member
Mar 17, 2010
I have no idea what this has to do with Prey, even in the "feel" department.
I don't care, it's too early to complain and it looks awesome anyway.

DoctorM

Nov 30, 2010
So it's a sequel in name only? Bah.
Although it does look like they've kept the ridiculous shaky cam... something I'd hope would go.

flying_whimsy

Dec 2, 2009
I only played part of the original prey (but I liked what I did play), so I'm totally missing what is or isn't related to it (or the prey 2, which I never even knew they made). From the other comments I get that this doesn't appear related and there's some element of disappointment about not being a bounty hunter? Is that right?

The trailer looks like the love child of portal and half-life with a sprinkle of time travel thrown in. I'd be more excited if I saw gameplay instead of a beautifully rendered trailer, but also it doesn't looke like it's bringing much knew to the table. That better be one hell of story because anything that looks like it wants to be a successor to valve's stuff (you know, back when they made games) is going to have a hard time comparing.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
So no more bounty hunting action? Aww man...

Not that this looks bad, but I've really been waiting for a new bounty hunting FPS.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
Why even call it Prey?

And it kind of sucks that we still wont get our free roam cyberpunk game.

This looks like another Bioshock/System Shock, its likely that it will be cool but I really wanted what Prey 2 had to offer.

Kungfu_Teddybear

Legacy
Jan 17, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
I'm extremely disappointed they didn't revive Prey 2, but this looks interesting I guess. Just not as interesting as say... this

JUMBO PALACE

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 17, 2009
Country
USA
Saelune said:
Don't forget about Tommy! I want to know what happened to him. A lot of people are bummed they aren't doing the bounty hunter thing, but I'm more bummed that we wont know what happened to Tommy after 1. I mean, unless they want to address that...Id be cool with that.
Agreed! I really liked Tommy and all of the characters and style from the first game. I'm interested to see where this goes, but this looks to be even more unrelated to Prey 1 than the first version of Prey 2 was.

Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
I'm dissapointed.

Instead of Prey 2, we get something that has nothing to do with the original Prey at all.

kekkres

Jun 5, 2013
Poetic Nova said:
I'm dissapointed.

Instead of Prey 2, we get something that has nothing to do with the original Prey at all.
Just like prey two had absolutely nothing to do with prey at all

Solkard

Sep 29, 2014
When I first saw the space suit and the black/shadow goop, I thought this was going to be a some sort of XCOM: The Bureau 2 game

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
Well, that's pretty. As others have noted, it doesn't seem to have a heckuva lot to do with either Prey or the original conception of Prey 2.

But I'm not entirely against that. Prey had some neat mechanics (portals, changing gravity, spirit world) and a workable underlying story idea (fighting against an alien race that was attempting to turn humanity into food.) But it was ultimately rushed and at times vaguely cut-and-paste (Go into spirit world, look for the route than wasn't visible in the "real world", lather, rinse, repeat.)

I think there's room enough to take some of what worked and build upon it with a new character, even building (however tenuously) on the existing lore. And Arkane has a pretty good reputation for making first-person games with a greater emphasis on physicality and presence; whatever the name, I will be curious to see the result.

Yeah, it could be crap. But I'd rather they tore apart and put together a zombie IP like Prey than one that has a lot more going for it, with the concurrent possibility of a bad re-imagining shelving it permanently.

Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
kekkres said:
Poetic Nova said:
I'm dissapointed.

Just like prey two had absolutely nothing to do with prey at all
I assumed Prey II continued from someone else's perspective, but stil set in the aftermath of Prey 1.

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
Based on the trailer, they seem to have dropped everything that made Prey what it was and turned it into something else entirely. They even replaced the weird weapons with a shotgun, and the native american protagonist with generic white dude.

The final game might be cool, but one has to wonder why they even bothered with the "reboot" angle. It is not like the name carried enough weight to justify it.

Jburton9

Aug 21, 2012
Maybe Survival: Prey Universe or something along those lines? If it is not a true sequel to the first game then maybe shift the title some. I assume at this point in marketing branding strategy they are too far down the path to change it?

I do like the look, Scifi edgy, it reminds me of a dash of Portal and symboite stuff from Venom in Marvel Comics.