New Pokemon Sun And Moon Pokemon Revealed at E3

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
New Pokemon Sun And Moon Pokemon Revealed at E3

Three new Sun And Moon Pokemon were revealed at Nintendo's E3 presentation, alongside some more info on the game.

Nintendo's E3 Treehouse livestream event wasn't just about Zelda [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/167721-First-The-Legend-of-Zelda-Breath-of-the-Wild-Trailer-Debuted-at-E3], some information on other games was also revealed. Case in point: three new Pokemon Sun And Moon Pokemon were revealed, alongside a bunch of new info and gameplay footage.

The three new monsters are the Normal/Flying-type Woodpecker Pokemon Pikipek, the smiling mongoose Normal-type Pokemon Yungoos, and the Bug-type Grubbin. These are all fairly standard archetypes for Pokemon early on in the Pokemon world - you might say these three are the equivalent of Red And Blue's Pidgey, Rattata and Caterpie respectively.

Also revealed were new forms of Solgaleo and Lunala - the Mascot Pokemon for Sun and Moon, and a new mythical Pokemon - Magearna.

As far as features go, a brand-new battle format called Battle Royal will debut in Sun And Moon. Battle Royal is a new battle system where four players battle against one another at the same time. Each of the four Trainers in the battle chooses three Pokemon and sends one Pokemon into battle at a time. The battle finishes at the end of any turn when all of the Pokemon of one Trainer have fainted.

[gallery=6291]

Auron225

Oct 26, 2009
Can we expect another 30 announcements for them to formally declare the existence of all the new ones?

I mean really; it is the gen's starter bird, beast/rodent and bug. You know, the ones we'll be grinding against with our starters, and maybe possibly using one of until we can catch better stuff.

That mythical one looks interesting but I'm not that psyched about its ability; a SP At buff if its ally faints in a double? It's way too situational and still not that exciting. Moxie is an awful lot more useful than that.

Headsprouter

Monster Befriender
Legacy
Nov 19, 2010
Steven Bogos said:
You might want to include that trainer customisation was confirmed to return in Sun and Moon. I don't know, it's not a HUGELY important detail but I was very happy to hear it and some others may be too.

Auron225 said:
I mean really; it is the gen's starter bird, beast/rodent and bug. You know, the ones we'll be grinding against with our starters, and maybe possibly using one of until we can catch better stuff.
Oi.

They've learned to not make Pokemon completely useless in battle. Gen 6's rattata, Bunnelby turned into an offensive tank as Huge Power Diggersby. Vivillon had an interesting signature move in Powder, another niche thanks to Friend Guard and that wing gimmick.

It sounds to me like you've already cast them aside based on their location and some speculation on their usefulness, which, as a sentimental person, I struggle to put into words how difficult I find to relate to.

I appreciate that Grubbin doesn't look like it's going to be a butterfly in its final stage and that Yungoos looks absolutely hilarious and looks like it has a lot of potential for a fun final stage design as well. I'm almost sad that I already feel that they're both going to be on my playthrough team. That's already half my slots including Rowlet...

The bird doesn't make a huge impression on me. It's not bad or anything, I just don't feel much for it in its current stage.

Keep 'em coming Game Freak. I'd love a big heap of new designs and typings for this generation. Made me spoilt for choice!

EDIT: That Robot Bunny has a LASER CANNON for an arm! That's...BRILLIANT!

Wrex Brogan

Jan 28, 2016
Auron225 said:
Can we expect another 30 announcements for them to formally declare the existence of all the new ones?

That mythical one looks interesting but I'm not that psyched about its ability; a SP At buff if its ally faints in a double? It's way too situational and still not that exciting. Moxie is an awful lot more useful than that.
According to Serebii.net, Magernea's ability is a SP.Att boost whenever any pokemon in the arena faints - ally or enemy. So like Moxie, but get some added use for when shit hits the fan in doubles/triples/the new Battle Royals.

And the little Ferret's ability Stake-Out gives it 2x damage against switch-ins, like a free pursuit. Sweet - though predictable - ability, and after how good Talonflame was I'm not gonna jump the gun and write these guys off yet. Hell, maybe they'll make the starting bug pokemon decent this time around. That'll be a first.

I don't think it's that weird they're announcing all the Standard Route 1 Pokemon though - didn't Fletchling and that get announced early on with Gen 6? And I could've sworn I saw Zigzagoon and Poocheyena back when Ruby and Sapphire were the hot new thing.

Diablo2000

Tiger Robocop
Aug 29, 2010
So it's generation's Ratatta, Caterpie and Pidgey? I like them, more than I like Gen 4 or 5 ones anyway.
Solgaleo and Lunala new forms are... OK, I guess? I hope it means Lunala will suck less, because that 4x weakness to freaking Dark (On the freaking moon pokemon) it's very lame indeed... Meh, maybe I am just overreacting and it more than make up for in stat wise.

Raioken18

Dec 18, 2009
Diablo2000 said:
So it's generation's Ratatta, Caterpie and Pidgey? I like them, more than I like Gen 4 or 5 ones anyway.
Solgaleo and Lunala new forms are... OK, I guess? I hope it means Lunala will suck less, because that 4x weakness to freaking Dark (On the freaking moon pokemon) it's very lame indeed... Meh, maybe I am just overreacting and it more than make up for in stat wise.
But... you can't clearly see the Moon when it's shaded by the Earth (lunar eclipse)... So I feel like it kinda still makes sense haha.

They've said before that they were aiming for more simplistic designs for regular pokemon than Talonflame, Florges and Dragalge being given as examples of overly complicated designs. That robot one looks overly complicated, though the other new common pokemon look pretty good in terms of design, will have to wait for the evolutions to really see if they made a difference.

CyanCat47_v1legacy

Nov 26, 2014
I'm starting to believe the pokemon war theory more and more considering how new pokemon and regions just seem to be "discovered" all the time

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat šŸ
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
šŸ‡¬šŸ‡§
Well, Grubbin looks fairly cute, we'll have to see what it evolves into though. I'm still holding out for a new lobster or crab Pokemon, given the abundant water of the region.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
All I have to say is that the mongoose Pokemon got sharp teeth!

Well ok sure they look alright but I'm not excited for them knowing they are the Pokemons you encounter after the starter.