Dead Rising 4 Revealed, Frank West Returns

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Dead Rising 4 Revealed, Frank West Returns

Frank West returns in an all new story for Dead Rising 4.

Dead Rising [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/dead%20rising] fans were treated to the surprise announcement of Dead Rising 4 as part of Microsoft's E3 presentation, and fans of the original game will be particularly pleased to learn that war photographer Frank West will be returning to a starring role. Unlike previous installments in the series, Dead Rising 4 will launch simultaneously on PC and Xbox One on November 23rd, 2016.

"Frank is back in Willamette, Colorado, 16 years after the events of the original Dead Rising. A mysterious outbreak has overrun the Willamette Memorial Megaplex Mall and surrounding town with deadly predators... and Frank soon realizes that what's dead doesn't always stay that way," wrote Microsoft in a blog post [http://news.xbox.com/2016/06/13/frank-west-returns-dead-rising-4-coming-holiday-xbox-one-windows-10-pc/#qIGhkyY4R2Vy0OeU.99].

Dead Rising 4 will feature several new types of zombies, including the "fresh" - freshly turned zombies that maintain the speed and agility of their human forms, and the "evo" - zombies that have "evolved" to take on traits from predatory animals.

Some fan-favorite features will return, including the ability to combine hundreds of weapons and vehicles to combat the horde, while new features include Exo-suits and drop-in-drop-out 4-player co-op multiplayer.

This game certainly looks like a return to what made Dead Rising so enjoyable in the first place. Lets just hope they've ditched the awful save system of the first game...

Infernai

Apr 14, 2009
Well, Can't think of anyone better suited as a protagonist. I mean, he's covered Wars y'know!

...I'm not apologizing for a damned thing.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
Sure it doesn't show gameplay, but it put a smile on my face. Hopefully the Evo Zombies have some kind of variety, cos I'm guessing they'll just be dog-like.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Infernai said:
Well, Can't think of anyone better suited as a protagonist. I mean, he's covered Wars y'know!

...I'm not apologizing for a damned thing.
I've always felt that Frank West made this franchise a decent 'Take the piss out of the zombie apocalypse' series of zombie games. And we do love our running gags, so don't apologize.

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
With the ending that DR3 had I assumed it was the last game in the series. 16 years would make Frank about 52 or 53. Seems kinda old for a guy to fight zombies but nice to play older characters I guess.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
"Lets just hope they've ditched the awful save system of the first game..."

You mean the save system designed to make it have a survival feel that also showed to take advantage of that your experience stayed across playthroughs? I tire of the criticism of the save system of 1, cause it was for a very specific reason.

JamesStone

If it ain't broken, get to work
Jun 9, 2010
How do you think the families of the zombified people feel about this?

Like, fo' real, if my mom or wife had to make a trip to a place that got infested, and I was holding on hope she'd still be alive, I don't think I'd feel very good having my first confirmed sighting of her being in a picture while a reporter is finding new and inventive ways of destroying her shambling corpse...

Definitely overthinking this. Looks cool.

LaughingAtlas

Nov 18, 2009
The aesthetic of the thing has a bit of that dark and 'realistic' look to it, but tone feels nicely ridiculous.

Curious about the 'evo' zombies, though, because that seems like a very odd thing for genetically altered wasps to do. I didn't play DR 3, so maybe I just missed some utterly ludicrous plot developments.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Bat Vader said:
With the ending that DR3 had I assumed it was the last game in the series. 16 years would make Frank about 52 or 53. Seems kinda old for a guy to fight zombies but nice to play older characters I guess.
Just as a comparison, my Dad's 63 this year, looks like late 40's and is in better shape than I am at 35... so for some folks age isn't a handicap, its a challenge.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
LaughingAtlas said:
The aesthetic of the thing has a bit of that dark and 'realistic' look to it, but tone feels nicely ridiculous.

Curious about the 'evo' zombies, though, because that seems like a very odd thing for genetically altered wasps to do. I didn't play DR 3, so maybe I just missed some utterly ludicrous plot developments.
Well, d'you remember the kinda upgraded Zombies from "Dead Rising 2" after the gas strengthens them?

http://deadrising.wikia.com/wiki/King_Zombie

They came back in DR3, but more deformed. So I imagine this new Evo Zombie will be a more animalistic variant of these.

Adam Locking

Aug 10, 2012
Saelune said:
"Lets just hope they've ditched the awful save system of the first game..."

You mean the save system designed to make it have a survival feel that also showed to take advantage of that your experience stayed across playthroughs? I tire of the criticism of the save system of 1, cause it was for a very specific reason.
Seconded, I genuinely don't understand the problem with the save system, it worked exactly as intended and enabled a great sense of progression, while still allowing you to "complete" the game with a bad ending if you so wished.

LaughingAtlas

Nov 18, 2009
Evonisia said:
LaughingAtlas said:

Well, d'you remember the kinda upgraded Zombies from "Dead Rising 2" after the gas strengthens them?

http://deadrising.wikia.com/wiki/King_Zombie

They came back in DR3, but more deformed. So I imagine this new Evo Zombie will be a more animalistic variant of these.
Weren't those guys just
a result of the wasps maturing into queens throughout the hosts' bodies, as opposed to just in the head? I can kind of understand that making them a little bigger and maybe even faster (hive mind already, more matured wasps presumably working the nervous system for better control?), but if we're talking about growing claws or doing L4D Hunter-leaps, then I don't think things can even be called tangentially rational anymore.
Will have to wait and see, but if we're going with the usual 'zombie virus' shtick, I probably should have taken it as red that absolutely anything was on the table.

Brian Tams

Sep 3, 2012
LOL, I can't wait for this game to get delayed to march/april, rendering the Christmas motif completely out of place.

SergejH

Jan 22, 2009
They didnt mention most important thing, its for WIN 10 on PC... And i was sooooo looking forward to this :(