Gearbox Adding Cosmetic Microtransactions to Battleborn Tomorrow

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
Gearbox Adding Cosmetic Microtransactions to Battleborn Tomorrow

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1329/1329837.jpgYou'll be able to buy new Battleborn skins and taunts with real money starting tomorrow.

Gearbox has announced [https://battleborn.com/en/news/view/en-the-vision-for-battleborns-in-game-marketplace/] that they are bringing a premium currency to Battleborn. Called "Platinum," the new currency will allow players to buy specific items in the in-game marketplace. Initially, these items will be skins for all 26 heroes and taunts for Ghalt, Oscar Mike, Benedict, Shayne & Aurox, El Dragon, Whiskey Foxtrot, Kleese, and Alani. Gearbox says that these items "will not affect gameplay at all." The game's DLC packs will also be available through the in-game marketplace.

This shouldn't come as a surprise to those who were following Battleborn prior to launch, as Gearbox laid out their plans to add these items back in March [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/166876-Battleborn-Post-Launch-DLC-Plans].

Skins will cost 420 Platinum, with taunts coming in a little cheaper at 230 Platinum. How much will Platinum cost? Here's the chart:

$1.99 for 230 Platinum
$4.99 for 700 Platinum
$9.99 for 1625 Platinum
$19.99 for 3500 Platinum
$49.99 for 9300 Platinum

Of course, there's also a mention in the blog post [https://battleborn.com/en/news/view/en-the-vision-for-battleborns-in-game-marketplace/] of the possibility of new content. The company says that it is "exploring convenient ways players can add bank spaces, loadouts, or boost their XP and credit earnings that do not affect actual gameplay."

The first free hero was added to Battleborn back in May [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/167530-First-New-Battleborn-Hero-Alani-Shown-Off-in-Two-New-Videos].

You can see some examples of the new skins on the Battleborn website [https://battleborn.com/en/news/view/en-the-vision-for-battleborns-in-game-marketplace/].

Ryallen

Will never say anything smart
Feb 25, 2014
Well, that's a shame. The one thing that Battleborn had over Overwatch, and they straight up ruined it. They even promised that they wouldn't do that to the game! Oh well.

Jan 27, 2011
Ryallen said:
They even promised that they wouldn't do that to the game! Oh well.
Neeeeever trust a company not to include microtransactions in their multiplayer games. Some CEO somewhere is going to be pushing VERY hard for anything that makes them an extra dime.

irish286

Mar 17, 2012
Just for comparison's sake. I work at a game store, we've sold 48 pre-orders and at least one copy of overwatch everyday since it's release and have only taken in about 5 trades of them all of which have sold. We've sold 24 copies of Battleborn for pre-order and have 21 copies sitting in the back of the store that we've taken for trade. In other words, Battleborn isn't doing so hot and needs the cash.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Id be upset if I actually gave a fuck about either game.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
Ryallen said:
Well, that's a shame. The one thing that Battleborn had over Overwatch, and they straight up ruined it. They even promised that they wouldn't do that to the game! Oh well.
They never promised that. They said straight up that transmigration were coming before the game released.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Ugh, you idiots, unless you are making it free to play, you are killing what little community is left.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
irish286 said:
Just for comparison's sake. I work at a game store, we've sold 48 pre-orders and at least one copy of overwatch everyday since it's release and have only taken in about 5 trades of them all of which have sold. We've sold 24 copies of Battleborn for pre-order and have 21 copies sitting in the back of the store that we've taken for trade. In other words, Battleborn isn't doing so hot and needs the cash.
The devs announced that microtransations were coming before the game released. The massive price slash on Overwatch's release day didn't help.

Battleborn's director shot the game's chances down when he tried to make the comparison of Battleborn and Overwatch when they're different games. No one knows why they marketed their First Person MOBA as comparable to an FPS in the style of TF2 and thought that was a good idea.

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
Ryallen said:
Actually, the story even contains the link to where they said they would be doing exactly this:

This shouldn't come as a surprise to those who were following Battleborn prior to launch, as Gearbox laid out their plans to add these items back in March [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/166876-Battleborn-Post-Launch-DLC-Plans].
Side note: Why does everyone seem to want to compare Overwatch and Battleborn? Other than being first-person shooters that released near each other, they have very little in common in gameplay.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
I'm sure the 19 people still playing the game will be absolutely thrilled.

Hey-ooooohhhhhh! :p

Ryallen

Will never say anything smart
Feb 25, 2014
ffronw said:
Ryallen said:
Actually, the story even contains the link to where they said they would be doing exactly this:

Side note: Why does everyone seem to want to compare Overwatch and Battleborn? Other than being first-person shooters that released near each other, they have very little in common in gameplay.
Ah. I did not see that. My apologies. Honestly, I've played Battleborn more than Overwatch, and I couldn't tell you why I compare them.

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
Ryallen said:
Ah. I did not see that. My apologies. Honestly, I've played Battleborn more than Overwatch, and I couldn't tell you why I compare them.
Honestly, that wasn't directed at you so much as a generic "everyone." It's so prevalent we even talked about it on the Escapist podcast recently.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Are they really going back to the points based DLC buying system? So you pay a lump sum that is tied up in the points for the game, even if you're stuck with extra leftover points that aren't enough to buy anything. It's like the Bioware/EA points nonsense. Just put a dollar price tag on it and let people buy what they want.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
ffronw said:
Ryallen said:

I believe it was the director of Battleborn who first drew that comparison from a marketing perspective. He chose to directly compete with Overwatch.

Here's a link showcasing that:https://gameup24.wordpress.com/2016/05/23/retailers-discount-battleborn-as-overwatch-prepares-to-launch/

Gearbox calls arena shooters like Overwatch and Lawbreakers similar to their FPS MOBA and it seems they shot themselves in the foot by having that mentality in the marketing. They were the ones to make the Battleborn=Overwatch comparison first.

The made a full priced MOBA with microtransactions and thought that would fly. The market said otherwise.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Oh no. Cosmetic microtransactions. Oh the humanity. Gaming is ruined. I don't want to live on this planet anymore. Take Gearbox to the pits of hell and zzzz...

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Why do you fools fall for this? These aren't games in the artistic sense some seem to demand, these are temperamental services which demand multiple subscriptions and a constant other flow of fools to complete the cycle. Break the damn cycle! This is just a pretty looking drug in the end.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Xsjadoblayde said:
Why do you fools fall for this? These aren't games in the artistic sense some seem to demand, these are temperamental services which demand multiple subscriptions and a constant other flow of fools to complete the cycle. Break the damn cycle! This is just a pretty looking drug in the end.
Nah, drugs are addictive, and it seems people have absolutely no problem with quitting Battleborn. :p

SirSullymore

Mar 26, 2009
Still don't understand the uproar over Overwatch's loot boxes.

Question, can you earn the Platinum by playing or is it only obtainable through real cash, because if you can only buy it, that sucks. Still not a deal breaker for me though as its entirely optional and doesn't effect the game.

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
SirSullymore said:
Still don't understand the uproar over Overwatch's loot boxes.
Because they are entirely random and luck based, and items you have already unlocked pop up constantly (so there is almost no way to "select" what to unlock). Even buying loot boxes does not make it less random.

Good think that the game is just fun to play, because "the progression" is very badly designed. It gets to a point where it is no longer a carrot-on-a-stick situation, because at some point, a new loot box just means maybe one new graffiti for some character you barely use, and three other items you already have (if you are lucky).