Darth Vader Will Make an Appearance in Rogue One

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Darth Vader Will Make an Appearance in Rogue One

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1295/1295585.jpg
It's been confirmed that Vader will have some on-screen role in the upcoming Star Wars spin-off.

If you thought that Rogue One [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWaLxFIVX1s] Star Wars spin-off.

As of now, we have no idea what Vader's role in the film will be, or even who will be in the suit. We're hoping that James Earl Jones' iconic voice will return, but nothing has been confirmed.

Rogue One tells the story of the rebels who stole the schematics for the Death Star, which allowed Luke Skywalker and the Rebel Alliance to blow up the Empire's planet-destroyer. It makes sense that Vader, who would have been on the Death Star at the time, would be making an appearance.

We know that Vader probably won't be the main "villain" of the film, though, as Ben Mendelsohn will be playing an Imperial officer named Director Krennic, whom we are expecting to be the hero's primary foil.

Rogue One launches in theaters worldwide on December 16, 2016.

Source: Entertainment Weekly [http://www.ew.com/article/2016/06/22/star-wars-rogue-one-cover]

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
I'm sure they'll shove him in as many films as possible

Jadak

Nov 4, 2008
Soviet Heavy said:
Bothan Spies found the second Death Star plans. They had nothing to do with Rogue One.
I feel like at this point that mistake has to be intentional and anyone saying it is just trolling.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
Of course he will be. As has been established as canon in the Star Wars universe, there is about a bakers dozen worth of people who dictate every single thing that ever happens ever in the entire universe...

Nov 28, 2007
I'm OK with this. After all, considering the opening of Episode IV, it's safe to say Darth Vader would have been aware of the theft. I'd be more bothered if they, say, had Tarkin make an appearance.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
From what I've heard on Pat the NES Punk's podcast: the original script was supposed to be darker...like an actual war movie set in the Star Wars universe, and was supposed to feature a rather ruthless slaughter carried out by Vader.

Buy Disney stepped in and said "Yeah...no. Make this into an adventure movie." This is apparently the reason they had to call the cast back for weeks worth of re-shoots.

Nov 28, 2007
RJ 17 said:
From what I've heard on Pat the NES Punk's podcast: the original script was supposed to be darker...like an actual war movie set in the Star Wars universe, and was supposed to feature a rather ruthless slaughter carried out by Vader.

Buy Disney stepped in and said "Yeah...no. Make this into an adventure movie." This is apparently the reason they had to call the cast back for weeks worth of re-shoots.
This may be an unpopular stance for me to take, but I'm kind of seeing where Disney was coming from. There is a place for darkness in Star Wars, to be sure, but it needs to be balanced out a bit. To have a movie similar to a "war movie", complete with ruthless slaughter, doesn't really seem to fit the tone of Star Wars as a whole.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
In other news, the sky is blue, water is wet, and humans breathe air. Honestly, I'd be surprised if he didn't appear in this movie. He is, and always has been, heavily tied with the Death Star. Star Wars opens with him chasing down Princess Leia because of the plans. Even if the movie ended with him stepping onto the bridge of a Star Destroyer and saying, "I will handle this from here," he was going to be in this movie.

Now, what I'm expecting is for him show up toward the end of the movie and wipe the floor with this team of Rebels. Does he kill them all? No, probably not. However, I'm betting some of the team stays behind to hold him off while the others complete the mission, and it's not even a contest.
In the book, the entire team that beamed the transmission to Leia was wiped out, so I'm expecting something along those lines.

NLS

Norwegian Llama Stylist
Jan 7, 2010
Also worth noting: Forest Whitaker's role is confirmed to be Saw Gerrerra from season 5 of the Clone Wars.

To anyone questioning Vaders appearance: The actual last shot we see from him in RotS is him overseeing the construction of the Death Star, and ep4 starts with him chasing down the stolen plans. He's the right hand of the emperor and with the Jedi assumed extinct his latest job is probably everything Death Star related.

Jute88

Sep 17, 2015
Clive Howlitzer said:
Can't we just let him go already? Pretty please? He isn't nearly as interesting as you all think he is.
Agreed. He had his place in the original trilogy. Why not give room to some new, interesting villains?

StatusNil

Oct 5, 2014
"Director Krennic"?

But so many Star Wars movies have already had the director as the main villain!

Metalix Knightmare

Sep 27, 2007
Jute88 said:
Clive Howlitzer said:
Can't we just let him go already? Pretty please? He isn't nearly as interesting as you all think he is.
Agreed. He had his place in the original trilogy. Why not give room to some new, interesting villains?
Well we got NEW, but Disney is having problems making them INTERESTING. Or even intimidating for that matter.

Say what you will about Vader, the guy pretty much established himself as Super King Big Nuts the moment he lifted a dude six inches off the floor with one hand. Then he solidified it by choking another dude with his mind. These new guys just don't carry that kind of impact.

Jute88

Sep 17, 2015
Metalix Knightmare said:
Jute88 said:
Clive Howlitzer said:
Well we got NEW, but Disney is having problems making them INTERESTING. Or even intimidating for that matter.

Say what you will about Vader, the guy pretty much established himself as Super King Big Nuts the moment he lifted a dude six inches off the floor with one hand. Then he solidified it by choking another dude with his mind. These new guys just don't carry that kind of impact.
True, Vader's not a bad villain, but having him around all the time just makes the galaxy feel, empty.

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
Dude...

Believe it or not, some of us DON'T want to know about stuff like this beforehand. At least keep it out of the title so folks don't get spoiled by simply navigating the site...

All right fine, surprise ruined. I'll live, I suppose. Might as well give my two cents on the plot point...

If they must bring Vader back, I hope it's only for a very brief cameo. The main reason why I'm looking forward to Rogue One in the first place is the focus on a new cast of characters. I grow weary of the continued focus on the Skywalkers and their extended family. It makes the setting feel like it's taking place in a single neighborhood rather than an entire galaxy home to hundreds of quadrillions of beings.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
I thought we already knew this. Didn't we already know this? I swear this was mentioned in a previous article on Rogue One on this site.

Honestly, I'm fine with Vader being there. I feel like not having Vader in the film would be a mistake. I don't necessarily want him to have a major role, but being present and giving whoever the villain of the movie shit would be a plus. Him being present, but not directly involved would explain how the Rebels could get the plans, but him not prevent it, and be on their trail at the start of Episode IV.

Also, James Earl Jones will surely return to voice the Dark Lord of the Sith. He's done it in Star Wars Rebels. I'm sure Disney can throw enough money at him to get him to return for a few lines in a major film.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
thebobmaster said:
RJ 17 said:

This may be an unpopular stance for me to take, but I'm kind of seeing where Disney was coming from. There is a place for darkness in Star Wars, to be sure, but it needs to be balanced out a bit. To have a movie similar to a "war movie", complete with ruthless slaughter, doesn't really seem to fit the tone of Star Wars as a whole.
And that's a perfectly fine and justifiable stance to have. It would indeed be a massive tonal shift for this series.

On the other hand: that's exactly why some people - myself included - were disappointed when they heard about that. An actual war movie set in Star Wars would be something completely new and different in a universe that's very familiar. I don't blame you - or Disney - for not wanting a truly darker war story...just saying I'm disappointed that we won't be getting one. :p

The Real Sandman

Oct 12, 2009
I remember Darth Vader! He was in STAR WARS! TAKE MY MONEY!!!/s

Out of all the possible stories you can create in this huge fictional universe, why this? We know how its gonna end, so why bother?