The 2016 Steam Summer Sale Has Begun

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
The 2016 Steam Summer Sale Has Begun

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1331/1331796.jpgThe Steam Summer Sale has begun, and wallets everywhere are crying out in fear.

If you've been putting off buying another game on Steam until the Summer Sale kicks off, your time has come. We've known this sale was coming since PayPal leaked the date [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/167748-Report-Steam-Summer-Sale-Starting-Next-Week]. From today through 1 PM ET July 4, you can get deals all over the Steam store.

These are typically the two best weeks of the year to be a PC gamer, as you can get a ton of great games for anywhere from 15 to 90 percent off. However, there will not be any flash sales or specials aside from the deals that are available now. There will be featured specials, but the percentages will not change.

Head over to Clint Beastwood [http://store.steampowered.com/]. It's pretty spot-on.

Xerosch

Apr 19, 2008
I've been trying to get things from my wishlist to my cart for about 90 minutes now. Are the servers non-responsive for you as well? One would think Valve has prepared their shopping servers after all these years...

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
And sadly nothing I really want is on enough of a sale to be an instant buy for me, which means I get to agonize over paying a bit more than I want to for them.

wulfy42

Jan 29, 2009
Not impressed at all, there are a few games at the lowest price I have seen, but most have actually been on sale at a lower price, and the ones that are at an all time low I own already almost universally.

I have about 40 games on my wish list and none of them are more then 50% off. That isn't a horrid price, but it still means most are at least $10 at this point...Axiom Verge is the only one I'm likely to snag (been hoping for a bit more of a discount on that, but I hear it's very worth the price).

I hesitate due to having about 500 games in my steam library, with almost 400 unplayed (never even opened)...so buying more seems a bit silly. I especially figured I would hold off on buying more till the summer sale....but the prices do not seem that low, especially since they won't drop more for flash sales etc.

I may go without buying any for the first time, or just buying Axiom now (maybe...honestly it'll probably be on sale for less later somewhere...and i'm in no rush).

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
Hmm, Dust: An Elysian Tale is only 3 bucks. I remember thinking about getting that a while back, but being kind of put off by the overly cutesy characters. Might have to pick it up now that it's so cheap.

Metadigital

May 5, 2014
I'm kind of underwhelmed to be honest.

I know the canned response is, "It's because you already own the games you want from previous Steam sales", but that doesn't really hold up because a lot of games have come out since then that I could be buying at a reduced price. It's not like I ever bought really old games on Steam.

Also, the elimination of the flash sales and community chosen deals means I have no real reason to come back to the sales page every day. I can't imagine that'll be good for sales. On the other hand, maybe their deals have been too good in the past and Valve is hoping that people will continue to expand their game collection just to keep everything in one place.

Imre Csete

Original Character, Do Not Steal
Jul 8, 2010
Pretty underwhelming yet again, I was a fool to pass up some Humble Bundles, thinking the Summer Sale will deliver a better price and without the unwanted stuff. -.-

Xerosch said:
One would think Valve has prepared their shopping servers after all these years...
They don't have to, Valve pretty much mastered complacency by this point.

JUMBO PALACE

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 17, 2009
Country
USA
I miss Flash deals. The Steam sales used to be so much more fun. Now we get okay discounts with no reason to check back to the store. 8 Hours was more than long enough to come back and check for a deal before you missed it. I know it's mostly because refunds are a thing now but I'm still disappointed. I've never used the refund function so maybe I'm just more choosy than most.

DemomanHusband

Sep 17, 2014
Man, this sale would be great if anything actually got added to the cart. I even added funds to my steam accounts just for this, and now I can't even get anything!

I-I'll have you someday, Fallout 3 Game of the Year... You may not be good, and you may not run well on this Spyware OS known as Windows 10, but that cannot keep us apart!

In all seriousness, it's rather surprising how dull this sale is. Some jumping sandwiches on the storefront and trading cards for looking at lists of games you should totally buy. Unless Valve has something fun planned (which let's be honest, they don't.) they really aren't going to get much buzz from this year's summer sale. Hopefully they're just saving up their power for Christmas.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Metadigital said:
I'm kind of underwhelmed to be honest.

I know the canned response is, "It's because you already own the games you want from previous Steam sales", but that doesn't really hold up because a lot of games have come out since then that I could be buying at a reduced price. It's not like I ever bought really old games on Steam.

Also, the elimination of the flash sales and community chosen deals means I have no real reason to come back to the sales page every day. I can't imagine that'll be good for sales. On the other hand, maybe their deals have been too good in the past and Valve is hoping that people will continue to expand their game collection just to keep everything in one place.
With the refund thing they added, they couldn't have flash sales anymore. It would mean they would have to deal with a bunch of returns from people who bought the game before it was on flash sale.

Micah Weil

Mar 16, 2009
I dunno which I anticipate more: the actual sales or the creatively sarcastic videos that pop up with every sale.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Wow, good thing I didn't buy that newly release bartender game (I still have abit of cash in my wallet from my bro present). Now if only it stop lagging at the moment (I know ALOT of people are on it at the moment).

Also I really need to played DeadStar demo soon due to my newfound hatred for competitive games!

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
Hello Steam Sale, my old friend.
You've come to strip me down again.
Because those bargains so fleeting.
Will leave my wallet in weeping.
From the depths of my pockets I can hear,
Or so I fear,
Only the Sound of Silence.

EvilRoy

The face I make when I see unguarded pie.
Legacy
Jan 9, 2011
Hmm. Probably get Fallout, maybe doom. I wish the CAD wasn't so low right now, 80 bucks base price for a new game blows.

Nov 28, 2007
RedDeadFred said:
Hmm, Dust: An Elysian Tale is only 3 bucks. I remember thinking about getting that a while back, but being kind of put off by the overly cutesy characters. Might have to pick it up now that it's so cheap.
If you don't mind some outside input, I'd definitely recommend it. It's a bit cutesy at times, but the story is surprisingly serious in tone, and the gameplay itself is solid. Easily worth $15-20 bucks in my opinion, never mind 3.

wulfy42

Jan 29, 2009
Ended up getting axiom verge, farcry 4, adventures of teddy and dungeonmans, super chibi knight, YS VI and hero defense haunted isles...about $50 for all that. Thought about getting GTA 4...but it's discount just isn't enough and I have too much of a backlog for those kinds of games right now.

Most of those games where at least 50% off...and a few more then that. Not the best deals, and all i'm gonna get for the whole sale, but it's something.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
By far the best Steam Sale video I've ever seen. Bravo.

What I might get? Eh, I don't know. Not much probably. I'm currently eyeing the Jackbox Party Pack because I'll be visiting my parents' place for a week/week-and-a-half so that might be a fun way to spend some evenings. Otherwise I'm pretty occupied with The Witcher 3 and Overwatch.