Repeatedly Leaving Competitive Overwatch Games Could Get You Banned for the Whole Season

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
Repeatedly Leaving Competitive Overwatch Games Could Get You Banned for the Whole Season

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1331/1331810.jpg

SlumlordThanatos

Lord Inquisitor
Aug 25, 2014
Good.

I'd already seen streamers complaining about leavers, and people on the forums are talking about trolls who leave a winning team right before the match is over, nullifying their win.

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
Fantastic.
It's one of the most annoying things right now because if you're on a team that isn't doing so well, but still has a chance, it is essentially the nail in the coffin. It's also equally unfair to the random person who joins in after, they get shoved into a situation that they most likely won't be able to turn around and they get a free loss.

The only change change I wish they would throw in is slight leaving forgiveness right in the beginning of the match before the doors open. I mean don't make it excusable every time, but you do get those matches that people start picking the worst team comp "because of their mains" and you just know it's going the team is going to get bulldozed. Being able to opt of that match before it even starts would be a god send.

Feb 7, 2016
My girlfriend got hit with one of these when playing Quick Play yesterday.

She had to leave because the game was refusing to load any assets at all. She couldn't see any players, and could barely see the world, and she didn't want to be a burden on the team.

She only left twice and now she gets less experience. I guess it's better than not being allowed to play at all, and it does give me some time to catch up to her level wise :p

Also I get disconnected all the time, even though my ping is steady at 30ms all the time. Would I get penalized?

thewatergamer

Aug 4, 2012
Sounds great in theory, though I am concerned about people that are getting dropped because Overwatch's servers or their internet are having a bit of a hiccup, (like I had this morning and got warned about "repeatedly quitting" despite it being me getting dropped by the servers) Blizzard, and any other company, always needs to be careful with these types of systems when it comes to "penalizing quitters" people that quit before a game ends can be a problem, but at the same time, in can be hard to tell the difference between someone rage quitting or trying to get a free win, and someone who just had their shitty unstable internet disconnect (because as we all know, internet and servers are far from reliable)

Newage

Aug 21, 2014
DeliveryGodNoah said:

She had to leave because the game was refusing to load any assets at all. She couldn't see any players, and could barely see the world, and she didn't want to be a burden on the team.

She only left twice and now she gets less experience. I guess it's better than not being allowed to play at all, and it does give me some time to catch up to her level wise :p

Also I get disconnected all the time, even though my ping is steady at 30ms all the time. Would I get penalized?
The penalty lasts as long as 25% of your last 20 games are marked as left, IIRC. So depending on the positions of those leaves in the last 20, her penalty could last a while ( up to 16 games, in a worst case scenario -which would be her last 5 games have all been leaves-). As for your situation, it really depends on how much it happens. If it happens every 10 games, you're not at risk at all (given you don't leave other matches for other reasons). If it's every other game (or every third game), you will definitely be penalized.

FrozenCones

Dec 31, 2009
At what point is the game actually considered over? As soon as Victory or Defeat appears on the screen? Can I leave during the group picture or play of the game? I'm fairly sure I can leave during the card voting without any any penalties. I just want to make sure that on some games i'm not leaving prematurely.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
thats good. had it few times that people just leave, even when we are about to win and suddenly we are left with enemies who can over run us.
i just hope that it wont see a disconnect as leaving, because i had it few times that suddenly the game lost connection to blizzard.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
FrozenCones said:
At what point is the game actually considered over? As soon as Victory or Defeat appears on the screen? Can I leave during the group picture or play of the game? I'm fairly sure I can leave during the card voting without any any penalties. I just want to make sure that on some games i'm not leaving prematurely.
I'm gonna guess it'll be the same as the penalty for leaving early in the other mode as well, which is anytime before the victory screen, I think.

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
DeliveryGodNoah said:
Yes, and rightly so.

Feb 7, 2016
Denamic said:
DeliveryGodNoah said:
Yes, and rightly so.
You'll need to elaborate on why then.
I'm aware this is a temporary issue for those still playing, but if I "login" quickly enough it does still drop me back in the same match, though back at spawn.

I've done my best to rule out this being an issue on my end. My firewall is completely allowing anything to do with Overwatch or Battlenet in general. I don't use anything else that would take the internet while playing, and, clearly, this is an issue effecting a lot of players:
Constant Disconnects [http://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20744324272?page=11]

Feb 7, 2016
Newage said:
DeliveryGodNoah said:

The penalty lasts as long as 25% of your last 20 games are marked as left, IIRC. So depending on the positions of those leaves in the last 20, her penalty could last a while ( up to 16 games, in a worst case scenario -which would be her last 5 games have all been leaves-). As for your situation, it really depends on how much it happens. If it happens every 10 games, you're not at risk at all (given you don't leave other matches for other reasons). If it's every other game (or every third game), you will definitely be penalized.
Thank you for the clarification. She told me yesterday that the penalty has already dropped. As for myself, I'd say it happens every 8 or so matches. I've tried my hardest to make sure it wasn't my internet itself that was the issue.

Newage

Aug 21, 2014
FrozenCones said:
The moment the Victory (or Defeat) message appears on the screen, you are free to leave with no penalty (you also get the exp at that moment). If somehow you missed the opportunity to leave during the whole card+stat phase, you can also leave during the "assemble team" phase of the next round (which is the 30 second period where you start putting the team together, but don't spawn).

bjj hero

Feb 4, 2009
I can't believe everyone thinks this is great. What about real life?

I'm not a teenager anymore, I'm an adult with responsibilities and playing games is not the most important thing in life.

So if I play in the evening and my son wakes up in the night upset or unwell I'm can either let him fend for himself or risk the wrath of blizzard?

Can we remember this is a game?

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
bjj hero said:
I can't believe everyone thinks this is great. What about real life?

I'm not a teenager anymore, I'm an adult with responsibilities and playing games is not the most important thing in life.

So if I play in the evening and my son wakes up in the night upset or unwell I'm can either let him fend for himself or risk the wrath of blizzard?

Can we remember this is a game?
That's what single player is for.

Oh wait. That's an alien phrase to them.

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
DeliveryGodNoah said:
Denamic said:
DeliveryGodNoah said:
Yes, and rightly so.
You'll need to elaborate on why then.
You can't help it if you DC once or twice. That's fine. But if you go into a game in Overwatch, or any other team-based arena game, KNOWING your connection is unreliable, that's another thing. That's knowingly making the experience worse for the other players in the match. That is a dick move.