Best PC Games of 2016 ... So Far

n0e

Eternally Lurking
Feb 28, 2014
Best PC Games of 2016 ... So Far

Here's eight great games that already came out this year!

Read Full Article

Devin Barker

Aug 10, 2012
I gotta say I am very pleased with the new DOOM. I am not a big Bethesda fan but I think they did a hell of a job with this one. My only real complaint so far is the upgrade system, its not done poorly I just dont think DOOM needed upgrades. Other than that I am really enjoying the hell out of it... see what I did there?

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Doom 2016 is not a remake! It's a direct sequel to Doom, Doom 2 and you are playing as the original Doom Guy, who ultimately failed to save his dimension from the forces of Hell. You can even visit the slain corpse of The Icon of Sin in one of the levels!

It might even take place in the Doom 3 dimension, the Soul Cube can be found sat on someone's desk towards the end.

Not a remake, not a reboot, just more Doom.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
Silentpony said:
Huh. 1 for 8. Its rare galleries like this are THAT bad. Its usually 2-4 out of 8. D'oh well...
Hmm, I think I may just have found the source of your issue:

"Here's a list of our favourite games"

It seems that the article may just be an opinion piece and not necessarily a factual list of the best games. Don't worry, your personal 8 are still safe. In fact, the article actually asks you what your favourites are. Imagine that! Who'd have thought a guy would share his opinion and then ask others for theirs? It's a fairly new concept, so your confusion can definitely be forgiven.

OT: The only 2016 games I've played are Overwatch and Blood and Wine (ya, it's basically a shorter sequel for a third of the price). None of the others have piqued my interest enough to buy them at full price. However, I most definitely will be getting Inside when it comes out in a week.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
fix-the-spade said:
Doom 2016 is not a remake! It's a direct sequel to Doom, Doom 2 and you are playing as the original Doom Guy, who ultimately failed to save his dimension from the forces of Hell. You can even visit the slain corpse of The Icon of Sin in one of the levels!

It might even take place in the Doom 3 dimension, the Soul Cube can be found sat on someone's desk towards the end.

Not a remake, not a reboot, just more Doom.
Haven't played Doom 2016, but I'm very skeptical as to this assertion, namely:

-Not sure how it could be a sequel to Doom II, considering that Ultimate Doom and Doom 64 take place after it.

-Also not sure how Doomguy failed per se in the original continuity.

-Moving onto Doom 3, I suppose that COULD work. However, the game would still have to account for how the UAC went from a relatively benign corporation interested in exploiting Mars's natural resources to full on cult status that uses Mars as a broadcaster for "argent energy." Also doesn't quite sync up with the premise that the Ancients opened up the gateway to Hell, defeated Hell, fled to Earth, humans make the same mistakes, etc., as in, where the Doom Slayer's fellow knights play into things.

If Doom 2016 is a continuation of anything, I'd chalk it up to Doom 64 - Doomguy remains in Hell, remains killing demons, UAC is reborn as a cult that is somehow given free reign in exploiting Hell (because that worked out so well in every other Doom game), but a new continuity seems to be the reality of things. Pointing out stuff like Baphomet and the Soul Cube doesn't preclude those individuals/items existing in the new continuity. Heck, that the Soul Cube is there at all suggests that it can't be in the same continuity as Doom 3 because even if the UAC retreived the item from the Hellmouth, they're not just going to leave it lying around.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Hawki said:
First off, why have you not yet played Doom? Explain yourself!

Moving on, this is slightly spoiler, but in Doom 2016 there are audio logs, PDAs and holo recording scattered all over the place that spell out the story and lore in great detail. You can ignore them all and blast away but the level of detail is quite high if you're prepared to go looking.

They spell out that Doom Guy is the original Doom Guy and that Doom 1 and 2 take place in a parallel dimension, whilst Hell is a third dimension that periodically attacks and absorbs other dimensions. Doom Guy failed to prevent Hell spilling out into his reality (see Doom 2) and some time after end of Doom 2 he was successfully trapped by the forces of Hell literally collapsing a mountain onto him. It's also stated that the Demons are utterly terrified of Doom Guy after he slayed their greatest champions (Cyber Demon and The Icon of Sin).

The Cyber Demon in Doom 2016 is expressly stated to have been rebuilt. Ultimate Doom, Final Doom and Doom 64 are more or less ignored.

As for the UAC's behaviour. Exposure to Argent Energy and the dimension of Hell in general is shown to slowly drive humans insane as it warps their perception of good and evil. The cult behaviour is limited to within the base and is the source of quite a lot of gallows humour hidden in the game.

Now hurry up and buy Doom, it's on the Steam Sale!

Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
fix-the-spade said:
Hawki said:

Moving on, this is slightly spoiler, but in Doom 2016 there are audio logs, PDAs and holo recording scattered all over the place that spell out the story and lore in great detail. You can ignore them all and blast away but the level of detail is quite high if you're prepared to go looking.

They spell out that Doom Guy is the original Doom Guy and that Doom 1 and 2 take place in a parallel dimension, whilst Hell is a third dimension that periodically attacks and absorbs other dimensions. Doom Guy failed to prevent Hell spilling out into his reality (see Doom 2) and some time after end of Doom 2 he was successfully trapped by the forces of Hell literally collapsing a mountain onto him. It's also stated that the Demons are utterly terrified of Doom Guy after he slayed their greatest champions (Cyber Demon and The Icon of Sin).

The Cyber Demon in Doom 2016 is expressly stated to have been rebuilt. Ultimate Doom, Final Doom and Doom 64 are more or less ignored.

As for the UAC's behaviour. Exposure to Argent Energy and the dimension of Hell in general is shown to slowly drive humans insane as it warps their perception of good and evil. The cult behaviour is limited to within the base and is the source of quite a lot of gallows humour hidden in the game.

Now hurry up and buy Doom, it's on the Steam Sale!
Ultimate Doom is stil set before Doom II. Thy Flesh Consumed is Doomguy escaping hell, to earth, which kicks off Doom II.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
fix-the-spade said:
Well, a few reasons:

1) I was never that enthused about the new Doom for a number of reasons, so I was in no rush to get it.

2) Prior to its release, I was very dubious as to how it would turn out. Critical consensus seems mostly positive, but remember that Bethesda was holding back early review copies.

3) It's a new release, and therefore very expensive. Doesn't help that my PC can't run it, and even if it did, I usually go for a console version of a game if I have a choice, unless it's something like an RTS. So, by waiting, coupled with points 1 and 2, as far as game buying goes, I'd rather get cheaper, older, harder to get games, and wait for point 3 to be sorted out by time (lower price), and point 1 to possibly change as well (in that part of the reason is that I've never been that into Doom, and since Doom 3 is my favorite installment of the series, I'm not counting on a Doom 3-esque Doom game to come around anytime soon).

fix-the-spade said:

Well, that makes me a sad puppy :(

I'll specify that when I said "Ultimate Doom" I was talking about "Final Doom" my bad, but while story appreciation is entirely subjective, can't say I like these revelations as:

-If it's a case of one Hell and multiple alternate universes that bear resemblance to our own, that doesn't explain why Hell is so different in Doom 3 compared to the previous games.

-It's still ignoring Final Doom and Doom 64 to set up a continuity, when I'd have thought that Doom 64 would have made a good jumping off point (Doomguy chooses to stay in Hell to prevent any demon rising again).

-Even confining it to Doom II, it does rub me the wrong way, in that the game has you winning, yet it's arbitrarily declared that "nup, you lost, Hell won." Doom I sidesteps this in that it establishes how bad things are within the context of the game itself, whereas Doom II offers no hint of such a loss in its ending.

Anyway, I'm not contesting your account (y'know, haven't played the game myself), and it probably seems rediculous to most people to gripe about Doom's story/lack of it, but, well, yeah. At the least, don't see myself playing the new Doom for awhile.