New Interface Coming to Battlefield 4, Hardline, Battlefield 1

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
New Interface Coming to Battlefield 4, Hardline, Battlefield 1

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1332/1332484.jpgDICE is bring a new interface to the Battlefield series, and it starts with Battlefield 4.

There's been a fair bit of attention on the Battlefield series lately, what with the announcement of Battlefield 1 and all the free DLC EA has been giving away. DICE is taking advantage of this attention to roll out a new feature for Battlefield 4 that will be coming to Hardline and the upcoming Battlefield 1 as well: a brand new user interface.

The new UI will let players form squads before a game, and will also let them jump between Battlefield games. That means you can go from a BF4 map to a BF1 map without leaving the new UI. The official official blog post [http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf4/news/view/introducing-a-new-way-to-play-battlefield-starting-with-battlefield-4/] announcing the feature says that it is a "more relevant and fine-tuned experience that quickly gets you to the things you want to do."

The new interface is currently in beta testing with a small group of BF4 players, and will be coming to the game in the next few months. The same interface will launch with BF1, and be added to Hardline shortly thereafter.

There's no word on what this new interface will mean for the future of Battlelog, but EA has closed down their official Battlelog forums, so it's likely that we could see the long-running browser-based launcher being sunset completely. DICE Engineer Julian Manalov tweeted [https://twitter.com/_jjju_/status/746037295493558272] a confirmation that this would be the end of a browser-based launcher, saying, "No web browsers involved anymore."

Although gamers have gotten used to Battlelog, those of you that were around when it launched with BF3 will remember how much it was maligned, and you can bet that many of the people who disliked it are quite happy with this news.

A launch date for the new UI has not been set, but I would think that we'll see it at least a month or two in advance of the launch BF1, just so they have time to iron out any bugs that pop up.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
As a guy whose primary way of keeping up with a group of friends is through weekend BF4 sessions, this is great news. Battlelog is actually pretty great, literally the only problem is that it's browser based and that's just dumb.

When I got to try BF4 for a a week on PC, I was appalled. It did not seem like a very good system at all. Why do you need to open your browser, log into your account, find a server, and launch a game from there?

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
I am both delighted and disappointed.

Delighted, because everything they're adding is practical and potentially very consumer friendly.

Disappointed because BF3 isn't included on that list, which raises the very real spectre of EA doing what EA does best and rendering it unplayable by switching off Battlelog. Since BF3 is my favourite BF game and one of my favourite games ever, that would be heart breaking to me.

It would also render Warfighter unplayable, but that would only affect 184 people across all three platforms so not many tears to shed there.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
No more Battlelog? Thank fuck for that. I dont actually mind the interface of Battlelog, but it being browser based and otherwise disconnected from the rest of the game just made if feel cumbersome, and I often struggled to get it to work properly. No clue why they adopted it in the first place, as opposed to a traditional server browser, and I was still baffled that they continued to implement it into Battlefield 4 and Hardline. Anyway, good riddance.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Laggyteabag said:
No clue why they adopted it in the first place, as opposed to a traditional server browser, and I was still baffled that they continued to implement it into Battlefield 4 and Hardline. Anyway, good riddance.
DRM, nothing more.