Major Changes Coming to Destiny on PS3 and Xbox 360 in August

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
Major Changes Coming to Destiny on PS3 and Xbox 360 in August

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1332/1332544.jpgThe next Destiny expansion isn't coming to PS3 and 360, but some major changes are.

If you're still playing Destiny on PS3 and 360, you're probably already aware that the Rise of Iron expansion isn't coming to your console. If you're wondering what the future might hold for Destiny on older consoles, Bungie has published a post [https://www.bungie.net/en/Help/Troubleshoot?oid=44802' target=] that covers exactly that.

According to that post, starting in August 2016, all future Destiny updates will be available only on PlayStation 4 and Xbox One. Bungie said, "The PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 consoles will be considered Legacy Consoles and will no longer receive major updates and content releases."

While previous expansions will still be available, Bungie did say that players on "legacy consoles" will have "limited access to some Destiny events." Heroic missions and strikes will continue to be playable, as well as Crucible challenges (both daily and weekly). Also still active will be raid and boss encounters, including Crota's End, Vault of Glass, and King's Fall (including the weekly boss challenges). Prison of Elders, Challenge of Elders, Armsday Orders, and Test Weapons will also continue to be available. You can also expect rewards as normal.

Xur will continue to appear in the tower or Reef, but his inventory will be different, with these changes being implemented:

Individual Exotic Weapons and Armor pieces will no longer be sold by Xur.
Encrypted Exotic Engrams will be sold. These will decrypt into Year 2 Exotics.
Encrypted Legacy Engrams will continue to be sold. These will decrypt into Year 1 Exotics.
Heavy Ammo Synthesis, Three of Coins, Vehicle Upgrades, Motes of Light, and Glass Needles will continue to be sold.

While a lot of things will still be available on older consoles, there are a number of events that will no longer appear. The weekly Crucible event Trials of Osiris will no longer be available after August 2016. Additionally, the Iron Banner Crucible event will no longer be available. Finally, access to live events on legacy consoles will end in August 2016. Those will include limited-time events, such as Festival of the Lost, Crimson Days, or the Sparrow Racing League.

These changes will definitely be disappointing to Destiny fans who haven't upgraded to a current-gen console yet, but they aren't terribly surprising. Bungie was likely reaching the end of what they could accomplish with last-gen tech, and continuing to hold back its new content to make it work on old tech wasn't an option they liked, apparently. When the company announced that post about the changes here [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/167662-Destiny-Rise-of-Iron-Expansion-Announced-Not-Coming-to-PS3-360].

These changes will all kick in this August, and Rise of Iron launches on September 20.

votemarvel

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 29, 2009
Country
England
If they said they'd support the games on the older consoles for the length of the game's life, then they should do that.

Either they didn't realise that their future plans would not be possible on the older consoles, or they lied in order to get people to buy the game. I'm not sure which is worse to be honest.

th3xile

Aug 9, 2009
votemarvel said:
If they said they'd support the games on the older consoles for the length of the game's life, then they should do that.

Either they didn't realise that their future plans would not be possible on the older consoles, or they lied in order to get people to buy the game. I'm not sure which is worse to be honest.
Did they promise support through the game's life? I don't remember seeing that. I could be wrong but I think they only ever planned to support it for the first two years (which at the time was going to be the full life of the first game).

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
I read the title and thought "yep, those 'major changes' are the fact that the older console versions won't be receiving very many major changes (IE: updates) anymore."

Hopefully the Rise of Iron cutting off older consoles was enough to enlighten anyone who otherwise wouldn't be ready for this news.

Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
Don't worry Bungie. My copy of Destiny is collecting dust for over a year already.

Varis

lp0 on fire
Feb 24, 2012
I suppose it'd be easy to feel a bit betrayed if you've sunk lots of time playing on the older gen when the game still works, and don't have the necessary capital at hand to upgrade.

That said, I personally liked how Bungie at least doesn't charge for the game if you already own it. For either system.
Whereas I bought DA:I originally for the X360, which by the way, looked like arse on it and as I moved on with the times, had to buy the game a second time to play it on the Xbone.

Having to buy a new console and another copy of a game -I own- which is still playable, and actually going through with it really made me question my own sanity at the time.