Overwatch Now More Popular in Korean Internet Cafes than League of Legends

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
Overwatch Now More Popular in Korean Internet Cafes than League of Legends

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1332/1332738.jpgAfter holding the top spot for nearly four years, League of Legends is no longer the most popular game in Korean Internet Cafes - Overwatch is.

For the last 46 months, League of Legends has been the most-played game at Korean internet cafes. That's according to Polygon [http://www.gametrics.com/]). But LoL has finally been dethroned by Blizzard's new shooter, Overwatch.

The site lists Overwatch as being played by over 30 percent of gamers in cafes, edging out League, which sits at 27.8 percent. Blizzard has done well in Korea in the past, although that's been largely due to the popularity of Starcraft. The sci-fi RTS has been the focal point of tournaments, TV shows, and more in Korea since its launch in 1998.

While it's great news for Blizzard that Overwatch is doing so well, it remains to be seen if the game will have the sort of staying power that League of Legends did. If it does, you can bet that the upcoming Competitive Mode [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/167791-Kaplan-Competitive-Play-Feedback-Bringing-Changes-to-Overwatch] will be a large part of its success.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
What's that strange rustling sound I here? Almost like one of those rain-stick things? Oh, look! It's an avalanche of salt!

EndlessSporadic

May 20, 2009
Considering how poorly designed LoL is I am not surprised that they moved over to a new game once something well made enough came out in their market. I'm even more surprised it took this long. I laugh any time somebody mentions that LoL is a good game. It just shows me they've been brainwashed by Riot into thinking the tank meta is healthy.

Victim of Progress

Jul 11, 2011
Koreans playing a Blizzard game? Colour me surprised. Also, I wonder if all that Overwatch popularity will make FPS' more popular in Asia.

Revnak_v1legacy

Fixed by "Monday"
Mar 28, 2010
EndlessSporadic said:
Considering how poorly designed LoL is I am not surprised that they moved over to a new game once something well made enough came out in their market. I'm even more surprised it took this long. I laugh any time somebody mentions that LoL is a good game. It just shows me they've been brainwashed by Riot into thinking the tank meta is healthy.
He says after the end of the three months of tank meta into what has been a full month of carry tops. Tanks are definitely not the entire meta in either top or jungle at all times as you seem to be implying. Worlds has never been defined by a tank top lane meta, and the jungle has only seen tank occasionally since season 2.

OT- No, it won't. High end competitive play does not gel with a shooter where you can change character at any time, maps are highly varied, and hard counters are prevalent, and high end competitive play is how you get staying power in Korea. Maybe if the competitive mode does not allow mid-match class swapping it will work out.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
I'm not making any judgement calls on the "staying power" of Overwatch until after the end of Summer. I have a feeling that the game may see a dramatic drop in player count once school starts up again.

Could be wrong, but the game just feels like the current 'flavor of the month'. Time will tell.

Victim of Progress said:
Koreans playing a Blizzard game? Colour me surprised. Also, I wonder if all that Overwatch popularity will make FPS' more popular in Asia.
Also, this. Blizzard games are heavily advertised in the Asian markets, notably Korea. That the game became popular in cyber cafes, even (barely) beating out League of Legends is not really that surprising.

Wrex Brogan

Jan 28, 2016

Though LoL is hard to shake for... some reason, and Overwatch is still pretty fresh on arrival. If it manages to kick LoL's ass for say, another six months then maybe. Blizzard better keep up with them updates though, LoL tends to churn theirs out pretty quickly.

saltyanon

Sep 18, 2013
You forgot to mention that players don't have to buy/own the game when they play in PC bangs. It's the only reason why it would even be given any attention, considering it has to compete with, aside from LoL, other F2P titles like Sudden Attack, as a paid title.

I don't know how they did it but I remember hearing there's a deal between the cafes and Blizzard where they pay Blizzard a lump sump so anyone can play the game in their cafes. Don't quote me on that though.