Overwatch's Competitive Mode is Now Live on PC

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Overwatch's Competitive Mode is Now Live on PC

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1332/1332948.gif we saw earlier in the month.

The first season of competitive play will be a little shorter: just 1.5 months instead of the planned 2.5 months. It commences today, and will end on August 18.

Source: Blizzard [https://playoverwatch.com/en-us/blog/20167051]

Silk_Sk

Mar 25, 2009
Omigoodness! I played a few games. It was...it was...FUN! People actually playing as a team, picking the correct heroes, protecting their healers, STAYING ON THE OBJECTIVE! I couldn't believe I was playing Overwatch.

emeril322

Jul 12, 2012
Whelp, this was 100% exactly like quick play matches, except something about it felt even worse. Just......... I think I'm done with Overwatch. Dark Souls NG+ here I come!

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
Silk_Sk said:
Omigoodness! I played a few games. It was...it was...FUN! People actually playing as a team, picking the correct heroes, protecting their healers, STAYING ON THE OBJECTIVE! I couldn't believe I was playing Overwatch.
It's quite shocking. Playing the game when most of your teammates actually care enough to tell you when someone is flanking is so much better. Even when I lose, it feels more satisfying because at least I know everyone was actually playing the game correctly.

Xerosch

Apr 19, 2008
Stupid question from someone who's never played another online shooter except Overwatch:
Once you get a Golden weapon, do you keep it at the end of the season? Or do you have to requalify for them every time a new season starts?

Dango

Feb 11, 2010
Finally all the tryhards can get out of my games and I can actually have some fun for once.

MCerberus

Jun 26, 2013
Dango said:
Finally all the tryhards can get out of my games and I can actually have some fun for once.
If it's anything like hearthstone, there will be equal amounts of tryhard, but ranked will have tighter bands on MM (why I don't play casual on HS).

Also, I hope at some point ranked adopts a Highlander rule, since single character spam is miserable for half or more of the players pretty much always.

Ftaghn To You Too

Nov 25, 2009
People are still quiting early like scumbags. During my qualification matches, some guy left after we lost the first round, leaving us down a man for the entire match. I hope the punishments and season bans are swift for such people.

Other than that, the game is great. People are actually playing the video game rather than playing deathmatch, and I haven't seen a match yet where the team composition wasn't logical for the situation. It's definitely better than casual play, which is kind of terrible.

WindKnight

Quiet, Odd Sort.
Legacy
Jul 8, 2009
Cephiro
Country
United Kingdom
Xerosch said:
Stupid question from someone who's never played another online shooter except Overwatch:
Once you get a Golden weapon, do you keep it at the end of the season? Or do you have to requalify for them every time a new season starts?
it costs 300 competitive points to unlock one golden gun, and it looks like you get one point per win (haven't finished placement yet, so no idea if players skill makes a difference)), so yeah, its looking like they will be permanent unless their only meant for turbo nutter death god class players.

Even so, its fair to say their going to be exclusive to the very skilled and dedicated for a while. (puts the gold polish away and sighs)

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
Ftaghn To You Too said:
People are still quiting early like scumbags. During my qualification matches, some guy left after we lost the first round, leaving us down a man for the entire match. I hope the punishments and season bans are swift for such people.
Blizzard have already warned that repeated leaving will get you banned from ranked for the whole season, I'm waiting a few days before I go into ranked, because although I'm sure the threshold isn't that low, it shouldn't take long to weed those people out.

Bobular

Oct 7, 2009
Silk_Sk said:
Ftaghn To You Too said:
Other than that, the game is great. People are actually playing the video game rather than playing deathmatch, and I haven't seen a match yet where the team composition wasn't logical for the situation. It's definitely better than casual play, which is kind of terrible.
You must be playing a different game to me, I've just done the 10 ranking matches and I'd say half of them our team had a stupid configuration. 2 Hanzo's then when someone complained they both changed to an equally stupid class for the map we were doing, must have been a group just messing with people, had one game of king of the hill with 2 Torbjorn's and a Bastion, one game in Illios I only managed to get to the well once because our entire team was being silly and we couldn't even get out of the spawn point. Then there's the three games where people left just as we were winning and managed to turn a guaranteed victory (one had the cart less then 5 meters from the point with 4 minutes left and then two guys quit at the same time).

I wanted to go to competitive to play with people who actually want to compete in game but it seems like that's not whats happened, I'll probably spend more time in regular mode because at least there I don't care if people mess about (and I can mess about sometimes as well).

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
Kibeth41 said:
elvor0 said:
I'm waiting a few days before I go into ranked, because although I'm sure the threshold isn't that low, it shouldn't take long to weed those people out.
People will still leave frequently. If any other MMO game is to go by.
Well I mean in the sense that you won't have to constantly deal with it, there's no way of avoiding it 100% of the time obviously, but it will at least cut down on it once the manchildren start getting suspended for the season.