2K Finally Announces Bioshock: The Collection

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
2K Finally Announces Bioshock: The Collection

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1333/1333228.jpgBioshock: The Collection has finally been officially announced by 2K for release in September.

When we said yesterday [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/167831-Bioshock-The-Collection-Appears-on-2K-Site-Before-Being-Taken-Down] that the announcement of Bioshock: The Collection was imminent, we didn't know just how right we were. This morning, 2K made it official: We're getting a remastered release of all three Bioshock games.

Bioshock: The Collection will include Bioshock, Bioshock 2, and Bioshock: Infinite, as well as all the single-player DLC for each game. Also included will be a video series titled "Director's Commentary: Imagining BioShock," which features Ken Levine and others talking about the series.

There are a couple of caveats, though. The collection will not include multiplayer for Bioshock 2. Additionally, Bioshock :Infinite isn't being remastered on PC. 2K says that this is because "it already meets current-gen console standards and runs smoothly on high visual settings."

Game Informer [http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2016/06/30/bioshock-the-collection-remasters-trio-for-current_2d00_gen-consoles-and-pc-in-september.aspx] learned (and confirmed with 2K) that if you already own Bioshock, BioShock 2, and/or Minerva's Den on PC, you'll receive the upgraded versions for free. That's a nice boon for PC gamers.

You can get all the info on the collection in this post on the 2K blog [https://blog.2k.com/news/bioshock-the-collection-announcement].

Bioshock: The Collection is set to release for PC, PS4 and Xbox One on September 13, and will carry a retail price of $59.99.

[gallery=6317]

Strayal

Aug 17, 2008
Arnoxthe1 said:
Why the hell did they take out Bioshock 2 MP?
Likely the effort required for a small portion of one of the three games. Besides, the multiplayer in Bioshock 2 was largely considered to be superfluous, and not a terribly popular addition in general. I say this as someone who both dearly loves Bioshock 2, and really, really liked the multiplayer.

step1999

Mar 11, 2010
I love that they're giving PC players the upgraded versions for free. Gives me a reason to finally get around to finishing 2.

Pyrian

Hat Man
Legacy
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
Country
US
I just hope they fixed the bugs in Minerva's Den. Everyone says it's great, but I couldn't even get very far without constant crashes.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Well, atleast its a collection, and also, hey, I own all the stuff on PC, but I never got around to Bioshock 2 or Infinite. First just because I was distracted, but then cause multiplayer achievements. So now I can play Bioshock 2 on PC and not worry about multipayer achievements, yay.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
Strayal said:
Arnoxthe1 said:
Why the hell did they take out Bioshock 2 MP?
Likely the effort required for a small portion of one of the three games. Besides, the multiplayer in Bioshock 2 was largely considered to be superfluous, and not a terribly popular addition in general. I say this as someone who both dearly loves Bioshock 2, and really, really liked the multiplayer.
Who says they have to remaster the MP though? Just copypaste what was in it before.

JUMBO PALACE

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 17, 2009
Country
USA
So wait, if I buy Bioshock 1 right now during the Steam sale for peanuts I'll get the remaster for free? That's actually pretty cool. Unless someone can tell me I misread and you have to own everything to get the new versions.

I don't really care for remasters as I don't see how I could feel that nostalgic for a game that came out in a time frame like A little while ago , but my 360 is caput so I don't mind springing for a few last gen games that I can no longer play.

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
This is too good for me at the moment, I am wading through my back log, like an explorer with a machete hacking away at wines and bushes. I've played like 7 hours of skyrim and that is getting a free visual upgrade, the only bioshock I have completed is the first ... something compelling about it, this voice just kept asking me to stuff kindly and I just felt compelled to do it.

Either way, I've played about 2 hours of 2 and 7 hours of 3, so if I get all the DLC free then WEEEE! I will wait to play them till that comes to fruition.

What's got into game devs these days or is it the publishers? How do people who bought the DLC feel?

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
JUMBO PALACE said:
So wait, if I buy Bioshock 1 right now during the Steam sale for peanuts I'll get the remaster for free?
As far as I can tell, if you own the games on Steam, you'll get the updated version for free. I'm not saying I'd go buy them on the Steam sale, but I think I'd go buy them on the Steam Sale if I didn't have them already.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
This would be a great deal if I didn't already own everything Bioshock related on PC. Fucking love this series! Half tempted to buy it just to support more Titles.

suitepee7

I can smell sausage rolls
Dec 6, 2010
step1999 said:
I love that they're giving PC players the upgraded versions for free. Gives me a reason to finally get around to finishing 2.
Aye, it's a really nice touch. I can basically change the article for me to "have some free remasters". Very happy with this, looking forward to an excuse to revisit these games again.

Ten Foot Bunny

I'm more of a dishwasher girl
Mar 19, 2014
Saelune said:
*snip* Bioshock 2 *snip* multiplayer achievements. So now I can play Bioshock 2 on PC and not worry about multipayer achievements, yay.
Took the words right out of my mouth! Despite me snipping part of your post to clarify what I wholeheartedly agreed with, that is. ;)

Curse my completionist ways. I never started Bioshock 2 because I didn't want a game on my card that I couldn't finish without hours and hours of pointless grinding. I love the fact that the game is coming back without the once-obligatory multiplayer mode. It ruined Dead Space and F.E.A.R., so it's nice we're going to see Bioshock 2 as a creative tour de force, unchained from atmosphere-killing dickheads spawn camping and teabagging each other.

JUMBO PALACE

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 17, 2009
Country
USA
ffronw said:
JUMBO PALACE said:
So wait, if I buy Bioshock 1 right now during the Steam sale for peanuts I'll get the remaster for free?
As far as I can tell, if you own the games on Steam, you'll get the updated version for free. I'm not saying I'd go buy them on the Steam sale, but I think I'd go buy them on the Steam Sale if I didn't have them already.
Thanks for the chuckle. There's definitely worse ways to spend $3.99

Steve the Pocket

Mar 30, 2009
Personally, BioShock 2 was nothing if not a confirmation that BioShock would have benefited from another few months or so in development. Everything about the gameplay and environment design felt like a big improvement. If I had to pick one game to get straight-up remade/rebooted, without regard to the people who would complain that they're "messing with a classic", it would be BioShock. Having them just plain remaster both games feels like a wasted opportunity at best and an insult at worst. I especially wonder if they're going to keep all of the code exactly the same and just update the graphics, or if this is at least a Black Mesa-esque from-scratch recreation that might introduce new bugs but get rid of old ones (like the janky AI that causes Big Daddies to aggro if they're get hit with a stray bullet from a hacked turret).

EndlessSporadic

May 20, 2009
"Will retail for 60 USD"

Why would I buy that if I can get all 3 games for $5 from any Steam sale and the games still hold up extraordinarily well?

"Free upgrade for PC gamers"

I stand corrected. Way to go, 2K.

Extra-Ordinary

Elite Member
Mar 17, 2010
Neat, I never got around to Minerva's Den and while I think that Bioshock 2 is the weakest in the series, I've been told the DLC is actually really good.
I still own Infinite on 360 and the original on Steam but as a mainly console player, being able to own them all on PS4 is too good to pass up.
Kinda expensive though, oh, I'm gonna get it, don't be ridiculous, but don't collections usually come out for $40 US or am I confused?

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
On the one hand, I definitely want to get this. But on the other hand, I definitely want to get this. However, on the third, imaginary hand only saved for padding out word counts, I would feel a little sad in the knowledge that somewhere in the aether of an old Xbox live account, there exists BioShock 1 and infinite already bought and owned. Still have yet to play the DLC though. so maybe I'll wait for a sale or an unsuspecting, over privileged child exiting a game shop, looking marginally and temporarily smugger than i.