PlayStation Vita Gets a Twitch App

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
PlayStation Vita Gets a Twitch App

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1334/1334158.jpgLooking for a use for your PlayStation Vita? Use it to watch Twitch!

The lack of new releases on PlayStation Vita has been a running joke for a while now. It's been reinforced by the lack of Sony showing off anything new at E3 the past couple of years. Today there's a new release for the Vita, but it's not a game - it's a Twitch app.

The new app will let users watch live Twitch streams and recorded video. You'll also be able to browse channels and see a featured selection of PlayStation broadcasters.

The app will also work on PlayStation TV, which means that there is now a Twitch app on every Sony platform (That's also true of Microsoft platforms as well).

While it's not a system-selling app, it's at least a nice addition for those of us who already own the handheld.

OuendanCyrus

Jun 16, 2010
Does this app allow streaming PS Vita games via Twitch though? Now, that would be awesome.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
OuendanCyrus said:
Does this app allow streaming PS Vita games via Twitch though? Now, that would be awesome.
Would love to stream some Senran Kagura.

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
How popular is twitch? Is it as big as youtube gaming or what? 'cos I've never really gotten into it but I guess a twitch app for my poor little vita can't be a bad thing

EIDT: just realised my mistake, I meant the gaming community on youtube. Not so much the people who stream on youtube. So like (and this might be a bad example) Northernlion is in the youtube gaming community but not in youtube gaming. I actually totally forgot "youtube gaming" is a thing.

The Enquirer

Apr 10, 2013
So basically watch people play games on a game system that hardly has any games released for it. Sony's getting cynical now.

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
It's pretty late for this, but better late than never.
omega 616 said:
How popular is twitch? Is it as big as youtube gaming or what? 'cos I've never really gotten into it but I guess a twitch app for my poor little vita can't be a bad thing
I've never used Twitch, but I'd say it is pretty big. Youtube apparently thought Twitch was enough of a threat to their numbers to try to buy it and, failing that, make Youtube Gaming.

jayzz911

Nov 9, 2010
omega 616 said:
Didn't know people used youtube gaming. I just went looking for the youtube gaming stream with the most live viewers. 1.1k viewers on an overwatch stream. The highest one on twitch currently is 85k. It generally goes to about 120k during some tournaments for specific games (cs:go,LoL). As far as gaming livestreams go, twitch eclipses youtube gaming and then some.

Hiddelgreyk

Sep 29, 2015
Oh come on, the Vita does still get releases.
No big ones, though. It's a shame, really.

OuendanCyrus said:
Yeah, it would. But I doubt the Vita could handle it...

Leg End

Romans 12:18
Oct 24, 2010
Country
United States
Cool. So when the fuck is it getting a PlayStation Vue application?
omega 616 said:
YouTube Gaming is basically meant to try and compete with Twitch, and it failed hard to do so. It's huge.

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
Hairless Mammoth said:
jayzz911 said:
Fhqwhgod said:
LegendaryGamer0 said:
just realised my mistake, I meant the gaming community on youtube. Not so much the people who stream on youtube. So like (and this might be a bad example) Northernlion is in the youtube gaming community but not in youtube gaming. I actually totally forgot "youtube gaming" is a thing.