Red Dead Redemption Coming to Xbox One Backwards Compatibility This Week

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
Red Dead Redemption Coming to Xbox One Backwards Compatibility This Week

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1334/1334206.jpgGo back to the Wild West when Red Dead Redemption becomes playable on Xbox One this Friday.

The Grand Theft Auto games are some of the best-selling of all time, but Rockstar's most-loved game might be Red Dead Redemption. The Wild West tale of outlaw-turned-family man John Marston was a huge hit when it was released in May of 2010.

If you've been itching to replay Marston's story, but couldn't bother dragging out your Xbox 360, you're in luck: Rockstar announced today that the game will hit the Xbox One Backwards Compatibility program this Friday, July 8. That means you'll be able to play RDR on Xbox One if you own the 360 version (that includes Undead Nightmare and the Game of the Year Edition), and if you don't, you can buy the game on the Xbox One Store.

This is welcome news for fans of the game, as it was briefly backwards compatible speculation has swirled [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/166336-Red-Dead-Redemption-Removed-from-Backward-Compatibility] about a sequel to Red Dead Redemption being announced this year. Hopefully, we'll hear more about what games they're working on in the near future.

Now if we could just convince Rockstar to make it a Xbox Play Anywhere title, we could finally get that PC version we've always wanted.

NLS

Norwegian Llama Stylist
Jan 7, 2010
About damn time. I bought RDR back in February when rumour had it was coming to backwards compatibility, but they quickly pulled the game download.

Mar 26, 2008
I wonder if this means anything for Red Dead Redemption 2? Wasn't one of the reasons Rockstar were holding off the backward compatibility was so it didn't overshadow (or take work away from) RDR2?

darthzew

Jun 19, 2008
Digital version's also currently on sale for $7.50, so if you don't own a copy, now is a pretty good time.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
ffronw said:
Now if we could just convince Rockstar to make it a Xbox Play Anywhere title, we could finally get that PC version we've always wanted.
I don't think that anyone wants Red Dead Redemption restricted to GFWL 2.0.

Fijiman

I am THE PANTS!
Legacy
Dec 1, 2011
Well this might finally give me a reason to play the copy of the GOTY edition I bought like two years ago and never touched.

Kingjackl

Nov 18, 2009
I've been lukewarm on the trend of current-gen remasters, but if this gets one all is forgiven. And not just backwards compatability, get us a proper XB1 version at 60FPS, a proper PS4 version and a PC release.

NLS

Norwegian Llama Stylist
Jan 7, 2010
KingsGambit said:
So....they're making an X86 version of the game to run on XB1...and not PC?

Rockstar are c***s.
No. Microsofts tech properly emulates the PowerPC based architecture without any extra work or features. The only thing Rockstar did here is sign the legal papers, while Microsoft loaded it up into the emulator.

Making a proper x86 version for PC or current gen consoles would actually require Rockstar to do some porting of the original source code.

broadbandmink

Apr 28, 2014
Does anybody know if Rockstar has addressed the issue with hacked multiplayer servers in conjunction with this announcement?