Nintendo Shares Rise 25% Following Successful Pokemon GO Launch

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Nintendo Shares Rise 25% Following Successful Pokemon GO Launch

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1335/1335520.jpg
Nintendo has added over $7 billion to its market value, thanks to Pokemon GO.

Love it or hate it, there is no denying that Pokemon GO has been a massive success for Nintendo. It is reportedly used CNBC [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/167907-Pokemon-GO-Nearing-Twitters-User-Count-Sparks-Stories-Good-and-Bad], reports that Nintendo shares have surged 25% following the smartphone game's launch, and has added around $7.5 billion to the company's market value.

Nintendo stock closed up 24.52 percent on Monday at 20,260 yen ($199.70) per share; this followed Friday's gains of some 8.9 percent. Pokemon GO was rolled out on July 6 and is currently available in the U.S., where it's dominating the list of top free apps on both the App Store and Google Play Store, as well as in Australia and New Zealand. It is expected to be released in Japan soon - a move which will no doubt further add to Nintendo's coffers.

Mia Nagasaka, an equity analyst with Morgan Stanley MUFG Securities, said that the estimated daily turnover for Pokemon GO on the first day was around 400 million to 500 million yen ($3.9 million to $4.9 million).

Source: CNBC [http://www.cnbc.com/2016/07/10/nintendo-shares-surge-20-pct-on-hopes-for-pokemon-go-smartphone-game.html]

wulfy42

Jan 29, 2009
I thought the app was free? How are they making money.

Even people who have never heard of pokemon are playing this game. I've yet to try it, but I will probably eventually install it on my ipad and try it out. I'd even get my wife involved....if there are no hidden in game purchases that she could buy (she has spent thousands of dollars on them in the past so I avoid getting her involved in anything like Candy Crush etc anymore.

sid

Jan 22, 2013
wulfy42 said:

Even people who have never heard of pokemon are playing this game. I've yet to try it, but I will probably eventually install it on my ipad and try it out. I'd even get my wife involved....if there are no hidden in game purchases that she could buy (she has spent thousands of dollars on them in the past so I avoid getting her involved in anything like Candy Crush etc anymore.
I mean, it's not that bad in Pokemon Go, but they're still there just so you know.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
Given the ever increasing size of its install base, the possible amount of transactions is probably really, really high.

They could also introduce advertising for item grants and rake even more dough.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
I am so glad we have Sun and Moon coming out. If Pok?mon becomes solely a mobile game series, then all the good will Nintendo has built with me since well...birth, will be worthless.

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
Saelune said:
I am so glad we have Sun and Moon coming out. If Pok?mon becomes solely a mobile game series, then all the good will Nintendo has built with me since well...birth, will be worthless.
Pokemon has ALWAYS been a mobile game series. The original game was on the gameboy.

DarklordKyo

Nov 22, 2009
Eric the Orange said:
Pokemon has ALWAYS been a mobile game series. The original game was on the gameboy.
You know what Saelune means. Don't want Pokemon to become another Candy Crush (yeah, Nintendo has a little more integrity than to do that, but still).

infohippie

Oct 1, 2009
I just hope this gets Nintendo to consider releasing the core games on phones. I know I would very much enjoy the core Pokemon games, but I've never actually played one because there's no way I'm going to buy specific unique hardware just for one single game series, especially at ridiculous Australian prices. Nearly $250 for a 3DS? Not a chance! If I could get them for a more general purpose device, however, (such as my phone) I would definitely buy them and play the hell out of them.
I've always thought Nintendo should get out of the hardware business and concentrate on their software franchises - multiplatform of course, because I would still not buy a console to play them on.

deadish

Dec 4, 2011
wulfy42 said:

if there are no hidden in game purchases that she could buy (she has spent thousands of dollars on them in the past so I avoid getting her involved in anything like Candy Crush etc anymore.
How do you think they will make money?

Edit: I have heard though that they will be making some money via "advertising" - i.e. pokemon spawn locations are up for auction as well as product placement in the form of items.

That said, in-game purchases will probably still happen - the Pokemon GO is really a reskin of another game called Ingress and is developed by the same company (on behalf of Nintendo) and Ingress has a store ...

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
Saelune said:
Eh I don't really see that ever happening. Main series Pokemon shifts consoles like no tomorrow. I think Pokemon GO exists for fun, even if it is making them buttloads of cash, rather than an indication of Nintendo moving towards a mobile orientation.

OT: Probably should've seen this happening....and bought nintendo shares.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
elvor0 said:
Saelune said:
Eh I don't really see that ever happening. Main series Pokemon shifts consoles like no tomorrow. I think Pokemon GO exists for fun, even if it is making them buttloads of cash, rather than an indication of Nintendo moving towards a mobile orientation.

OT: Probably should've seen this happening....and bought nintendo shares.
Oh, I hope you're right, but Nintendo's businessman CEO really has me worried. Iwata dies, he takes over, and suddenly Nintendo has phone games on the brain. Unlike Sony and Microsoft, Nintendo was the pure gaming company, run by developers. They weren't doubling as a computer software or media company. They made games and gaming consoles.

Fulbert

Jan 15, 2009
I don't mind Nintendo making mobile games as long as they are tailor-made for mobile devices (unlike ports of console games only with shitty touch screen controls) and they are not made to the detriment of the core games. Don't know about the second condition yet but as far as the first one is concerned, things look promising.

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
wulfy42 said:

Their are Microtransactions, but everything u can buy in the sotre, u can get from leveling up and visiting Pokestops.

The only thing u can buy that isn't is increasing your item and pokemon count but seen as though there are only 151 pokemon in the game and 250 spaces it's pretty useless to get it.

xaszatm

That Voice in Your Head
Sep 4, 2010
Saelune said:
If anything this game has been doing exactly what Nintendo wants it to be doing. Sales for Pokemon X, Y, Alpha, and Omega have jumped so high they're back on the top 20 list. It's almost as if Nintendo stated that the mobile plan was to entice people to buy their games.

Steve the Pocket

Mar 30, 2009
It's funny how this happened because Nintendo grossly misinterpreted their fans' message. The fans said "Hey, Nintendo, why can't we play Nintendo games on our phones?" and what they meant was "Hey, Nintendo, the days of dedicated handheld gaming devices should be long gone now that my phone is just as powerful." But what Nintendo heard was "Hey, Nintendo, we like playing allegedly-free cow clickers designed to milk us for money instead of real games you just buy. You should start making those." And it seems to be working out for them so far. This has me concerned.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Saelune said:
Hasn't it always been a mobile series, with the exception of N64 oddballs like Snap/Stadium?

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Johnny Novgorod said:
Saelune said:
Hasn't it always been a mobile series, with the exception of N64 oddballs like Snap/Stadium?
"Mobile" in gaming context means shitty phone games. Id use portable for actual on the go gaming systems.