Evolve's Player Count Surpasses 1 Million

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Evolve's Player Count Surpasses 1 Million

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1336/1336158.jpg
Evolve's numbers just keep going up and up.

Last week, Evolve went surge in new players [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/167880-Evolve-Returns-to-Steam-as-Free-to-Play-Title] that many assumed would peter out before long. However, its player count just keeps going up and up, and there are now over a million people playing Evolve.

Evolve's official Twitter account boasted about the milestone [https://twitter.com/EvolveGame/status/75335240701526425], and to celebrate, is giving away Griffin's Blood Eagle Hunter skin for free to anyone who logs into the game between now and July 18 at 10 AM PT.

According to Steam charts, the game has peaked at 51,000 concurrent players, which is more than double the 25,000 we saw it hit last week.

The new version of Evolve, which has branded itself as Evolve: Stage Two, is currently completely free. Players earn Silver Keys by playing and can use them to unlock hunters, monsters, skins, and perk upgrades. There are no cash transactions in the game at this time, though that may change in the future, as the game currently only features four of the original game's maps.

Are you playing the new Evolve? Do you think Turtle Rock have taken the game in a better direction? Do you think this surge in players will last? Let us know in the comments.

Source: Twitter [https://twitter.com/EvolveGame/status/753352407015264256]

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Game is horribly balanced.

I was brand new to the game and I've won every single match where I've played as the monster. 100% win rate.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Come because its F2P.

Stay because of EMET. [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7tLir6YO3M]

Zhukov said:

I was brand new to the game and I've won every single match where I've played as the monster. 100% win rate.
Have you not considered that hunters need to work together to kill you, and that a massive majority of the playerbase is just as new at the game as you are?

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
gigastar said:
Zhukov said:

Have you not considered that hunters need to work together to kill you, and that a massive majority of the playerbase is just as new at the game as you are?
If one role requires perfect coordination and teamwork and the other lets you just repeatedly slap your forehead on the keyboard then I'd say that's an indication of poor balance.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Zhukov said:
gigastar said:
Zhukov said:

If one role requires perfect coordination and teamwork and the other lets you just repeatedly slap your forehead on the keyboard then I'd say that's an indication of poor balance.
If you really managed to take down a hunter team in such a manner then that could only mean that they knew little about what they were doing.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
Zhukov said:
gigastar said:
Zhukov said:

Stage One (I guess thats what to call it?) had this too. Monsters seemed ludicrously powerful at first. Then Hunters learned to play (because the game forces everyone to play hunters more then monsters with how the matchmaking works (or worked, if they've altered it) and the monster got caught and curbstomped everytime.

Then the monster learned how to sneak around and be effectively invisible, leading to the "30 minutes of walking" style of matches that became the norm.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
Good for them, I guess.

Now the game will need to prove it also has what it takes to keep a playerbase going.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Seth Carter said:
Stage One (I guess thats what to call it?) had this too. Monsters seemed ludicrously powerful at first. Then Hunters learned to play (because the game forces everyone to play hunters more then monsters with how the matchmaking works (or worked, if they've altered it) and the monster got caught and curbstomped everytime.

Then the monster learned how to sneak around and be effectively invisible, leading to the "30 minutes of walking" style of matches that became the norm.
They've rebalanced it.

Well... re-"balanced".

Monsters can't sneak around. Well, they can still sneak, but it's no longer viable. All hunters can throw down the dome and the tracker now gets a satelite scan ability on a modest cooldown that gives all hunters an arrow on their compass pointing straight at the monster for about ten seconds.

That's in addition to all the usual tracking tools (Daisy, birds, tracking darts, spotting, etc etc). So if they lose the monster's trail then they just pop a scan and they're right back on it.

Monsters are now more powerful at stage 1 and 2. They can wipe the hunters at stage one if the medic and support aren't too bright. At stage 2 a wipe is almost guaranteed in my experience. You rarely see stage 3.

There also seems to be a really tight time limit. Although I don't know what happens if you hit it.

Now monsters just charge around at top speed eating everything ASAP, get stage 2 and win.

gigastar said:
Zhukov said:
If you really managed to take down a hunter team in such a manner then that could only mean that they knew little about what they were doing.
But neither did I, that's the thing. If I were an old player stomping the F2P noobs then fine, but I'm brand new. Hell, I'm even lower level than most.

My entire plan is "Kill the Medic first." That's it. No leet strats or secret knowledge. There's not really anything they can do to stop you. The assault doesn't have the raw damage to kill you in time, the support can shield the medic but only for a while and the tracker can only slow you down a little. Then once the medic is down you start whaling on the others, while slapping about anyone who tries to revive the medic. Then you win. 100% of the time apparently.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
Zhukov said:
Seth Carter said:

They've rebalanced it.

Well... re-"balanced".

Monsters can't sneak around. Well, they can still sneak, but it's no longer viable. All hunters can throw down the dome and the tracker now gets a satelite scan ability on a modest cooldown that gives all hunters an arrow on their compass pointing straight at the monster for about ten seconds.

That's in addition to all the usual tracking tools (Daisy, birds, tracking darts, spotting, etc etc). So if they lose the monster's trail then they just pop a scan and they're right back on it.

Monsters are now more powerful at stage 1 and 2. They can wipe the hunters at stage one if the medic and support aren't too bright. At stage 2 a wipe is almost guaranteed in my experience. You rarely see stage 3.

There also seems to be a really tight time limit. Although I don't know what happens if you hit it.

Now monsters just charge around at top speed eating everything ASAP, get stage 2 and win.
Ah well, it sounds like they're really kind of lost their core gameplay concept in the hunting aspects. Granted, that was flawed, and I have no real idea how it could've been fixed, but it sounds like they burned it into a fairly pedestrian 4v1 shootout.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
didnt get it when it came out because of the micro transaction. got the game when its free. got the game then, played for 90 min but got bored after 10 min. did not care if i won or not because its soooo boring. removed game afterwards and have never looked back.
still happy i have never bought the game in the first place.

Alrom

Jan 7, 2013
I've played it for about 12 hours so far and I'm enjoying it.

I haven't played "stage 1" but the process to make the game more fast paced works for me.

About the unbalance aspect of the game. Well when I played as a monster at levels 1 till 15 I never lost. After that I started getting matched with some teams that can destroyed me so much it was pathetic from my part.

"I need to kill the medic but the trapper keeps hooking me and then there is the support shielding whoever I'm targeting and this pyromaniac keeps throwing flames at my face! Wait how the hell did the medic get all the way over there? Oh he healed EVERYONE back to full health? How is this happening!?"

Killing a monster knowing how much teamwork is required is really satisfactory. Right now I probably only win 1 out of 3 matches when I play hunter but I really don't care. I'm having fun.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
They have some momentum, but in order to maintain it, they will have to make significant advancements on an almost monthly basis. That's how MMO's work. This game is an MMO (Minority [a hand full of players compared to the hundreds in a game like WoW] Multiplayer Online), so now they have to have an adaption rate identical to an MMO.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
See I played this game hundreds of years ago when I got a character skins for Left 4 Dead and changed the Tank to a giant Silent Hill monster with the voice of Randy Savage.
It was okay fun.