Nintendo Announces the NES Classic Edition Launching in November

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
Nintendo Announces the NES Classic Edition Launching in November

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1336/1336241.jpgIf you always wanted to play games on a classic NES, you'll get your chance this fall.

Every year at Christmas a gamer somewhere gets a knock-off console from their grandmother. She knows you like "the video games," and so she brings you some console with a few pre-installed knock-off games. But this year, your grandma could bring you an actual NES, because Nintendo is releasing the NES Classic Edition in November.

This mini-replica of the original NES will almost fit into the palm of your hand. It attaches to your TV by way of an HDMI cable, and it will come pre-loaded with 30 classic titles. Priced at $59.99, it includes a classic controller that will be instantly familiar to those who played the original console. Nintendo has confirmed that the console will support two-player play, and a second controller can be purchased for $9.99. If you happen to have a Classic Controller or Classic Controller Pro, those will work as well.

Nintendo of America president Reggie Fils-Aime said of the console, "We wanted to give fans of all ages the opportunity to revisit Nintendo's original system and rediscover why they fell in love with Nintendo in the first place. The Nintendo Entertainment System: NES Classic Edition is ideal for anyone who remembers playing the NES, or who wants to pass on those nostalgic memories to the next generation of gamers."

There won't be any sort of online connectivity for the console, but it will include a pretty impressive list of classic games (see below). Unfortunately, you won't be able to play any of your classic cartridges in this system.

The NES Classic Edition will land in stores November 11, and will be priced at $59.99. It look like it will be a great way to check out the games many of us grew up with.

Games included:

Balloon Fight
Bubble Bobble
Castlevania
Castlevania II: Simon's Quest
Donkey Kong
Donkey Kong Jr.
Double Dragon II: The Revenge
Dr. Mario
Excitebike
Final Fantasy
Galaga
Ghosts N' Goblins
Gradius
Ice Climber
Kid Icarus
Kirby's Adventure
Mario Bros.
Mega Man 2
Metroid
Ninja Gaiden
Pac-Man
Punch-Out!! Featuring Mr. Dream
StarTropics
Super C
Super Mario Bros.
Super Mario Bros. 2
Super Mario Bros. 3
Tecmo Bowl
The Legend of Zelda
Zelda II: The Adventure of Link

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Hrmm... On one hand that's pretty cool, on the other, its pretty expensive for like 30 year old games even tho its got some really good ones.

I think I would really want to see an SNES version of this.

I wish it had Dragon Spirit and Guardian Legend.

Bobular

Oct 7, 2009
Sony: We're bringing out a new version of the PS4
Microsoft: We're bringing out a new version of the X Box One
Nintendo: We're bringing out a new version of the NES

Nintendo always has to be different.

Will they actually be bringing out any other games for it? Can it play old NES games if you still have them lying around/buy them from eBay?.

MegaGame

Sep 27, 2013
Bobular said:

Nintendo always has to be different.

Will they actually be bringing out any other games for it? Can it play old NES games if you still have them lying around/buy them from eBay?.
"you won't be able to play any of your classic cartridges in this system"

Also the consol fits in one hand, that is about the size of the cartridge, where whoud you put it in?

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
hm...Aren't these games $4 each on the virtual consoles? If that's true of all thirty games than what you're looking at is a pretty decent discount wrapped into a nostalgic little package. $119 or so verses $60 not counting tax but then these seem to be really popular or well known games for the most part. The people who would be really interested in buying this (ie: me) likely already have a lot of these games. If I could add more games onto it via SD card or internet connection that would be neat...maybe if this sells well enough they'll launch a second model with different games. I think I'll just hold out for the SNES one they do in a few years.

Gorrath

Feb 22, 2013
I'd be interested if there's some way to get additional games. If not this is just a really expensive and very limited emulator.

Gatlank

Aug 26, 2014
MegaGame said:

Also the consol fits in one hand, that is about the size of the cartridge, where whoud you put it in?
"Nintendo has confirmed that the console will support two-player play"

The original could support four.
Why i'm suspecting Nintendo didn't exactly plan this through... or that was the point?
It looks more like a collector's item to be put on the shelve than to be plugged on a tv.

NLS

Norwegian Llama Stylist
Jan 7, 2010
Gatlank said:
MegaGame said:

Why i'm suspecting Nintendo didn't exactly plan this through... or that was the point?
It looks more like a collector's item to be put on the shelve than to be plugged on a tv.
Did the original NES really support 4 controllers? Never seen more than 2 ports on the console. Sure, they released an accessory that allowed for 4 connected controllers, but that would only apply to a selection of games that in turn supported 4 players. None of those 30 games included in this NES rerelease are 4 player games...

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
Tempting. I never had a console of my own until the N64, and the idea of playing classic titles on the couch without having to go to a friend's house is enticing indeed. Still, I think I'll hold out for the system I have fonder memories for...

SirSullymore said:
I would buy a SNES one in a heartbeat.
This. I've never been fond of "NES hard" difficulty, and the SNES helped alleviate this with far more games supporting the ability for save files. It also had a controller that was ergonomically pleasing as opposed to the NES' palm-blistering rectangles. And the games...good Lord, its game library was nothing short of legendary.

Gatlank said:

Yeah, but only via external hardware addons. As a result, only a handful of games supported the feature.

drkchmst

Mar 28, 2010
I'm getting a little offended by how many times Nintendo tries to sell me the same games. While I naturally want this, I own most off those games like 5 times by now on various platforms including the original

Blazing Hero

Feb 20, 2015
If it actually played cartridges then I would buy it in a heartbeat. I would love a NES with an HDMI port...

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
Meh, Nintendo is just now getting in the retro micro console market. Third parties have been making official and unofficial clones/emulation machines for over a decade. At this point and from what it looks like Nintendo is offering here, their attempt seems to only appeal to collectors and maybe someone who wants to play at least $60 worth of NES VC titles. (It's a good deal for those select few.) It just doesn't look like it's worth it unless you don't have a Wii U (with internets) but are dying to play 25+ year old NES games.

Maybe they will include upgrade-ability, like adding games via flash memory from the VC and possibly adding SNES games (with a new controller coming out to support them). Although knowing Nintendo, this micro console might be locked to just what's there and they may have plans to release more hunks of plastic with more NES games or moving up to a SNES box.

Final Fantasy, the NES Zeldas, Metroid and many others on that list are very archaic compared to their sequels and remakes. If someone really wanted to see the roots of their favorite franchises first hand, they don't have to go far to trip over the numerous compilations and rerererererleases most of these games are in. It may have been better if these games were put together in a Wii U VC bundle, put on a different, existing system (like Nintendo would ever do that), or offered as part of some sort of NX deluxe edition. (Why make extra plastic junk.)
Bobular said:
Nintendo: We also could bringing out a new version of the Wii U and 3DS, combined into one, but we won't tell since there are still mountains of old Wii Us we need to sell.
Or:
Nintendo: We're also bringing out a new version our trademark console gimmicks, but we are still not ready to show anything.
drkchmst said:
I'm getting a little offended by how many times Nintendo tries to sell me the same games. While I naturally want this, I own most off those games like 5 times by now on various platforms including the original
Yeah, this is getting somewhat excessive, with the VC being a thing that is still being updated with new titles. It's clear they are getting desperate to fill the void in the holiday shopping season left by the new Zelda's delay and whatever other Wii U games got switched to NX development.

I have 3 or 4 ways to play NES Metroid, all of which were from it being included with another, original game. I don't need to buy another way to play it, or any of the other games on this list, either.

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
I'd get one if Guardian Legend was one of the games included. My original version and console are fine but my controllers are dying.

LostCrusader

Lurker in the shadows
Feb 3, 2011
Looks like they prettied up a raspberry pi and put an NES emulator on it. I must have it.

Recusant

Nov 4, 2014
My first thought was "the only way that's an actual NES is if Andre the giant has risen from the dead to endorse video game consoles" (which, come to think of it, isn't that bad of a reason to rise of from the dead; for most people, it's just about revenge). But if it's that small, it's not going to support the old cartridges, and most of those were pretty popular games; doesn't Nintendo do some sort of classicly-retroy-distribution thing? I realize I'm in no way the target demographic for this; my NES works just fine. But aside from novelty, what's the point?