Game of Thrones Season 7 to Debut in Summer 2017

Lizzy Finnegan

Mar 11, 2015
Game of Thrones Season 7 to Debut in Summer 2017

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/927/927445.jpg

HBO has confirmed that Season 7 of Game of Thrones will be shorter, and later, than usual.

HBO has confirmed [https://medium.com/hbo-cinemax-pr/game-of-thrones-s7-production-9c12d317565d#.1mmgojdcp] that Season 7 of Game of Thrones will premiere in Summer 2017, a few months later than typical, in order to accommodate the shooting schedule "now that winter has arrived." Additionally, the season will be shorter than typical, with only seven episodes rolling out.

"Now that winter has arrived on Game of Thrones, executive producers David Benioff and D.B. Weiss felt that the storylines of the next season would be better served by starting production a little later than usual, when the weather is changing," Casey Bloys, president of HBO programming, said in a press release today. "Instead of the show's traditional spring debut, we're moving the debut to summer to accommodate the shooting schedule."

Last week Game of Thrones received 23 Emmy nominations for its sixth season - the most of any nominee for the third year in a row - including acting nods for Peter Dinklage, Kit Harington, Emilia Clarke, Lena Headey, and Maisie Williams, along with Outstanding Drama Series, Outstanding Writing for a Drama Series, and more.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Maybe this means that a certain someone will be able to release the next book before the season airs.

Right?

RIGHT!?

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
I can guess this could be the final season or at least the second to last season? That what it sounds like to me!

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Seven episodes for the seventh season in the year 2017, set in a land that has seven kingdoms, seven circles of Hell, and seven gods to judge mortals.

...yeah, it's probably a coincidence. Just like it being in summer despite winter having finally arrived.
erttheking said:
Maybe this means that a certain someone will be able to release the next book before the season airs.

Right?

RIGHT!?
I admire your optimism. ;)

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
So long as the last season doesn't get delayed as well. Waiting longer for less doesn't sound like the best of ideas.

Zeke63

Jul 10, 2012
erttheking said:

Right?

RIGHT!?
He will it has already been confirmed he's just waiting for a holiday release for the same reason we always get videogame droughts every year with most all the good titles coming out around christmas time. Better sales. Plus releasing in winter given the title and all makes sense too.

Zeke63

Jul 10, 2012
Evonisia said:
So long as the last season doesn't get delayed as well. Waiting longer for less doesn't sound like the best of ideas.
Dude it's not lesser just because it has less episodes. Think about how epic episode 9 and 10 of season 6 were in terms of over the top battle sequences and special effects (plus the episode w hodor). They are doing less episodes to heighten the quality both in terms of how much they can spend on each episode as well as for better pacing.

The show isnt good about it (pacing) like Martin is in the books. Nothing substantial in terms of plot movement can happen for a while and the books still engage you. I know im not alone in always being a little let down at the start of each season since I know how heavily stacked the last few episodes in each season has been in terms of plot development and epic moments.

So many scenes feel so filler like if only because they stalled not knowing where to go since they caught up with martin and didnt know where to go since he didnt give them much to go on. Being more succinct with less episodes is better for this reason as well.

LESS is MORE in this case. TV budgets are finite, the imagination's is infinite

Apr 5, 2008
TBH, I'm a little disappointed at this. I would rather just one more ten episode season and that be it. For an extra 3 episodes, give or take, they're having two mini seasons that air later, over two years instead of one. I dislike the development very much. I'm going to watch it, it goes without saying, but this way of doing it is not a good way. if they really want 13 hours, then make 10 episodes for season seven and two "Feature length" 90 minute telemovies or the like as a finale.

Apr 5, 2008
Zeke63 said:
So many scenes feel so filler like if only because they stalled not knowing where to go since they caught up with martin and didnt know where to go since he didnt give them much to go on.
While I wholeheartedly agree about how much filler the last few seasons have contained, it's absolutely not because "Martin...didn't give them much to go on".

The showrunners, Benioff and Weiss, know everything that Martin has planned. He's told them everything. If he hasn't told them everything, he's telling them as they need to know for the show. They knew about Shireen and Stanis for example two years ago and that will happen in the next book. They've revealed major events like the Hound's survival, Jon Snow's parentage, Hodor's fate and origin and all the other major season 6 events we've seen.

They absolutely know where the story ends and how it ends and while details may differ, the grand plot doesn't. Martin has given them everything, if not, everything they need. The filler isn't because he's reticent or secretive or whatever you might think, it's because the writers believe that's how TV drama works. While there's a lot of guff in season 6, they did end it in a good place. On the basis that as an entertainer you should always leave the audience wanting more, they did that very well ;-)

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
They wasted 3 years screwing around and dragging out the story inches at a time, and now they're going to try and cram too much in 13 episodes.

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
So they announce there will be about 13 episodes remaining, then they cut it in to two seasons... I knew a longer season would be too good to be true!